Administrator

Class of January 2013 Part 3

we continue from here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
100 pages of postings in 2 weeks! Shows how valuable this site is - thank you, Dee and SR friends! This is the first time I've ever had peer support (hypnotherapy and cognitive counselling didn't work for me) and I never thought that sharing the struggle with others could be so powerful. Just great to be part of this group!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning! they promised us a ton of snow and i can still see the grass! ddi adamant she's going in her sledge to nursery though so wish me luck with dragging that along the path! still on phone so apologies... can't wait to get outside... im such a big kid too
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starting day 14

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Just great to be part of this group!
You said it, Reeny! It's a privilege and long may we all stick together.

"It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me"....Nina Simone will be the order of the day for me today.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning

MTN hope the sledge pulling went well snow here didn't stick much either after pulling my pink wellies out... I downloaded the app for my phone its good a lot easier to move around though typing is still difficult.

Bounced love that Nina Simon song you have given it a new meaning for me going to be playing it a lot from now on I think.

Seems as if I wasn't the only one suffering from the *second Sunday syndrome* yesterday boy was I a grumpy git.. Moaping around the house like Catherine Tates character 'I can't be bothered' even watching telly was a chore, lucky for everyone I was alone all day lol.

My av has been pretty quiet since Friday and that's worrying me a little I am waiting for it to come at me very loud soon I need to look up urge surfing and halt to be ready I think.

Hope everyone is well I too am proud to be part of this great group
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rosieblue. I liked this stray cat analogy when I was reading about urge surfing, maybe you will too.

"Urges can be compared with feeding a stray cat. In the beginning, you may want to feed the cat because it cries for food and attention. You may find that it is a nice thing to do and you feel good for being kind. However, your act of feeding the cat encourages it to repeat its cries and attention seeking. You find yourself giving in each time. Over a period of time the cat grows bolder and other cats join it in crying for food and attention.

You may begin to regret your actions, as a large number of strays are now contributing to noise and other problems. But you cannot resist the feeling of ignoring their cries. You may believe that their survival now depends on you, and that your actions are more important than ever. They have you trapped in a cycle of your own pattern of repeated problem behaviours.

If you make a decision to resist feeding the "cat army," there will be loud and pitiful cries for a few days. In fact they will be at their strongest when you have decided not to reinforce their behaviour. Soon, however, they will come to realise that they are no longer being reinforced, and will gradually diminish and disappear. Your decision to stick with the action you know is best for you will "undo" the problem that you unknowingly built up in the first place.

Urges do go away, but they may be very strong for a short while immediately after quitting. Knowing that they will weaken will help you to continue to surf the impulses that you feel, especially in response to your personal triggers."

Hope your Monday's going well, RB and SR friends. Bedtime here down under.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 10. second weekend was fine. nothing of interest to report but just wanted to pop in. here's to the start of another week!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Reeny that's definitely one to remember
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Good morning, Day 3! I feel better from not drinking and, more importantly, I feel comfortable because of the approach to quitting I have found through SR. I went through a revised morning routine to put me in the right frame of mind; reminded myself of the tools I have available; and prepared myself for what Day 3 may have in store (especially regarding powerful yet subtle urges).
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so upset. I fell off the wagon last night. Had some wine. I'm back to feeling that low I thought I never would again. Why did I even think I could enjoy a drink, it just made me feel horrible.

8 days sober I was doing so well Back to square 1. Went twice as long without a drink as I did last time, can this finally be the time I move on and never look back? I have a uni essay due for tomorrow and I'm really struggling to deal with the stress.

Let this be a reminder to those still on the wagon, don't do what i've done
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grindilow you jumped right back and are posting that is great remember how you feel and learn its a positive step then.

Jazzfish well done on 3 days and having a plan and routine.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosieblue View Post
Grindilow you jumped right back and are posting that us great remember how you feel and learn its a positive step then.

Jazzfish well done on 3 days and having a plan and routine.
Thanks Rosieblue. I'm trying to think of it as has previously been said on this thread, I won for 8 days. Couple of months ago I couldn't imagine not drinking for 8 days.

Still, the disappointment is awful. Just have to get through today. I was starting to enjoy the stability of waking up and feeling the same every day.

Thanks for the support, tomorrow should be a better day
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here, I have some black stuff stuck to the bottom of a pan which I am not too sure will ever come off. It was supposed to be rice!

There is plenty of time left in January, Grindilow, so you still have every chance of remaining a member of this class. I know that whenever I have had a drink after quitting for a while, one or two glasses have never given me the satisfaction that I was expecting and there is the temptation to get really smashed. Funnily enough that just makes one feel really crap the following day and makes it all the more difficult to get back on the wagon. It's a really unfair catch 22. Our addiction is demanding satisfaction and yet we cannot satisfy it, no matter what we do. Darn it!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was just looking at my SR join date. Very nearly a year ago. I see some of you also joined during 2012 and I guess this quitting thing is a learning curve. I have been using alcohol as a coping mechanism for such a long time now. I think I first contacted AA about 3 and a half years ago (it turned out not to be for me) but it's amazing how long I have been playing with the idea of quitting, only to return to my old ways. I think it's about time for me to big up and find some other ways to cope.

Congratulations on getting through your day 14, Reeny, and to everybody else graduating later today.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 15. Tomorrow I leave for a one week visit with my mom in Arizona. The break will be good, but it will bring a new collection of temptations to drink. I'm feeling okay, but will, of course, need to remain vigilant. One thing that has helped me the past two weeks is besides cutting alcohol out of my life, I have added some healthy pursuits such as running and healthier eating. Those good habits help fill the void left by alcohol and also reinforce the good I'm doing for my body. I hope to get in numerous quality runs, walks, and hikes in the Arizona desert in the coming days. Good food for my soul.

The downside is that I'll essentially be off-line for a week. I look forward to returning here next week and reading about everyone's victories. Keep fighting the good fight, people. We can do this!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hope class of January has room for 1 more. Yes, I had a slip last pm. I was almost at 40 days too. I just gave in 2 my emotions and had a few beers. It stopped there,but I'm overwhelmed with guilt and so disappointed in myself. Not 2 mention I feel horrible. I didn't do the things I needed 2 do. I didn't call my sponser. I didn't fight it. So here I am back on day 1. I'm wondering if I will ever get this right? I certainly don't want live the rest of my life this way. Back on track 2day.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I am still here and on day 8. I am feeling very well, not to 100% yet but very well. So far doing morning devotion and prayer and coming online to share and for support. Thank you all for being here! For those who are succeeding, thank you for showing it can be done! For those who are still struggling, keep trying! You are trying because you know the sober life is a better life and you will do it!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Raja12 you are very welcome to join us. Brush yourself off jump back on. X

Grindilow chin up you can do it. Mark it down to experience and start again. X

Keep up the good work everyone.

I am now on day 14! I am still in shock.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Hi Rosieblue. I liked this stray cat analogy when I was reading about urge surfing, maybe you will too.

"Urges can be compared with feeding a stray cat...
Thank you so much for that. Relates to my drinking problem and at least one relationship issue I can think of. Thanks to all SR and Class of January 2012-mates.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi raja12

Hey, I blew 90+ days last year, twice! So I know all about how fragile this sobriety thing can be. I am finally getting around to the idea that this needs to be a permanent way of life and the counting thing is just to get through the toughest part at the beginning. In fact, I think the day counting can become a hindrance after a while. You get so tied up in your next target that you forget to prepare for what happens when you get there.

Anyway, you are most welcome here. We have a top team!