Continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-12-a-20.html

D
Old 06-18-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whoot first lol, checking in on new thread
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a random thought, I have been having a hard time living in the moment...it's always regret from the past, and worry about the future...I don't know how to change that, like I can't see in my mind a way how
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you given any thought to posting in the gratitude thread?
I ventured there just now. It may help you to think of things you are thankful for, now. A good reminder instead of always dwelling in the past and worrying about tomorrow. I know I may benefit from that so I was contemplating it.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took be a long time to live in the present ST.

Part of it is accepting all the regret and beating yourself up in the world won't change a second of the past...and no amount of worry will change the future.

Do what you can about making amends with the past, or getting some kind of closure...and do all you can to be prepared for the future.

That's the most any of us can do ST

D
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on a bit of an "evil" level tonight...really just thinking and listining to horrible things....I donno I need to refocus somehow..
Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
Just a random thought, I have been having a hard time living in the moment...it's always regret from the past, and worry about the future...I don't know how to change that, like I can't see in my mind a way how
ST, have you ever practiced meditation? Its a good place to start retraining your thought process. I also started putting sticky notes everywhere to remind me not to obsess about the past or future.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do the sticky notes too. I also have a calendar on the wall, with an x crossed off each day.

12.12pm here in HK.

AV loud and strong today.

Triggered by memories.

There's still something deep inside me that longs to be drunk. I'm finding myself romanticizing over the past, remembering friends and times, or 'war stories' with the boys. I miss it, I can actually feel a physical missing of it too, I think.

Many Fools have mentioned the feeling of the need to change something. I too am having these feelings. As though its not enough, that this monumental change in lifestyle should be matched by some huge something.....mmm

In my head again today.
Hope all on the Bus are doing well....!

stay tuned.........
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay strong obo

ST maybe you need to actively drive the evil thoughts out - can you think of an activity you can do to help that? any exercise to get the endorphins going?

D
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obosob View Post
I do the sticky notes too. I also have a calendar on the wall, with an x crossed off each day.

12.12pm here in HK.

AV loud and strong today.

Triggered by memories.

There's still something deep inside me that longs to be drunk. I'm finding myself romanticizing over the past, remembering friends and times, or 'war stories' with the boys. I miss it, I can actually feel a physical missing of it too, I think.

Many Fools have mentioned the feeling of the need to change something. I too am having these feelings. As though its not enough, that this monumental change in lifestyle should be matched by some huge something.....mmm

In my head again today.
Hope all on the Bus are doing well....!

stay tuned.........
I like the calendar idea obo! As far as the memories, yes, there are always the good times to remember but do they outweigh the bad?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm drinking again...and I'm not gonna rant...smoked crack for a long time and all the stuff hitting me at home, my 6 day a week job, fiancé, all of it...I'm loosing touch with reality completely...I really have no escape anymore and I wanna do a month in a good place....I don't want a "vacation" and my job is closing down by the end of august...I'm still going to my doctor Friday and I'm still functioning...I really wish that one month facilities with substance and wholesomeness didn't cost 15-30 grand...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've realized that there is just TOO much going on in my head along with my life for me to even take advantage of the tips and stuff that is being told to me here...the small AA and NA programs are just not gonna cut it here...I did em all...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found reading old posts - either mine or other peoples - helped with the romancing.

Remember the Simpsons episode where Homer and Marge have a party - the following morning, Homer remembers himself being a witty gregarious bon vivant...

but the reality was very different?

Don't fall for the edited highlights package.
D
Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm seriously thinking Horrible thoughts...I'm not even suicidal...I could spend the rest of my days hunched over a screen if anything...and probably enjoy it...I just messed up and really don't know how to deal
Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry but I have to be honest - I don't think you've really given much of the tips or suggestions here a try ST.
As long as you go back to alcohol as a solution you're always going to be spinning your wheels.

D
Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

Obosob, I'm also feeling that I need to accomplish something, I'm thinking of taking a distance learning course.something totally different from work. I'm thinking about theology, as it's something I'm interested in.

ST, being present to the moment is a practice rather than a destination. You can start by spending a few moments concentrating on your breathing, feeling the breath as it enters your body, and feeling it as it leaves. Try to bring your awareness back to the breath every time you feel your mind wonder. 20 minutes is a good amount of time as this gives the body time to adjust itself from monkey mind status to calm mind. However, I tend to snatch a few minutes here and there during the day, for example when waiting for someone, before eating lunch, when I'm walking somewhere, even when visiting the bathroom! It's surprising how many moments there are that you can practice.

There are lots of free resources on the www.

You might also find the practice of mindfulness helpful. For me, this is meditation in action. A way to focus the attention on what is in front of you, whether it be washing up, eating a meal or driving a car. Just reminding yourself of what you're doing in any given moment, how does it feel in your body, what are your sensing, being aware that the monkey mind is trying to bring you away from present moment. The present moment is the only real thing available to us. The past no longer is, and the future has not yet arrived. Our lives can only be lived in the the present moment.

I love the quote "wherever you are, be there!", but I'm afraid I don't know who said it, sorry. It's good to remember though.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ST, Come over to the morning and bedtime gratitude threads. It a great way to refocus the mind from negative to positive thoughts. Having darkness in the mind for too long is definitely destructive. You can shift it, bit by bit.

However, it sounds like Fridays appoointment can't come soon enough. Are you prepared for it, have you sorted out a list of things you want to address?

You've come such a long way already, you can keep moving forward one step at a time.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry if that came out a big harsh ST. I lost an SR friend yesterday...I spent a lot of time giving him ideas and possible solutions but he never could bring himself to follow them up.

He wasn't that much older than you.

Change is difficult, and yes, it's sometimes really uncomfortable and painful...but it's the only way out of the crushing cycle must of us know so well.

Give yourself every chance ST.

D
Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm sorry for your loss. Your help and suggestions are incredibly valuable, but you can't help someone who won't accept it. Thank you for everything you do for us.