Notices

What I don't miss. . . . . . .

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss waking up hating myself.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I don't miss not being able to look at myself in the mirror due to overwhelming guilt.

I don't miss wraking my brain for a believeable excuse as to why I can't come in to work today

I don't miss the look on my childrens faces when they discover that I'm drinking again after promising for the 'n'th time that I was off it (for good this time)
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss being in debt cause I was spending all my money on wine.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I don't miss the incredible level of anxiety I was feeling that finally drove me to quit. I could not even recognize myself as "me" anymore. I'm 257 days in and do not miss that life.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss the slipshod care I gave my dogs and cats. I'm ashamed to remember it.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I don't miss false "intimacy" with damaged souls
I don't miss pushing myself further and further away from meeting my future healthy partner
I don't miss being so disconnected from my HP
I don't miss the feeling of complete and utter emptiness after a night of "partying" I don't miss giving the devil exactly what he wanted
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I don't miss being absent minded.
I don't miss being obsessed about when my next drink will be.
I don't miss this past week after quitting. I don't miss feeling insane.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Having to put up with ...

What I don't miss, having lead the delusional life of a typical alcoholic in my 30 year drinking history and now sober well over 8 years is having to listen to those people who knew all the answers but none of the questions, when the only question uppermost in my mind was why I couldn't stop drinking?

When I found the answer to that, all these people went away and my life, in sobriety, got a whole lot better....
Old 08-22-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I don't miss the fear that my wife will have a friend over for a cocktail and discovery that the vodka bottle was full of water.

I don't miss almost passing out while behind the wheel on a long car trip because of withdrawal.

I don't miss wasting weekends in service to the bottle.

I don't miss feeling 20 years older than I actually am.

I don't miss falling out of a tree while pruning branches while drunk.

I don't miss the anxiety, the racing heart, the night sweats, and the insomnia.

I don't miss all the broken promises I made to myself.

I don't miss all the lies I told my wife.

I don't miss telling my wife that the reason I was acting so weird, slurring my words and stumbling around the night before was because I was suffering from heat stroke.

I don't miss the self-loathing.

I don't miss the feeling that I'm missing my kids' childhood.

I don't miss the physical anguish of working all day in the hot sun with a raging hangover, because I can't tell my wife that I was blitzed.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful thread. I'm only on day 6. So far I don't miss the tired routine of buying alcohol, bringing it home and starting the whole process.

I don't miss the auditory hallucinations on Sunday nights 11pm after a weekend of hard drinking.

I don't miss the body heat, especially in my legs, as I lay in bed trying to sleep. I like a cool bed and room to sleep, not the oven created by hangovers/withdrawals.

I don't miss not being at my best. Alcohol is like a choke chain that constricts success.

I won't miss the idea of being a drinker. A drinker. I shudder at that badge. A guy that sits around wasting precious time telling dumb stories and slowly killing himself.

My username, CLAS, stands for "Clean, Lean, Athletic, Sober." Without alcohol I can reach this goal. I'm done being a drinker. Done.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

- I don't miss getting really bad quality sleep due to my drinking at night till I passed out.

- I don't miss waking up waking up everyday feeling like crap and trying to stay in bed as long as possible before work and not getting anything done.

- I don't miss wasting my entire weekends due to either being smashed or spending the next day recovering from it...

- I don't miss the nausea, shakes, etc that always showed up the next day.

- I don't miss having to call out of work because I was still drunk from the night before.

- I don't miss going into work with a foggy head and just praying that no one could smell the alcohol on me from the night before. This gave me sooo much anxiety.

- I don't miss ignoring adult responsibilities... Even if they were the smallest of things.

- I don't miss getting so drunk that I'd invite a male friend or acquaintence over to hang out but it always leading to more than that...

- I don't miss spending all my money on alcohol.

- I don't miss stopping by the store every night after work (I'd rotate the stores each night so I wasn't obvious) to pick up beer.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Fear, guilt, self loathing and low self esteem...

Great post! Thank you, itv certainly resonated with me and I'm sure many others, as indeed all those who've contributed to it so far have...

I know my sobriety is improving because I no longer suffer the fear, guilt, self loathing and low self esteem that pervaded my life in my drinking days...

Combined with my recognition and acceptance that I am the problem , the answer to which is to start and continue living in the solution...
Old 08-27-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss waking up feeling like hell and hating myself.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I don't miss being called "Sauvignon Blanc" by at least 3 liquor store owners, and they don't even know each other.......
I don't miss racing home to start drinking, made going out after 5 not possible, can't drink and drive
Don't miss sleeping until 10:30 on weekends and missing the day being vomitus
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Lolol, Mklove!

In my case, how glamorous would it be to be called Chardonnay Jameson? I better start drinking again. NOT!

Your post made me giggle!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Melina, funny thing is I actually want to stop by and see those guys.........maybe tell them my real name! Hope you are doing well, amazing how being sober at night makes these mornings so much better. My husband just reminded me I was miscounting, it's day 40!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I dont miss ...
  1. Having a "drink schedule" for the night
  2. Spending all my "alone" time wrecked
  3. Being so mugged the next day that the pounding heart, constricted airways, aweful reflux (oh OK, vomit) made it impossible to climb the stairs at work
  4. Driving and riding a motorcycle when still obviously drunk from the night before
  5. And, finally, losing another year (or 10).
Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss waking up feeling horrible, hating myself, and wishing I were dead. I never want to go back there.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I certainly don't miss waking up and wondering what I did and if I hurt anyone the night before.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I don't miss waking up and having the obsession take over me and think of ways of how I'm going to do it again. 9 months sober this month and couldn't be happier about that!!!!!! Thank you Sober Recovery for being there for me in the beginning while I was building up the nerve and strength to walk into my first meeting. A life saver.