Notices

Hungover and probably close to death...

Old 06-30-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungover and probably close to death...

... the day after drinking almost 3/4 of a 1.75 liter bottle of 94 proof Bombay Sapphire at a friends pool party. I drank about once a week, usually on my friday... but that one day is horrible. I could feel my heart skipping beats and was dehydrated to the point of exhaustion. I could barely get out of bed to get water.

Drinking is the ultimate "all or nothing" for me. I can go weeks without it and not feel anything out of the ordinary. I even go to the gym 4-5 days a week but that one day when I get together with friends and decide to have a drink... it is bad, I will drink til there is nothing left and I am blacked out.

My biggest problem is that all of my friends drink except for one and she lives 35 miles away... and when everyone gets together, that is when the temptation starts. I have resolved to quit completely this time. I have never gone to any rehab or signed up for a site before this one.

I have gone through a lot in the last 10 years. A divorce (because of drinking of course..) and the death of my mother and father. Also, my aunt just passed away 3 weeks ago. Depression plays a huge part in my ever increasing amount when I binge. I need to get it under control. Tonight would have been my "binge night" but I opted out. I am going to have to learn to be the sober one in our crowd. I can't give up on my friends, they mean the world to me. So, I will just have to learn to be strong enough to hang sober while others are drinking. I will be able to, just not this soon...

Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you found us sickntired78

D
Old 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I found that I drank to deal with depression.... BUT drinking made me more depressed and kept me from dealing with the other issues that were making me depressed.

I suspect you'll be less depressed long-term if you quit drinking.

The cool thing about being the sober one is the crowd is that you're the one to wake-up without a hangover!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First week in awhile that I haven't done my binge on my day off. I feel great. Just got back from the gym... The worst part about being sober and aware is realizing how much of an idiot I was when I drank. God, the stories I could tell of me being wasted and being the joke of the party. So embarrassing. This is for good. I am done. 100%. I have had my last drink. Friends still don't believe it, but they will in time.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hospital 5 times for depression. ...hmmm alcohol done, not depressed; ) and yes we all did drunk stupid things...be careful hangin with the drinkers...hav8ng a hard time wanting to be there anymore!? My husband drinks....so I try to hang sometimes...I've been good with diet coke....but watching the drinking is really getting old...everyone I know does; ( ...one day one issue at a time...take care!!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yah!!! Someone like me!

I binge too!!! I've had enough. I'm getting annihilated on the drink, and the hangovers are destroying me. When I start I can't stop.

I don't wake up and drink, I don't drink all day everyday, but man, when I start there isn't anything going to get in my way! It's like I'm hitting a detonation button, or self destruct button and BOOM! Blowing myself up every time I pick up that first drink.

I was a party animal, or so I thought, but I was embarrassed, so I've started drinking alone, so that no one sees it. I thought if I drink alone the day before we all go out then I wont want to drink with everyone the following night. How wrong I was, this didn't work, now I'm not the party animal anymore, just hiding my drinking and continuing to binge frequently.

I'm really going to go for it and get through the weekend without a drink. Sick and tired of being sick and tired! I've done a few AA meetings.

You're brave still going out with drinking buddies. I tried and couldn't do it. I've told my drinking friends that I'm not going to be out for a few weeks, and that I've just got some stuff on at the mo, but I'll catch up with them in a few weeks. If you struggle with friends, I'd totally recommend telling them you're just taking some time out or something, it will buy you some time to figure things out.

I think I might be struggling with depression also. Going to the gym is a fab idea! that's something I need to do. People have also suggested to me to maybe get counselling. Sometimes we're dealing with stuff that we need to talk to someone honestly about. I'm looking into that too.

I'd love to hear how you get on. Good luck!!!

Sicknote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scchbra

I've suffered from depression most of my adult life. As I take my anti-depressants, I drink my depressants. Logically, I beat myself up about this decision. So many times I've said it & today, so many times I've seen it "I'm sick & tired of being of bring sick & tired!" It's time for me to allow the medicine to do work wo battle.
I definitely understand the feeling of watching ppl drink. I live in a big party town & I can go nowhere wo constant reminders of "the party".
Stay strong!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is me too! Once I pop I can't stop! ...
Originally Posted by sicknote View Post
Yah!!! Someone like me!

I binge too!!! I've had enough. I'm getting annihilated on the drink, and the hangovers are destroying me. When I start I can't stop.

I don't wake up and drink, I don't drink all day everyday, but man, when I start there isn't anything going to get in my way! It's like I'm hitting a detonation button, or self destruct button and BOOM! Blowing myself up every time I pick up that first drink.

I was a party animal, or so I thought, but I was embarrassed, so I've started drinking alone, so that no one sees it. I thought if I drink alone the day before we all go out then I wont want to drink with everyone the following night. How wrong I was, this didn't work, now I'm not the party animal anymore, just hiding my drinking and continuing to binge frequently.

I'm really going to go for it and get through the weekend without a drink. Sick and tired of being sick and tired! I've done a few AA meetings.

You're brave still going out with drinking buddies. I tried and couldn't do it. I've told my drinking friends that I'm not going to be out for a few weeks, and that I've just got some stuff on at the mo, but I'll catch up with them in a few weeks. If you struggle with friends, I'd totally recommend telling them you're just taking some time out or something, it will buy you some time to figure things out.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disabled Veteran

one day at a time works for me
Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I have been there as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hang in their sickntired. Sounds a little like my problem. I hope you continue to stay sober. I am just starting the process, but for me the thought of losing my wife has been too much to bear and also for my health. I think for me exercise will help and a hiatus from the bars for a month or so will be a good start. Good luck as today is Day 1 for me
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am the same way. I don't drink everyday but when I do drink I lose complete control of myself.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile Social drinking

Alcohol well the side effects are bad enough. I used to drink in the day but I would get a hangover before I had finished drinking.I was depressed as well so that does not help.But I remember drinking in the 90s was fun happy and around people was good. Nowadays I find drinking too heavy hardcore and their are too many idiots about. Their is also a lot of men of a certain age who drink themselves to death every day.Culture of drinking has changed a lot.But the media glamorise drinking as well as drug taking to be the norm.

We are all in recovery from something
We need to love ourselves and move on when we are ready.

I like that ring
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile Hangovers

I can remember a few evil hangovers
They are not good and they get more intense the older you get. You take precautions eat before hand moderate your intake but no they get more severe. It's the severe head I get and dehydration that's evil.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jesus yes and the overeating. I walk round the flat wishing I was a size 10 ha!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Redmayne

For myself...

For myself, 'sick and tired of being sick and tired' I found that, even whilst still pursuing my drinking. Which had a history of 30 years!Resulting in my being alone and so debilitated by drink, I could only crawl to my bed on my stomach,like a snake. Where I lay in fear, self loathing and despair.Crying and begging for some knowledge that would release me from this,'alcohell' and at the same time convinced I'd never see the morning light...

It wasn't until I remembered, in my dazed, confused, drunken self the opening words of Chapter 5 of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed....'Rarely have we seen a person fail who has THOROUGHLY followed our path', the word, thoroughly, should not be taken out of context, it means exactly that! No half measures....

Once I did this...in the# manner described in the ,'Big Book', I started getting better and made my first positive steps towards recovery and lasting sobriety...

This is just a suggestion, like the suggested 12 Step program of recovery is...