Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 23

Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Last summer in Mexico I met a guy who was a grunge fanatic. He worked at the hotel and he once he found out where I was from and that I was in the middle of all that when it happened and he was amazed. He asked me tons of questions whenever he saw me. Who did I see, what records did I have, did I ever meet Kurt, etc.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Morning all- quick check in.

Feel about 80%. Fancy date night after a host shift at work. Probably yoga in between- have managed to do something physical every day this week on top of work even if gentle "yoga for runners" tape.

I don't quite understand people's "thing" for music though I know tons who have it. The 90s are my teen decade, so it is indeed touching (for lack of a better word) that so many of our icons/etc are gone....not unusual bc demons etc get every generation and we all know "creative types" are not unusual in this regard, but I think that whenever we came of age is particularly relatable regardless of how invested we were/are in music, etc.

Happy Friday!

Lee? Other strangers?

Take care-
A
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

That's okay, August. I'm like that about movies and tv. I REALLY got into music and it never really left me. I'm a complete rock nerd.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I'm like that about books. I have sooooo many. And more specifically, quote anthologies and collections/writings.

Such a perfect day off. Short run and yoga (a more challenging video this time!), feel just about back to normal, meeting, nap then cooked dinner for us. Personally, I enjoyed it more than the fancy schmancy food last night

We watched a great movie (found it on Amazon - may be elsewhere)- called "Generation Grounded." About recovery schools (specifically, Archway in Houston) for teens with alcohol and drug problems. For Cliff as an educator, a parent of teens, and of course us as alcoholics, it was a really good thing to see. Lots of the issues/causes/problems/etc of addiction are the same with adults and kids/teens but SO many are not. We did a little research- GA does not have any of these schools, and the closest in the SE are in TN and FL; there are lots in TX, CA, MA and MN. Cliff had an interesting perspective because some states are more charter friendly than others. Good watch for everyone.

REALLY excited about Ben's Friends work- trying to arrange a "Mocktails & Sushi" Yelp night at the restaurant where we have our meeting; I've gotten the OK on a flyer to give to restaurants to put up in the staff notes area every one has....also working on a video catalogue of each meeting that members can access.....and more stuff. Clearly have found my passion. Feels so good.

15 months tomorrow. Cliff will have a year on Jun 9! First house showing is tomorrow and the dogs go to their new homes this week. We are tentatively thinking Jul 1 for a new lease, with some leeway given when house sells and that I don't have to be out til Sep.

WHEW. Yay. Good stuff.

Hope you are all having good Sat-
Take care of yourselves
A
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Morning all- where and how is everyone?

Busy here- lots of good conversation with my step-daughter to be- getting her up to speed on our plans...very well received. Proud of how we have handle everything about our relationship and (gulp!) family-to-be.

Rainy here- last night was strange and zoo-like (on a Mon?!) at work. We'll see what it is like today in more nasty weather.

Hope all are well-
A
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning. Off to Denver today. The grunge thing is kind of sad. Three of the lead singers (Kurt, Lane and Chris) are now dead from suicide or drug overdose. Tortured souls.

My brother now has my mom and is trying to get her acclimated to the new place. It's not going good. I simply have to let go now. I can't fix the dementia or the issues that come with it. I have taken her to the best doctors in the country. The new home is equipped to do the job. I have to stop worrying. Ughh.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hugs and thoughts with you, Badger. My sponsor has been dealing with a similar situation- her mom is here and mainly her responsibility.....her sister moved down here and is still a drinker...not same as you but a difficult fam situation. Separation is HARD - I have been learning (and am much better) and getting better at that with my parents (including their own current health problems)....

A PR friend has asked for flyers for all of her staff to give to their restaurant clients (that is her sole client base). Good, good stuff.

Day off, thank goodness. Better sleep (til 515 from about 11, and no middle of the night snacks, ha )

Yoga - wth? I finally started it and have done it four days in the last week. Sort of happened by accident since I was sick and needed lower impact workouts for this plan/group I started.

How are you quiet people? Please just peep in

Oh- AND - Cliff and I discussed a LOT of specifics (amazing how many there are about creating a new family living together...like, you know, maybe not being up in just my underwear and a tee like I usually do once I live with a 15 year old!!) and he sat down with Keegan to discuss the big and small. Including marrying me, explicitly. She is very happy with how things will change, if both excited and a little nervous (we all are!). The next 4-8 weeks are going to be huge.

Happy Wed all-
A
Old 05-24-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Badger, that is so tough. I'm sure it will take a little time for your mom to adjust but you have provided the best care and facilites, nothing more you can do. Impossible not to worry about aging parents, however as time goes on and things settle it will get better . Hang on. Xoxoxo.

