Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 12

Old 06-21-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by OMD View Post
Hi,
You're right I have sort of disappeared and I don't feel good about that. We only travel our road once and even though I know that, it just sometimes gets a bit bumpy. I have so very much appreciated the life changing journey with you guys.

Best wishes

OMD
I hope things are going ok for you OMD. You have not dropped by often recently, and your posts seem rather terse. We are here to support each other in good times and bad.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wow! It's amazingly quiet here.

I hope that means everyone is busy being awesome!

Have a great weekend guys!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Big stress in my world at the moment. I will tell you about it but don't quite have the strength to do so right now. Not drinking, don't worry. Take care all.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wishing you the best Amp in your time of struggle!
Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

So... There's been a group of people at work that have turned really negative. A couple of them weren't complying with their responsibilities. We've had appraisals and conversations and in the end a couple left voluntarily because they weren't happy with the positions I offered them for the coming academic year and another guy, who in the past I may even have considered a friend, after a long conversation on April, decided it was best if we went out separate ways. I did my best to work out the remaining time amicably and it seemed to go pretty well. They were earning too high for putting in minimum effort but it was just easiest to let it ride.

What I didn't realise was how vindictive these people were going to be. The whole team had arranged to go for a drink on the last day of term, but between leaving the building and arriving at the bar, these guys had jumped in a cab and sent photos of themselves giving us the finger from somewhere else. One of the guys still had work the next morning, but since his pay cheque had cleared he didn't bother showing up. I found that petty cash was missing, a hard drive and our Google drive had also been wiped. Pretty full on for a hands-on guy like me in a small business.

Anyway, along with these losers who were burning their bridges there was another employee to who I had offered a renewal. I knew he was friendly with these guys but thought he was different, but when I saw him in the photos, I knew I didn't want him back so I asked him what happened by text. He said that they'd spontaneously got a cab and it was not his idea. I asked why he couldn't have let me know he wasn't coming to meet us and he didn't answer. After a couple of hours I texted again saying that on reflection I felt it would be a best if he looked for other work in September. He flipped out and called me. I gave him my reasons and he became insulting so I hung up. He a then texted me giving me a hard luck a story about how badly he needed the job. Against my better judgement, I phoned him back a and agreed to meet him on Monday to discuss things. He told me that because they had been out celebrating he hadn't let me know that he wasn't coming to drinks and that he knew nothing about the photos or any of the other stuff, and that I was being unfair.

Only later that evening a colleague checked in on me to see if I was ok. I asked why and she said that I must be pretty shaken after what this guy had posted on the staff forum. This is what the b*stard had written for all my colleagues and staff to see:

Dear Candleman, I think to tell someone that they have no job a day after finishing work and shaking their hand a promising them a position for the following year is a despicable thing to do. You never struck me as a man with a lot of balls and you have proven me right. I was very much looking forward to coming back to work and now I have nothing to come back to. I hope you can work on being less of a spineless keyboard warrior and more of a man and a boss.i should spoken to me rather than sending me a Whatsapp message. I'm so disappointed in you as a human being.

Have a fab summer everyone (not you Candleman)

I was in absolute shock, but yesterday morning I phoned him and gave him a piece of my mind and told him never to come near me or any of our centres again.

I have recieved threats and insults and have been rubbished in front of the people I am supposed to lead.

Tomorrow I go to work and will see if this guy wants to turn up there and add assault to the cooperate offences already committed.

So... That's my story. Trying hard to stay positive. It's not working 100%
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

What a horrible way to end a tumultuous year for you and your business Amp. You carried and paid these under performers all year, only to have them lash out at you.

I hope that when the smoke clears, you can hire the people you need to replace this rabble and continue forward with your business. I have worked for two small family business's over the years, and I have seen the stress that they have gone under during difficult times. You have a 24/7 job with never a moment off. You are allowed to feel crappy right now. It's a huge testament to yourself Amp that you have been able to weather this storm without drinking.

I hope that you can find some calm to be able to rationally move forward in smartly resizing and retooling your business. It sounds like you have some time to gear up for next fall. Dust yourself off and begin the rebuilding process. You have built a business from scratch once before. At least you are not starting back at the beginning once again. This is not an impossible hurdle to overcome if you take things slow and steady. You can do this!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have to deal with that Amp.
Sometimes I despair for the human race.

