Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 12-27-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey Lee, Badge, Aug, Phoenix, and PHRD, thanks for checking in. Happy Holidays and New Years to everyone!
Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
Such an interesting time of the year...the doldrums between Christmas and New Year's. This year has been different though because I've been really reflective and Happy this season. It has been a super interesting year.

I've been noticing so many negative vibes on Facebook about 2016, I get the celebrity deaths, etc, they have been horrible----but I think all of us, and I think, this is actually one of the BEST years of my life. It's nice to be on the other side of the fence, for once.

Be good everyone!
Lee
Old 12-27-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Except for one issue, this has been the best year of my life. No question about it. Got sober. Got married. It's been fantastic, and 2017 is going to be even better.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Yes and what's with announcing every celebrity death all over the radio, internet, etc. I can see icons like Prince being a big deal but it seems like anyone is now shocking, important news.... hmmm. Agreed, fantastic year for Fort Febs and so much to be thankful and grateful for. Super excited for 2017!Bring it on!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Unfortunately it sells papers August. George Michael. Carrie Fisher. The wire is not fast now. So all encompassing. So negative. It stresses me out at times.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Morning all-
Looking forward to work this morning. Busy weekend ahead- hoping someone will let me work their NYE (no big drinking plans for moi!) and take my night-of on NYD since Cliff will be back from the week on a cruise. We will see, and it will be fine.

Spent most of my day off sleeping - after AM errands- and was in bed before 9. Feel fine this morning for sure, but maybe need to check with my dr as it is definitely excessive. Did notice I was a little bored yesterday so napping was an easy time-occupier....

Reading an interesting book on the stages of development for teenage girls. We are planning my active intro and participation into his daughter's life and my wise sponsor suggested I get a little material under my belt; since my main experience is being a 14 yr old girl (eons ago) and my immediate connection to her is empathy with her situation/mom stuff, she had some good points about understanding more and also about the possibility I will veer into familiar territory - on the side of my mom, so to speak. All this adult relationship-ing! Feels good- and makes something that is a really big deal feel more step-applicable.

Have a lovely day all-
A
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Badger, I was just reading about celebrity death and oversharing on Facebook. People post stuff wanted to emote and share and it brings other people down. I know, my sister and I were just talking here at work about Carrie Fisher and George Michael's deaths. Actually, George Michael's death was particularly sad. Alone on Christmas day.... now I'm part of the problem, aren't I?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't mind people reporting celebrity deaths - thats legitimate news - a lot of these people are important to many...but the muckraking that usually ensue simply to keep the story alive is deplorable.

D
Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Muckraking is right. George Michael was outed as a bitter, lonely druggie within about 12 hours of his death in the Daily Mail.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well, I am an active Face-Booker and it is just UNBELIEVABLE how people kindle fires of negativity......yes, celebrity deaths are always shocking, but most of my friends are at least close to 50....when I saw Star Wars I think I was 7.......60 is WAY too young to die, don't get me wrong (Carrie Fisher), but....I think it is people unwittingly staring at their own fates one day...

For me personally, this has been the VERY BEST year of my life since 1989, when I was a senior in high school. Without a doubt. The amount of self growth and reflection has been astounding.

And today is MONTH 10------PHRD-------yesterday for you! Can't believe it's only 2 months away for one year, but also feels like WAY over a year.......soooo....to all of the 2016 haters....I will remember it as one of the BEST ever!!!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Debbie Reynolds 😭
Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

So sad...
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yep
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Weighing in on the negativity aspect as well as the "blaming 2016" - wow, that is such a popular train of thought! I had a friend yesterday post a good article about how it is certainly NOT the year's "fault" and went on to point out the very real aspects of substance abuse- even years before- contributing to womens' health and in particular heart attacks.....it had very salient points and a friend of hers just blasted back with such negativity it was startling. A lot of this reminds me of the discussion surrounding Robin Williams' death and how some people really glossed over the significant mental health issues he faced.

Anyhoo- as Lee said, and another friend pointed out on FB yesterday- for plenty of individuals this has personally been the or one of the best years ever. We got sober- what about all the people who had longed for babies? A loved one who went or stayed in remission from cancer? Etc etc.

I choose to celebrate life - mine and others.

Enough there....

Up super early because I went to bed super early - no nap though. Still working through this sleep thing. And as strange as it might sound related to my energy level- when I am up and going it is fine, so maybe it is time to add "more" to my days so the boredom and fatigue are less. Dunno, will explore.

Day 310! That makes 365 seem incredibly close! And while I work to stay in the present for sure, my thoughts have been going to year 2 and what folks report, and what might happen as I think about the difference in "milemarkers" and settling into a sober life. Makes me want to bolster my program even more for whatever will come in the next phase.

Happy Thu all-
A
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm hitting 50 - a lot of my idols (as well as other celebs) are hitting 60, 70, 80...this is going to be a pattern for the foreseeable future I think.

D
Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congrats on 310, August. You're doing so great!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks, OOTT!! Feel pretty great right now, too.

At 40, with parents who are 71, everything about age and dying seems different than it did a few years ago- especially now that I am sober and have a clearer sense of time passing.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? Remember how she said that. We would meet again. Some sunny day?
Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Carrie Fisher lived a hard life after SW. She needed SR in a big way. I don't care too much for FB or other social media sites. Too many people get their news from those sites and most of it is biased or downright lies. It gets folk worked up for no the wrong reasons which is not good IMHO.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Club Dee. Its a good club. One starts to view life differently at 50 I think. Of course I am only 27.