Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 13

Old 11-27-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving!! 26 days, 1 slip in 61 days. Glad today is almost over. Went to a thanksgiving day parade with my husband, daughter m granddaughter. It was nice. Lunch at my parents house. Came down w a stomach bug or maybe it was nerves. Everybody was annoying the crap out of me! My patience is at an all time low. Not sure why. Didn't drink! 😄
Old 11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

quick check on the thread to say a massive well done to those who got thrpugh thanks giving, and thank you all for your well wishes. today I handed my assignment in, put an offer on a house, finished all my nhs work, and am now catching a flight to Thailand baby!!!! will catch up when I can guys,be strong, keep safe,

much love and bugs hugs!!!!

Linz xxxx
Old 11-27-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

That's fantastic Pink! Congrats and enjoy that well earned holiday.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
First sober thanksgiving since 1986 in the bag baby! How is everyone? It was tough as hell as this is godawful boring. Watching grinch now, feeling good to be clear headed. Philosophers are being born as we speak ultra, in every house in America. Then comes the philosophical pass out, um, err... Nap....
I hear you man! I've been blessed with the following deep truths which it would be tragic not to share with the group:

(1) I'm still here and I could have died (12x).

(2) Dark Spirits taste like Thanksgiving. (I was at a loss trying to explain that to my son).

(3) My entire extended family are Sommeliers, and repeat the same three adjectives about the wine over, and over, and over.

(4) When I was "diseased" (Lyme) I had bad skin and was emotionally volatile. (this was actually meant well- wrap your head around that one).

(5) An individual armed with a key card and gosh knows how much alcohol in their system will wander room to room trying to gain entry.

More to come. . .
Old 11-27-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Thanks Ultra. Some well needed chuckles there. Still grinning.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Team August. Staying sober on this one even though alcohol is all around me..id rather use those calories for extra stuffing.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Still here, and still trying, managed a whole day yesterday and felt better this morning, I asked ex what day Im having my girls this weekend and she rang to say shes made plans to take them to see Father Xmas with her new partner, so I cant see them until next weekend, succumbed to my AV and bought 4 small gin and tonic tins after mainly due to that but also to fulfil a commitment Id promised ages ago, didn't help with confidence so it was just my head convincing me again that i'll need them 'just in case', everything went ok and Im relieved to say I haven't drank since, its a small time frame I know but I feel so relieved that it didn't lead to more, spoke with my sponsor in AA and have said I need to get back in.

Ive managed to eat the last two days also which is better, I know what Im writing is hardly inspiring but for me I feel relieved to have tapered it off instead of the last horrific withdrawal when I just stopped after two big bottles of spirits the day before.

I managed 11weeks as a member of this class, cant believe that now, I know I need to get over the first week and it gets easier, the devil/AV in me wants me to keep the party going, have had several texts and calls the last two days from one side wanting me out as the wild man and the other side wanting me to come back to the AA rooms.

With Christmas coming up it seems even more daunting.....
Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Just a quick post; I am home from Thanksgiving dinner. The alcohol was flowing, but I drank seltzer water with cranberry juice and lime.

I am exhausted physically and emotionally - - tough ride home as it started to snow and sleet - - Thank God I was sober!!!

Take care my friends.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still here, and still trying, managed a whole day yesterday and felt better this morning, I asked ex what day Im having my girls this weekend and she rang to say shes made plans to take them to see Father Xmas with her new partner, so I cant see them until next weekend, succumbed to my AV and bought 4 small gin and tonic tins after mainly due to that but also to fulfil a commitment Id promised ages ago, didn't help with confidence so it was just my head convincing me again that i'll need them 'just in case', everything went ok and Im relieved to say I haven't drank since, its a small time frame I know but I feel so relieved that it didn't lead to more, spoke with my sponsor in AA and have said I need to get back in.
1step you really need an alternative strategy for sadness and disappointment.
Get some numbers to call and call them, post here, go to a meeting whatever.

I am sorry for your pain, but you're letting yourself be jerked around like a puppet on a string by your AV right now.

You need to take back the reins, man and the only way to do that, I think, is to ask for help.

D
Old 11-27-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

You're right Dee and that's exactly how I feel in the midst of it all - a puppet on a string.

Just need to push through these early days and I know it'll get better, spoke to another friend in AA and he's taking me to a meeting tomorrow so aiming for that now

Happy thanks giving to all American friends here.

Going to try and sleep now, its 1.13am here.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

sleep well 1step

D
Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Ok. Next set of Thanksgiving follies:

(1) I'm now observing an impromptu book club. I've been told I "have" to read a bunch of books. I've learned that a number of books will "change my life" and are "so powerful" (at least I think that's what was said. Tongues were pretty thick).

(2) Time Zones no longer exist. People should not play football at 8:30 EST. I pointed out that the game was being played in San Fransisco and was rewarded with a confused stare. I didn't bother to bring out that Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games were sometimes actually played at 8:30 EST. Probably would have rocked their world.

