Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 13

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Thanks ultra. Laying in bed with my four year old watching ninja turtles. Can hear everyone playing pool and getting loud. Funny, this is the new normal for me and everyone is cool about it. I will feel great tomorrow on so many levels.

I dig this. Tough at first, but now I set my pace for the entire weekend.

Pink and rah and A team, you hanging tough?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Yes, hanging in! Trying to sleep...tired but can't seem up fall asleep. Lots of thoughts running through my head. I'm frustrated with the family visit. Can't seem to find the things that bring me joy or happiness. For the most part I a plain tired. I enjoy relaxing at hone with my dogs. Like snuggling with them watching my favorite shows. It's my escape from the world and stress. Feel like I should be getting out there and find something more, something to give me purpose but I just don't have the physical or emotional energy. This empty drained feeling won't quit. Before I would go out with my husband, drink. Now in facing these feelings sober. Keep hoping I'll feel rested energized and motivated.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe some people can't quit. Maybe some people are destined to carry on drinking. Maybe there is no way out for me.
I believe everyone has the power to quit addiction and change their lives Cap.
Unfortunately a lot of people baulk at what they need to do to change.

Don't be one of those people Cap.

D
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Rah, my favorite respite is the couch and my two dogs! I've been finding that I have to actually take care of my inner self. We are doing hard work, whether it's visible to us or not. I do yoga every morning-even if it's just 20 minutes, and find what I need for the day and meditate on it (focus? patience? kindness?). I also do devotions in the morning. After work, I often exercise and later take a bath. All of these things help keep my from being drained and help with the stress. It has taken me awhile to come up with what works. I had no idea that I really needed so much care. I was neglecting myself, and poisoning my body on top of it.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

happy thanksgiving american friends :-) have a wonderful day and stay strong xxxx

I have the day from hell ahead, but my reward is getting on a plane. will be very busy, but will check in later, have a great day all xxx
Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Hey all

Happy thanksgiving to the American branch of Team A.

Busy day for me too today. Lots to pack in at work with month end approaching. Tonight is CBT so hopefully I can let it all out if it's a stressful one.

Keep going Captain and keep checking in. At times I thought "what's the point" many a time. It only keeps improving with no alcohol, I promise you that.

Pink - good luck!! Your carriage awaits later :-)
Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pink, you will be relaxing on the plane with a sense of accomplishment before you know it!

1Step, I am sorry you are having so many problems. I agree that everything is easier to face sober.

Choobie, I never thought of it, but you are so right! Taking care of ourselves in this time of early sobriety must be a priority. And, like you, I find myself exhausted frequently. I was starting to wonder if it was the seasonal change or mild depression - now, thanks to you, I think it is the hard work of going through this.

Last night was much easier than I anticipated for me because I changed my normal Thanksgiving Eve routine. I only ate about half a pint of ice cream! This ice cream has 260 calories per 1/2 cup. I figured even if I binge and eat a pint, it is less than 8 or 9 beers and a late night delivery of pizza or Chinese food.

Have a wonderful, safe and sober day everyone!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
Rah, my favorite respite is the couch and my two dogs! I've been finding that I have to actually take care of my inner self. We are doing hard work, whether it's visible to us or not. I do yoga every morning-even if it's just 20 minutes, and find what I need for the day and meditate on it (focus? patience? kindness?). I also do devotions in the morning. After work, I often exercise and later take a bath. All of these things help keep my from being drained and help with the stress. It has taken me awhile to come up with what works. I had no idea that I really needed so much care. I was neglecting myself, and poisoning my body on top of it.
Yes, I guess I have really been hard on my body for a long time. Plus I had surgery about 6 weeks ago, that's probably adding to it. I do look at like I'm taking care of myself but then I feel guilty, like I should be doing something else. I'm just going to focus on taking care of me for now, even if that means sitting on my couch with my 3 dogs relaxing.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Blessed to have you all on the "Team". Stay Strong.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not going to drink today

Safe Journeys PINK!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving! My turkey is in the oven, the kids are cleaning, and I've got a few moments of respite. Stay strong everyone! Extending family is arriving in a hour or so...
Thankfully, we are watching a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie marathon today!

