SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Where Were You? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/)
-   -   I cant make more than two days! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/322483-i-cant-make-more-than-two-days.html)

studog1901 02-10-2014 10:58 PM

I cant make more than two days!

I try. when at work I'm 100% sure I won't drink after work. but fail every time. My partners daughter called me a drunk casually. and she's 8 and I'd never thought she'd seen me drinking.

Dee74 02-10-2014 11:09 PM

Hi and welcome studog.

I once couldn't go more than a few days either.
Support really helped me stay strong, and I know you'll find a lot of support here.

Come and check out our Newcomers forum too - you'll find a lot of support there as well :)

Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D

1newcreation 02-10-2014 11:11 PM

Hi & welcome
Maybe you're defeating yourself w/ you're own words. Stop worrying about tomm or this wknd or even st Patrick's day-live only in today. 'twas the same for me thinking "I will never drink again" or can't make a wk. here I am @ 18 mths by only living 1 day @ a time. Have you considered aa or gone to a mtg? Out of the mouth of babes; that's probably & I believe God is speaking to you to do smthg now before who knows what happens in the future

FeelingGreat 02-10-2014 11:12 PM

Hi SD, after work was always my danger time as well. I had to change my routine a bit to avoid those triggers. Here's a few things that worked for me:
- I got a juice from a juice bar right after work - helped with the carb cravings
- I commute, so was able to walk some of the way home.
- I started drinking tea as an alternative to alcohol - it became my relaxation ritual
- I didn't allow myself to get hungry, thirsty or tired
The idea is to break the habit with some other routine which fills the need to wind down after work. Lots of people here found going to the gym helped.

studog1901 02-11-2014 01:01 AM

So funny you mention the gym. I run on a treadmill I have here.,. but still what determines that is my cravings on my way home from work. :-(

Redmayne 02-11-2014 05:50 AM

It's better than ...

Two days, is better than no days, small victories, lead to huge triumphs....

The definition of success, is where people fail, and fail over and over again, whilst still retaining the enthusiasm to succeed...

Don't be to hard on yourself...you're worth more.

KateL 02-11-2014 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Redmayne (Post 4463681)
Two days, is better than no days, small victories, lead to huge triumphs....

The definition of success, is where people fail, and fail over and over again, whilst still retaining the enthusiasm to succeed...

Don't be to hard on yourself...you're worth more.

Totally agree xx

Redmayne 02-11-2014 08:06 AM

Winston Churchill...

Winston Churchill actually said,'The definition of success, is the ability to go from failure to failure, with the same degree of enthusiasm,'....

I know that saying applies to my own road to recovery, and eventual lasting sobriety..as I'm equally sure it applies to many others...and will to you, if you give yourself a chance.

No life is without events that test and challenge it...

studog1901 02-18-2014 12:19 AM

Thank you all for your support. Made it seven days. Stumbled today but feeling better about myself. Thanks for the advice. Been on the treadmill 5 times this week. But still finding coming home from work the hardest thing. Still, one day at a time.

1navy1964 02-20-2014 01:58 PM

Hello, I have been sober not even a day. I have no idea how to stop.

Redmayne 02-20-2014 09:42 PM

The very nature of alcoholism...

This won't make you stop, there's only you can do hat, but it might make you think...

There are only two ends to alcoholism, insanity or death, most alcoholics hope the latter comes first.

The disease/illness of alcoholism is progressive, it makes you physically, mentally and spiritually bankrupt.

It's the only disease that'll tell you, you haven't got it.

This is the very nature of alcoholism...

Mags1 02-20-2014 09:47 PM

Hi studog,

Yes you can! It's not a gift, it ain't easy, I know, tell me about.

But the results are really really and honestly worth it.

Give it a go, find something yo replace the alcohol cravings, no , as I mentioned, it ain't easy, but what's the alternative, see redmaynes comments.

You can pass day 2 , it's just numbers, days, hours. Give it a go.

We are here for you, it wasn't a holiday for us but slowly and surely we are reaping the rewards of being sober.

