Authenticity V

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I am sure we all have our opinions and cultures, but I like Lady GaGa

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

I am shocked Haennie! (not really)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hi Robby, and Melissa! coming out of the shadows... i am in awe of the conversations going on here. amazing stuff. authenticity is one of the joys of my sobriety. dealing with life on life's terms no matter what we're handed while staying true to ourselves. what i find so profound in the ponderings here is the deep sharing of ideas and experiences that seems to be hard to find irl. i do have it with a few and it is one of life's treasures. so hey y'all - you are treasures to me...

i found this spoke to me - like you took the ways i have intuitively dealt with my own pain(s) and put it into words.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I've not used pain meds as a regular daily therapy. I've nothing against it, I've just mitigated my pains personally. For me, I don't really make sharp distinctions between physical and emotional pains, and so I've learned how to manage both as one. It's complicated like this since I've always had "both" pains ever since I can remember.
i have struggled most of my adult life trying to access medical assistance which could be of real use in helping me improve my quality of life while addressing health issues. in the US this has proven to be nigh impossible for me. most of my interactions have been pretty close to confrontational. it appears i am often treated as if i know nothing about my body, myself and should blindly listen and follow instructions.

this i can not do. so 'listening' to how you are navigating the complex medical arena you find yourself in without compromising your philosophy and quality of life is very educational for me. and as you said it's all very complicated because to me it's not my body or my spirit. it is always both.....

you are an amazing person Robby. i thank you. i wish you joy - which you surely know in your deepest being!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I just don't like where I'm being forced to go, you know?

that is so much its own pain right there....
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Thank you kindly Lovenjoy, and welcome to our thread.

Yes indeed, much of the time medical professionals work from mindsets which reduces their patients into preconceived checks and balances. When we don't participate within such "in-the-box" limitations, they usually, but not all, become uncomfortable "working" as team members with respect to their patients, preferring to lead rather than work along side of us.

I'm thinking it is always worthwhile to stand our own ground when it comes to our participation in managing our health care. We absolutely require the expertise of said professionals. Having said that, we also absolutely require we be respected and not dismissed out of hand because we lack professional knowledge or experience. At the end of the day, in a simplistic analogy we are the buyer and they are the seller - and so buyer beware comes to mind, yes?

I'm well pleased these threads are so helpful! I love to give back!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by fini View Post
I just don't like where I'm being forced to go, you know?

that is so much its own pain right there....
Yup. Right there indeed.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Robby, I read your thread constantly, but am somewhat new and really don't post very often...
BUT, I just have to tell you what an inspiration you are. Your courage is really beyond measure. I can't count the times I have read your post with tears in my eyes. You are handling your illness with so much grace and dignity. I could never be so strong..
I don't have a lot of background on you and Melissa, but I know she must be an amazing lady; so glad you have her by your side.
I just had to share my feelings with you; hope you don't think I am out of line here. When you read a lot about a person, you sometimes feel as though you know them.
Sending my best wishes for a good summer your way..
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Thank you Ringthedoorbell for your kind words.

I'm awesomely happy you're finding inspiration and in no way do I think it weird you sharing your feelings here. Its what we do here, yeah!!

Welcome to the threads

Old 06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Wink What is wild animals eat fast food

This is just a funny to lighten things up a bit

Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Robby hope your day has been nice we have just recieved our new tower fan as the weather is 23° and its 9.11pm and tomrrow the met office (weather) has said London will reach 35° so thats me preparing ice cubes to bathe in lol

Spk soon Robby
Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Do you folks remember tax stamp labels? Whatever happened to them?
Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I've never heard of them. Maybe it's a NYC thing?
Definitely not local to NYC -- all US, Canada, and I guess all US imports -- it all has to do with "revenooers" post-prohibition and proving that the "sin tax" for booze and tobacco products was paid -- cigarette packs still have them I think. 100 proof liquor had a green stamp and liquor under 100 proof had red. The tear in the tax stamp seal was so satisfying. And there were no warning labels. And no metric until the 1970s, but we always called a standard bottle a fifth even after metric was the only way -- and not % alcohol, only proof. O, sometimes it seems like liquor was the most vivid part of my raising.

http://www.drinksplanet.com/dating-u...s...-1205.html

Can it really be that I'm the only person who remembers these? How old am I, anyway?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi guys. Hope your day was good.