Pink, have a lovely vacation, and I wish you focus and efficiency today! Have a great time!

London, I hope your CBT goes well-it sounds helpful!

Great job, Determined!

Captain, never give up on yourself. We have all tried over and over again. But if we stop trying, we don't have a chance. I created a list of reasons I wanted to stay sober (no more hangovers, getting my health back, respecting myself, regaining the respect of my family, etc.), and I added to it every day. I also keep a list of things that make me feel like drinking, and a list of things that help with cravings. For example, really good news or success makes me excited and that is a big trigger for me. As an alternative to drinking, I sing a silly song, or go shopping. The craving gets less intense after a few months. Being prepared is a key. There is nothing to lose in trying! Nothing at all.

Scooter, I like how you anticipated a trigger and had a plan! YES ice cream beats a drink any day!

I found that taking good care of myself doesn't take half as much time as I spent drinking. No one else can do it for us!

Love to you all, TeamAugust!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Morning team. Folks are drinking champagne and watching parade downstairs. If it weren't for you guys and this site, I would cave. You know why? I am soooo bored!!

Gonna take my son for a walk. Putting my focus on gratitude and how I want to feel driving home Sunday. Proud.

Stay strong and keep posting August warriors.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving team!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

No caving my friend.

We are hunkered down in a retirement community / old folks home / hotel so I'm with you on the boredom.

My son and I toss the football alternating with pool (which my daughter joins in) leaving my poor wife to stare at the wall while the extended family has strained conversation until it's time to drink. Then the conversation gets no deeper (though some "great philosophers" are born).

But, I'm blessed! Off to lunch where I've already claimed a seat next to my son (wife next to our daughter). Looking forward to gaining insight and life lessons from the "philosophers" over cocktails. . .
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Ultra, well said man!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
hey guys.

1 step, great to see you check in, sounds tough your end, takes courage to post on here when the goings tough, good to see you x

im very stressed right now. had along day at work, didn't manage to finish my work so am going in at 7am tomorrow. at 10am I am seeing the mortgage guys about the new house offer. at 12 I am dropping the kitties off at the cattery. my assignment deadline is 5, and we are leaving for the airport hotel at 6. im am so tired and frustrated I could sob. still have 400 words to go on assignmenrt which is a tiny amount, but ive hit a wall and am too stressed to think of anything acceptable. Grrrrrr. been thinking about drink a lot today, that's coz im stressed and it was my go to reliever. really wanted to thrash it out at the gym but no time, going round in a vicious circle here!!! I feel better already for getting that off my chest. other half has a chest infection and has sat here coughing all night and it has silently driven me insane!!!!! ive tucked him in bed now and he's sleeping, so I can get a bit more assignment done., its going to be a long night, im so ready to get on that bloody plane!!!

Rant over thanks guys xxx
Pink - Hope your day ended well yesterday. Thinking of you today as you meet your deadlines and travel to Thailand. I was born in Bangkok then moved to the States when I was a baby and have never been back. My sister was just there last month and had an amazing vacation. Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving TeamA!

I'm ready with my Fentiman's lemonade and tea for later. My extended family does not get it but my kids do and for that I am extremely grateful.

Stay strong and stay sober! Think of how great it will be to really be present each moment of the holiday and actually remember it later.

Hugs to all of you!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

First sober thanksgiving since 1986 in the bag baby! How is everyone? It was tough as hell as this is godawful boring. Watching grinch now, feeling good to be clear headed. Philosophers are being born as we speak ultra, in every house in America. Then comes the philosophical pass out, um, err... Nap....
Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Team A!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone had a great sober day

D