I wouldn't like a guy like that working for me, so I hope he cuts his losses and doesn't show up.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Thanks so much SG and Dee for the support. Yesterday went by without incident and I'm feeling a little more positive today. Another of my team posted this on our forum:

You can't have poisonous people in the company. Seems to me that G has chosen sides, based on what facts, I don't know, other than ire and bile. They didn't fit into A's ethos and work ethic, which is fine, so they will find their own level but to leave in this childish and spiteful way shows serious immaturity. A has done the right thing.

Nice to see that some people are happy at work and are behind the project. In fact most people have contacted me individually to check I am ok. Restores a bit of faith... I'm still wary, wondering what will happen next. These people are clearly extremely vindictive. Even so, I'm a little more positive now, so we'll see how it shapes up...

I feel good that I haven't considered drinking-therapy at this time!!! Seems that my sobriety is still strongly in place
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's better to cut the cancer out now before it spreads. I'm glad that you seem to have a loyal core of workers whom will help provide the foundation on which to rebuild upon.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hope you are feeling a little more grounded today Amp!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

I'm getting there, mate. A lot of people have made a point of showing their support which has made it easier. I read that negative experiences will either define your, break you or be growthful. I'm going with growth
Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's a great attitude to have Amp! It's must be good to see a show of support from many folks. Chalk it up to a growth experience.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Geez Amp. I almost felt the angst when reading that story. It resurfaced the feelings I had when I was blasted on Facebook by a customer will lies. Which, btw, broke 1 million shares and ended up on at least 3 news stations who showed my picture!

You're 100% Right about your response choices. In my case, I needed to learn about forgiveness. That was super hard to do at first. I wanted to hurt this guy. And I'm not one to have those feelings. I don't hate people. Dislike many, but not hate. We're all human afterall. But this guy I hated with a passion.

It was the Facebook event that lead me to discovering Dr Wayne Dyer. I was searching for ways to feel forgiveness in place of hate. Took a lot of work, but I got there. And I didn't feel an ounce of relief until I did.

So yeah, I'd say I am better now because if it.

It sounds like you're taking the high road, which is awesome. I find that you'll have more supporters that way. As you show forgiveness, others don't understand it completely. They become almost awed by the response.

I'd get "you must be really angry! Have you hired a lawyer?". The more I down played it, the more they up played it and the more they "had my back". Certainly better than griping and bitching about it to the extent nobody would want to hear my son story any more!

This is just another pillar added to support your sobriety. You're response would have been VERY different if you were still drinking, and you recognize that. Just another "thank God I'm not drinking any more". It's nice to have those once in a while.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great thoughts Inc!

Super busy with work currently.

Best wishes for a great weekend all!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Early day at work today and then a couple of days off.

I hope things are continuing to slowly fall back into place Amp!

How is the job search going Inc?

OMD, Cauli??

Enjoy the day all!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Hey brothers and sisters!

Been in a funk. Discovered I was in it yesterday and "woke up". I was sitting around overwhelmed. The job hunt is going slow. Mostly because I was sitting around!

So I got something's done yesterday. And this morning I went for a 2mi run. Ate a wholesome breakfast and ready to crush the day.

Action Jackson is back.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome back Action Jackson!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Action Jackson! Loving the attitude, Inc!

I'm getting back on top of things too. Still licking the old wounds but feeling much more the ticket! Take care all!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Got a fair amount done yesterday. Not much for job hunting other than speaking to somebody I used to work with about a job posted where he works now.

SG... It's JC Penny. The posting is for ops Mgr which is my background. Pay, as posted on reviews is more than my last job.

I have two concerns: will it stay open, and I was hoping to get out of retail.

I am exploring ops Mgr in other industries with plans to get project or process mgt certified. There's so many jobs out there looking for people who are certified, it's crazy
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Inc, I would definitely check them out before jumping in. They are closing their store in the largest East Coast mall by me, which doesn't seem to bode well for their future. I see them in a death spiral like your last employer. However, if the money is good, and perhaps they have brought in smarter upper management, it may be worth a shot. You can keep building the resume towards your ultimate dream job.

Happy Fourth Inc! Actually have the day off because it fell on my regular day off. We were totally slammed and understaffed yesterday, as being a Tuesday holiday, many folks did not make it a long weekend. The great thing about not being on salary is that I left after putting in my ten hours. They don't want me to ever go beyond my mandatory eight hours of OT each week.

Enjoy the day all!