I wish you well x

Dee74 02-20-2014 09:48 PM

Hi 1NAVY - welcome to SR :)

Like I said to Studog, please do feel free to check out our Newcomers forum - you'll get more feedback there :)

D

WillB 02-24-2014 12:35 PM

You're not alone STudog. For one, I'm in a similar place. Right now I'm on attempt 10 in the past 3 months to stop. Each time I stopped for 3 or 4 days, start feeling really good and thinking wow this is great that I don't have to drink.

Than a fleeting thought of just a couple beers...then two becomes 8 or 10 and before you know it I'm back to 12+ per day.

I have a definite feeling of two steps forward, one step back but I have to keep fighting...Just wish there was an end. You know, work at and succeed at not drinking for 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, something and you won't have to think about it ever again.

Good luck on you journey to recovery and thanks for posting!

Echelon1 02-28-2014 05:42 AM

60Hrs here like, FeelingGreat said "I didn't allow myself to get hungry, thirsty or tired"
I have my hardest times at night so I jump into the chat room and that really helps. Now I just have to figure out how to sleep. Great advice everyone I know this has helped me. Thanks

LooseGrip 02-28-2014 08:30 AM

Welcome Stud and Navy. I like what someone said about going for a juice bar after work...or a milkshake/icecream? Or why dont you plan to meet a non-drinking friend for dinner? When you get home you can listen to your favorite music while reading and posting here on SR. That's how I've been doing it. There is alot that I like to do besides drinking...and now much much more than drinking. Good luck to you both.

Carlotta 02-28-2014 08:44 AM

Welcome to SR.
This is something I had to address too (picking up beer after work) and what I did was change my itinerary so I would not pass the same convenience store and buy myself a chocolate bar which works both as a pick me up and also as a reward.

Redmayne 03-02-2014 12:22 AM

Thanks for your useful post....

Thanks for your useful post....love the quote from Albert Camus to! Really good...:c011:

Stoogy 03-21-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Carlotta (Post 4500030)
Welcome to SR.
This is something I had to address too (picking up beer after work) and what I did was change my itinerary so I would not pass the same convenience store and buy myself a chocolate bar which works both as a pick me up and also as a reward.

Carlotta makes a great point about routine, my usual would be leave work and grab a 12 pack of beer and head home drink the lot and go to bed, repeat again etc. I would always go to the same store every day and got on first name terms with the assistants there, then after my "moment of clarity" (sorry for using the oldest term we have) I started popping in for my daily litre of milk for my coffee, the guys still ask to this day after 4 months "no beer today?" 😄 no and never again..

Katsmeeyow 04-23-2014 12:22 PM

I know I'm late to the game here, but the after work thing really got me because that's always when I crave it too! But what I want is Vodka shots! Shoot me now! It's always right when I'm getting ready to leave work...oh just a few mini smirnoffs...what can it hurt? :a213:

I found that if I tell myself, it's just a craving and it WILL pass, breathe deeply, it does go away. I'm less than a month sober but in the last 6 months I was able to cut back drastically (not every darn night anymore), and then finally quit. I'm really praying I can get through every day and not drink because I'm really feeling good, skin is looking much better, face not puffy, hair soft again, I just feel "WITH IT". :scoregood

And that in the past is precisely when I'd say, ah 1 or 2 doesn't hurt. Except of course we all know it isn't just 1 or 2. Now, I tell myself it never ends like that; I think it through to the next morning. I'd let down my fiancé, my daughter, myself, wake up feeling like crap. Most of all I'd let down myself, knowing all that hard work and all those times I didn't give into the craving just down the drain and basically I'd be starting over. Because the minute I take the first drink I want to keep drinking for days.

I've also noticed that I don't particularly like the flavor of vodka (I used to think I liked the flavored ones), and I'm really just after that giddy buzzed happy feeling. But it never ends with just that does it? Before I know it I'm in the "OH CRAP what did I say" moment.
So I really try to remember that I don't like the taste. Anything to help.

Thanks for listening.