Notices

One Year & Over Part 39

Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Modern medicine is great but there are some things that challenge our reptilian Medulla Oblongata
lol!

thats soooooooooooooooo itch!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Blue and Itchy and here I thought I was the ultimate Heinlein fan
I think I read every single one of his books. My absolute favorite is Stranger in a Strange Land. Another of my favorites is Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy.

Blue, you did a wonderful job thinking through the pros and cons of each job as you posted.. Glad you like your sponsor.

IP, sorry to hear you are feeling some pull from our shared demon. For me that tends to happen when I find myself in a situation/feeling that happens for the first time since I've been sober. You can do this, too

Happy Thunderous Thursday to all :-)
Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Modern medicine is great but there are some things that challenge our reptilian Medulla Oblongata.

Better watch it, Itch...in some places them's fightin' words

Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Morning overs.

Dee all the best to your mum.

Itchy love that comedian! I've posted it to Facebook. Lol.

Just a flying visit catch up later.

Have a good Thursday X
Lol I posted both :-)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs
Old 06-30-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

V Cat,
Yes it is an outrageous situation. The guy that put the promise on the buses then trying to deny he said that the millions going to the EU would go to the NHS in the UK was sad, not funny.

Blue,
A good well thought out decision!

Mags,
The fake news comedians here do a better job of reporting the news than the actual news stations. We used to have "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart four nights a week at the same time as our news and we would watch it. He quit and moved on and our local cable provider dropped Comedy Central because it was left wing and down here folks assume all folks that look like them think , or rather choose not to think, like them. We dropped cable until we can leave and move up to Colorado.

Dee,
I didn't hear your mom was having surgery. Glad she pulled through. Thanks again for the nice PM!

FBL,
Cute pics. You look like a Dennis the menace minus the menace. Of course you have the whole series!

Hey Wolf!

RZ,
It's a Stamford thing.

Sassy,
Me too, and a lot of the other authors like Asimov, Bradbury, Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld, Anne McCaffery's Dragon world, AE Van Vogt, Robert Silverburg, Arthur C Clark the inventor of the satellite, and on and on. It is funny but I used to like L. Ron Hubbard's SCi Fi books but then he decided to copy "Stranger In A Strange Land" and start his own religion.

Dune got way beyond the original trilogy, like Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" that got up to 5 or six books I forget. Dune went to ten I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(franchise)

FBL!!!! That was great scene recall!

Blue glad you ad Mags liked the videos as much as I liked FBL's

Evening Wolf and at 1AM your time good night bud!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Overs.....

Well now that you know my age I might as well spill another strictly guarded secret.... I watch "The Young & The Restless". My babysitter used to watch it in the summers....this is going back to 8 or 9 years old. Now, this is only if I happen to be in the kitchen making lunch or doing dishes, mind you.

Don't judge.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My stepdad had a copy of star beast and I pulled it off the shelf when I was probably 12 or so and Loved it and real a lot of Heinlein after that. He also had a big book of Ray Bradbury's short stories and I loved that, read those stories many many times, one of my favorites-- the Fog horn about a lighthouse keeper that witnesses something rise from the sea-- last of it's kind in a hopeless appeal to the sound of the foghorn. it was such a sad, lonely story.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Hi, Overs.....

Well now that you know my age I might as well spill another strictly guarded secret.... I watch "The Young & The Restless". My babysitter used to watch it in the summers....this is going back to 8 or 9 years old. Now, this is only if I happen to be in the kitchen making lunch or doing dishes, mind you.

Don't judge.
LOL....I watch Bold and The Beautiful. Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

(No kids, no lunches to make, I just love it. Ha ha).
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

I went through many years where much of my reading was SciFi and I had a whole bookcase full. I had many wonderful hours reading those, the best multiple times :-)
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I don't begrudge anybody their TV "guilty pleasures"...except Honey Boo-Boo (that was the show that finally got me to cut my cable)

Today's avi is a few of us hard at work, filling the new book orders (that's me on the left). We got out nearly 1,500 orders in four days! Now it's on to the next one.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Hey Blue IP Toots D Itchy FBL Mags Rusty Amp Dharma Saskia

Thanks for the new part D

I think I mentioned Stranger in a strange land recently still waiting for it to arrive I remember Itchy & others mentioning how good it is so can't wait so far everything itch has recommended has turned out to be awesome
"Grok"

I still remember that from many decades ago.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Well, met with my new sponsor today and asked her her personal opinion on my job situation and she voted for floral so I won't apply for block supervisor. It was nice to be asked though :-)
Blue, I think you made the right decision. You will be in charge of a section of the store that will continue to grow.

In my store, produce and flowers are the sections that are looked towards as "growing the business" for the store overall. Floral purchases are usually spontaneous ones made once someone is already in the store. This drives up the average transaction number,(amount of money the customer spends in a visit) something we dwell upon at higher levels of command.

Be proud that you were asked to move back. That says a lot about you!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Cool pic FBL

Hey Stargazer thank you
Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Good morning, Overs!

Blue and Itchy and here I thought I was the ultimate Heinlein fan
I think I read every single one of his books. My absolute favorite is Stranger in a Strange Land. Another of my favorites is Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy.
Two words - Glory Road.

The sci-fi classics from the masters are the best.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Dharma,
I am tickled at your enjoyment of AA. I may just need to find another one here that is humanist/secular/atheist to go to. I am not an atheist, just a confirmed agnostic (contradiction in terms intentional).
MY oldest son was born in 1973! I was born in 1952 So figuring out your age is easy for me.

Itchy -

Food for thought.

I'm about as atheist as you can get, but I found NA a good fit. (We have plenty of alkies in our ranks). Sure, the "g-word" gets bandied about, but the literature and the folks with wisdom and integrity back up the idea that what the power of your understanding is is up to you. Not only is there no "we agnostics" chapter, but the NA living clean book actually has a section talking about atheism as a legitimate path to recovery (about page 56 or so IIRC).

I know more than a few people who are more comfortable in NA due to that. However, as time has gone on I feel almost as "at home" in AA as I do in NA. I still like the way that our literature reads better, but I have a built in translator in my head now that allows me to be comfortable with terms that used to make my skin crawl.

I've also found that the steps work just as good framed in secular terms. "God as I understand him" can be the guidance and direction of those who have more experience than me in the program and in life, (good orderly direction - and I hated that term at first!), the power of ethical/spiritual principles in action, the principles of recovery, the voice of my conscience, etc.

YMMV

Just sayin'. Not trying to convert ya, It was just my experience that the 12 step program as a whole has evolved to include folk like me, and the principles are still solid.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

VC has lost her little kitty, she has crossed the rainbow. Suze needs lots of loving hugs just now, so please send her loving thoughts
Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Oh, Toots thanks for letting us know! So sad

(((((Vee)))))
Old 07-01-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oh (((V)))! I am so sorry to hear that