August, what do u think of yoga, what type are you doing?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Penny- I am enjoying it so far. I am doing a Yoga for Runner's session on one of the videos in the exercise/diet program I joined, and Yoga for Core...so far. I will get into the more active ones soon, I think.

Weird night at Cliff's- so much going through our minds and planning and.....we debriefed this morning about how everyone was feeling last night - all good, just one of those nights that really shined a light on how significant our changes are!!

Have a great day all-
A
Old 05-27-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Just saying hi quickly. Have a great weekend everyone! Nice long one here in the states!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hey PHRD! Glad to see you.

OMG yall. Last night at work. there was not one....but TWO fights. The first, two guys on the street outside the restaurant were fighting and for some reason a guy at the table right inside that could see started pounding on the window to get them to stop (I guess- what the hell?) and broke the whole window. And of course hurt his hand. The second was a real melee- a 13 yr couldn't wait to get all the way to the bathroom to throw up (a kid! this happens!) and puked on the floor/by one table/got some on it and guests. A BRAWL broke out when apologies were demanded from the kid's parents on the OTHER side of the restaurant....I saw the whole thing ON VIDEO because when I came down from the patio, it was just ending and people were still yelling as they went outside and I cleaned up forks. That someone threw on the ground from our server stand- someone else had gone for a knife- and someone else went into the kitchen to find whatever else they could use for....whatever. So the cooks all came out. I mean- this is pure insanity. And a PERFECT example of the black/white "split" in Atlanta and the ghetto behavior of some black people going on raging display.

Day off. I didn't even mention the two problem tables I had- one started out with a woman SLAPPING her child for something.

Jesus H on a piece of toast. I am exhausted and my emotional capacity is low.

Happy Sat all
A
Old 05-28-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is well in their silence!

Sunday - Ben's Friends and work later.
Saturday- we found our new apt! And the house has had two showings in four days and a lot of action on Zillow. Also, dogs safely at their new homes. Things are really getting real

Take care-
A
Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Sorry you had to deal with the melee, August. That sounds incredible... the front window is broken, so you had to up plywood sheets overnight or what? As for the behavior, yes....I can believe it. It's too bad that some people don't know how to behave. At some point it may be necessary to create "private restaurants." I know of at least one in Seattle. Very swanky, members only. It's called the Ruins.

The Ruins
Old 05-30-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

August that is awful. OOTT is right. People cannot behave. Checking in. Busy. Where is Miss OT?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

The window was plywood-ed over til the repair guy came late, after the restaurant closed. By the time we opened next day it was fixed.

Signed apt papers - and Cliff called my dad for his blessing and talked with both my parents; talked with his parents about our plans and proposing; Keegan is on board with all; Cliff's older child (son) is on a plan to go back to school....it has been a BIG couple of days.

Didn't do it intentionally but when I got the upcoming schedule, I realized I now have vacation Sat-Wed....that's like REAL vacation day time! So I think I will keep it and we've come up with us focused and getting-things-done stuff to do...I am also looking forward to a meeting every day. I've had 3-4 in the last few weeks and don't want to slip on that.

Hope all are well- early night for me.
A
Old 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Glad to hear all is going well on the wedding front. I asked for my father in law's blessing too. Vacation sounds good. I wish I had one coming up. I am in Denver today. The weather is great.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Thursday, everyone!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Vacation planning...probably Cabo again.
I love to tempt fate. Alcohol-soaked tourist places, and of course, I'm jumping off the waterfall again. This time I'm going to work on my form when I hit the water.
I want to go back to Disneyland too. We had a great time in April.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm still alive. I've been moving around a lot for the past few weeks so I've been using the times I had reliable WiFi to get work done. Should be all good from now though.

Lots of college work to do and only a month left until it's all over. It hasn't been a great year, but it's been necessary, so I'm really looking forward to being out of there. Just booked a two week getaway going from Budapest to Vienna, lots of cheap hostels and travel so hasn't cost that much at all. If anyone has any suggestions on what to go see, or tips then please let me know.

I see I'm not the only one vacation planning.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Great to hear from you OT! Your trip sounds great. I've not been to Hungary, heard it is interesting, especially the language to our ears. Ive been Planning a vacay here too. Going to NYC after Thanksgiving to see the city all lit up for the holidays. Museums, dinner, Broadway.

OOTT, I loooove Disney all decorated too. Mid week very early December no crowds. Snows on Main Street 9 pm

. Badge, probably heading home now. Hope things have settled a bit for Mom?

June gloom as usual here, I love this weather. Been a bit down in the dumps but not one moment of temptation. That's a relief. I think the white knuckling OVER.

Xoxo everyone