(3) If a spouse of a member of said impromptu book club does not personally find a book "life changing" an argument will ensue about the "life changingness" of said book. Both side's arguments were weak. (Apparently the previously read life changing, powerful books did not adress persuassive communication).

(4) Now the sommeliers have become Football experts (even the one who thinks football should not be played at 8:30 pm). One confidently announced that, "that guy used to play for somebody else".

So, survived the day and will incorporate the wisdom of the philosopher's to "change my life" and find "power" since I'm "still here (x12)"-- as long as I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

So many philosophers and experts, Ultra. Too bad I can't take any life changing advice since I exist only in Central Time!

Great job surviving the day intact and sober Team! I got lucky with this holiday, but I make up for it during the rest of the holiday season.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Ultra- sounds painful, I have been in that situation in the past few months. At least holidays only are a few days a year. We were the thick-tongued "experts" and sommeliers in the past. : ) Last Thanksgiving, I excused myself from the dinner table and promptly passed out on a couch for 3 hours. (fortunately, didn't have my kids with me). I woke up in the dark and slouched out of my mom's house for a difficult and headache-ridden ride home. This year, while a tad boring at times, I made it thru with some pleasant conversation, a little football and my head held high at the end of the day.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearEyes24 View Post
Ultra- sounds painful, I have been in that situation in the past few months. At least holidays only are a few days a year. We were the thick-tongued "experts" and sommeliers in the past. : ) Last Thanksgiving, I excused myself from the dinner table and promptly passed out on a couch for 3 hours. (fortunately, didn't have my kids with me). I woke up in the dark and slouched out of my mom's house for a difficult and headache-ridden ride home. This year, while a tad boring at times, I made it thru with some pleasant conversation, a little football and my head held high at the end of the day.
Totally agree! So nice to be on the other side now.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning from the UK

I am on my own for early posts as my early friend Pink will be GMT + 7 now.

Hope the US people had a great thanksgiving. Well done to all for getting through and posting about it. Reading your stuff is really helping me plan for the Xmas party season coming.

1step - keep posting, you can get this. I am pleased you are heading back to try some more AA. Hope the meeting goes well.

Today I have a busy one. CBT yesterday was good. Anxiety meds are settling. Tonight is AA for me today and then I am really looking forward to another lazy weekend.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I slept through the night, and would still be sleeping if Mr. Boomerang hadn't decided to eat all his kibble and come beg for more. Then Scooter decided it would be a good idea to go for a walk. AGH! So much for sleep-sleep-sleeping this morning.

Yesterday I noticed how my siblings and spouses respond to alcohol. My brother-in-law, the host, announced that someone had given him a pineapple mix they had made - - about half tried a small glass. At dinner, my brother explained that the bottles of red wine came from a case a client had sent him that was top shelf - from old wooden barrels. The white wine was from a recommendation from the wine shop. The most anyone drank was two glasses with their meals. We had turkey, scallops and filet mignon roast, so the two wines. My two sisters commented privately on how good I looked!!! At dinner my brother commented that I had not tasted the wine, and I replied that if I had a sip it would trigger my appetite, and I would eat everything in the house. My sister-in-law, his wife, then said I should keep doing whatever I am doing as I look great - - - THREE COMPLIMENTS!

Afterward the women went for a walk while the men cleaned up and watched football. Sandwiches, dessert and coffee came about three hours later when a number of nephews arrived with their families after eating with their in-laws. It was very interesting to watch the dynamics and how well all the cousins get along and are genuinely happy to see each other, and the next generation plays together. I made my excuses and left for my long ride home as soon as I heard it was starting to snow.

All in all, honestly? A day I am glad to have behind me.

I am off to the Y, then I am going off-Cape to Plymouth to meet some old friends for lunch.....no shopping for this shopper today.

Have a safe, sober day everyone.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Yesterday was challenging. Actually, things have been challenging since Monday when my daughters and granddaughter arrived. It makes me feel bad. I was looking forward to them coming but when they are here it's hard for me to manage emotionally. My granddaughter is 6 and can be quite challenging. She is a whiner...it gets to me. My older daughter is moody and has a way of affecting the mood and events. My younger daughter was disappointed because I wouldn't drink with her. The weather was pretty chilly and it rained one day so our plans were squashed. Plus there is underlying tension between my girls and my husband. This is my second marriage. We had dinner at my parents house yesterday. There us little to talk about with them. My mom has this habit of saying "whatever " all of the time. I mean all of the time. It grates on your nerves after a while. I also finding that my husband is annoying me too. He worries about things that aren't important and acts like he's competing with my kids for my attention. It's annoying because we live over 700 miles from the kids so he has my full attention most of the time. Emotional overload and fatigue....it's almost over. The kids leave today.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Now that the holiday is done I am going to work in a few things....being grateful, incorporating exercise into my routine, and eating less. I have much to be thankful for. If I change my focus it may help,
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Im still sober today, feeling anxious now about meeting getting picked up in 2hrs, just eaten, trying to keep concentrated on staying sober for the rest of today, its all overwhelming, it seems harder every time I do this, Its getting to the point of promising myself a drink tomorrow if I get through tonight and just hoping il feel better by then...