Damn tinnitus. That machine is running outside the apartment again.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Had a fun night playing monopoly the six of us for like three hours plenty of laughs and teasing and so on. It was way awesome to forget all our troubles and just be together. We had dogs and sandwiches, cookies, chips, soft drinks, juice, donuts, and so on all fun food.

It's amazing how life just finds a way to celebrate good living even when things could look grim if one won't just let their troubles go for a few hours. Laughter feels good, yeah?

I remember the tax stamps on liquor and smokes. Sin tax for sure.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hi Robby,
I'm glad that you were able to escape your troubles and enjoy your company. Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi". You guys are always in my thoughts even though I've been low key lately. Hugs to Melissa and pets and scratches to the kitties.

Puffy
Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Puffy

Haven't seen you for awhile. How did that PET scan turn out? I'm just asking is all because I care. We all do Puffy.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
quat

Robby so nice to hear everyone had such a day. Love marathon Monopoly games.
And God bless the moon shiners, Jess don't never patronize 'em
Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Robby - I'm sorry for the new pains, and though I'm not in your position, I think I do get what you are feeling. It's like taking another step toward the inevitable that you, nor any of us, want.

I've found out I'm pretty tough with pain, but when enough is enough, I will ask for something stronger. My problem is I abused the heck out of opiates, and it's a slippery slope for me. My dr. and dentist know my history, so will only give me the bare minimum with no refills (my request). I believe you will know when to take the next step, and it will be hard, but we will all be with you.

So glad you all had a fun time with monopoly!!

I've been reading, not posting much. Going through a deep depression (my anti-d no longer works), troubles at work, family, etc. Going to see my dr. in the morning. I'm normally optimistic, grateful and deal with whatever feeling by walking through it (as recovery has taught me). At this point, I have to force myself to take a shower, am more forgetful (a remnant of my PTSD) and my emotions are all over and I've had enough.

Thanks for you, Melissa and all who post here. I read it every night, and I appreciate you all.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi dwtbd

(((Amy))) so sorry to hear about the deep depression and the meds are not helping. Hopefully something else is planned for more effective meds in the morning meet with your doctor.

I know about feeling like even taking a shower just doesn't seem worthwhile. Its a terrible space to be in for any time at all. It's difficult to care when we don't feel it happening. Its hard to think our way into a caring space. I do my best to find positive feelings while examining earlier successes and accomplishments to get me feeling better. Nothing like remembering better times to push away the grayness of a bad day. Works well for me most times.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good night lovelies.

Im in reading only mode right now too Amy, and just want to send some hugs your way. I think we have similar stories....I lost my nursing career to my opiate addiction....slippery slope indeed and something I've been struggling with a lot lately since my last MS flare up. I find myself thinking about the pain pills more than I should. I'm thinking of you and hoping you and your doctor can find some solutions that really help you.

Robby....I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I've been wondering for awhile if you were in a lot of pain but I thought asking about it might be intrusive. Sending you good thoughts and hugs as always. Glad y'all are having a good visit with your stepsons. (And I hope you were fortunate enough to acquire Boardwalk AND Park Place!)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Robby,
I've been in a frozen state in more than one way. I was waiting for approval on these tests. However, tomorrow I'm finally getting the PET scan and on Thursday an MRI. It has been frustrating waiting for things to happen but things are starting to move along. On Monday, I will meet with the surgeon.

I've been reading along but I'm so consumed with what I don't know so I couldn't reach out of my own vortex. Finally, I've come to accept this road I have to go down and I'm just eager to find out more about my cancer. No other way to put it but this sucks.

When I do come in here, I don't feel as alone.

Puffy