Class of November 2014 Part 5

Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Good morning. Checking in.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
Good morning. Checking in.
Me too. All is well. Husband has day off, so we are going Christmas shopping.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
This season doesn't have to be stressful if we can let go of unreasonable expectations.
Exactly. It is under our control. I'm not putting up a tree this year. I'm only exchanging gifts with my husband. I'm only staying away from home for one night (zero would be preferable, but I had to give in this year). I'm sending out few cards.

I am attending some parties. Will see how that goes. I don't anticipate any stress or social anxiety related to them. For example, if I had an office party to attend, I would definitely skip it if it involved alcohol.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
Our giant yellow lab tore his ACL last weekend, had surgery yesterday. The vet planned to keep him overnight bit called to say he wouldn't settle. So I've had two bad nights in a row, up tending the dog.
I went through something similar with one of my cats a year ago. Six weeks! It was awful. But he is healthy and happy now.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workforit View Post
Checking in on a cold morning...brrr! The weekend is supposed to be nicer, so my husband and I are hoping for a Sunday hike
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea. I love hiking with my husband too.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in. I've been following. Well done to you all on your achievements. This site has become a sober and rational lifeline for me.

I feel terrible, so tired and anxious all the time. Why? I think we all know the answer to that. I know I have to stop if I ever want to be happy. It's so compulsive with me, I'm such an addict and it's ever available. I have just reread this, and decided to still post as a timely reminder and warning to you guys.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Yes the tough couple of weeks before the holidays but everyone seems to be hanging in there and not drinking. Here is a link to put a little pep into your step:
Top Stories of All Time - Gives Me Hope

Day 26. Holding firm. Sugar and bread cravings finally starting to subside thank God. Today and tomorrow will be ok. the big challenge is the Xmas brunch on Saturday. My plan is to eat as much as possible as fast as possible and get all boated up on turkey and ham hence no room for booze.
Thanks for the link...after reading a few, I needed to close my door and regroup
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TopEndChick View Post
Hi all, checking in. I've been following. Well done to you all on your achievements. This site has become a sober and rational lifeline for me.

I feel terrible, so tired and anxious all the time. Why? I think we all know the answer to that. I know I have to stop if I ever want to be happy. It's so compulsive with me, I'm such an addict and it's ever available. I have just reread this, and decided to still post as a timely reminder and warning to you guys.
Glad you are here TEC, it really is a sober lifeline! I've been up & down so many times since joining a few months ago, with the help of everyone here there have been more ups then downs. Stay with us here and decide how you want to move forward so that you don't feel terrible, tired and anxious and in no time you will feel magnificent, restored and tranquil
Old 12-11-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hi class day 40 now still feeling strong despite the family illnesses.
Well done Applecat getting to 11 days
Thanks for your kind thoughts Gypsy
Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Day 13 for me today. I am also checking in. It's a great day to be sober!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Things=hectic. Me=sober.

Will be around
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi peeps...checking in too. Not a great day so far... Cold, wet snow flurries all day, bad couples counseling today, PT was not fun, and probably Christmas shopping in misery soon. Pity party in full swing right now lol.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your dog is well again soon Bernie.
Continued best wishes for you and your daughter erratic

Congrats on 40 days peacehappyness and on day 13 do

Hope your day improves by bedtime Gyps

TEC - You sound a lot like me - wanting to quit by never managing to do so for long.

It will get worse I'm afraid until you quit completely.

Think about the things you love and value in your life and ask yourself why you're repeatedly putting them at risk.

Be harsh with your addiction.

D
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Think about the things you love and value in your life and ask yourself why you're repeatedly putting them at risk.

Be harsh with your addiction.

Thanks Dee.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Winding down day 12!

Tomorrow is Friday team. I know I myself need to perk up and gather some resolve and energy for the weekend. Let's do it together.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Also checking in, day 27. Sorry to hear about your Lab Bernie, sounds horrible. Great achievement PeaceH, day 40 is fantastic and you sound strong.
A few struggling at the moment, I guess it feels a bit of a grind for some of us right now. This year will be my first sober Christmas in 27 years. Let's try to really enjoy it and think of all those things that we silently envied casual drinkers could do. You know, things like going for a walk after dinner instead of moving from the beer to wine. Or taking a few hours to properly enjoy playing with our kids, instead of being rushed and half focused with a glass in one hand. Or maybe using the time that we would have spent drunk to go and see a friend that we may have drifted from in recent times. There are so many things that we can do to create a holiday season that we can really enjoy for all the right reasons. Really, right now it doesn't take much more than a mental shift away from the cravings and self pity and more towards trying to write out the things that we would like to be able to do and then getting on with doing them.

I have had loads of thoughts in my head this week about my drinking, I am beginning to really understand the things that made me such a mess though I know I am still taking baby steps in this sober journey. I have a long flight to West Coast US on Sunday so I will type them all out on the flight....ie. keep me off the inflight beers and wines.
Tomorrow is my Xmas party brunch which is my last challenge before Xmas but I think I have fired myself up enough to handle it.

As I was drifting off to sleep last night my wife whispered in my ear that she is proud of me staying off the drink and that she loves me coming to bed each night not smelling of booze and cigarettes. Also, that she knows that tomorrow will be a challenge for me but that she has confidence that I will not drink. Made me happy, not so much the words she used, more the fact that she is being appreciative and supportive.
Have a great day everyone....
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow ubn!! And that was really great of your wife to acknowledge your efforts. Well done.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

End of Day 14 for me. Wonderful story about your wife's support, ubn. My husband has also been very supportive and proud of me.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

To be honest the support hasn't really some all that easy. When I announced to her that I was dropping booze (again) she kind of shrugged and rolled her eyes (again). Can't blame her of course, I guess we have all stated our intentions to quit and then relapsed within a few days so many times. Effectively what she has said is: you show me that this time it is different and I will work with you on this.
You are doing great GHD, two weeks behind you now, Xmas two weeks away and your husband's support. Thats worth staying sober for.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go GD

yeah I cried wolf way too many times ubntubnt...but people did see the change in me and realised this was the real deal

D