Early Riser Check-in Thread Part 15

Old 07-08-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

After 7:00 AM this morning. A late riser with 8 solid hours of needed sleep.

I came outside to feed the critters and an obnoxious group of Grackles are bullying everyone. I’ll wait till they leave and feed the gang again. Low 90’s forecast so I’ll clean and fill the birdbath also. I have no appointments or plans. This would be a good day to sit in a movie theater and freeze in air conditioning.

I saw my regular dr yesterday and she brought up spirituality and her concept of God. The women who does my hair is one of us and we talked Tuesday. I’m grateful that my concept of God places me with these special people.

Sorry about your Habs ck. Next year they will come back stronger and determined to win.

On with watering the lawn,
A good Thursday to everyone.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:32 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Up at 4, last day of the week

I had to look what a grackle was...it's not a pleasant bird
Wiki says "Common grackles are considered to be a serious threat to crops"
...and bird feeders I guess?

Where are you in your week Star? Night or day shift?

Have a good weekends friends ☼
Old 07-09-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Grackles are annoying and will plow through a ton of feed if you let them. It seems they stay away from safflower seed and sunflower seed. Millet and other seed you find in some mixes brings them in. I miss my birds and feeding them. I hope they find what is killing the songbirds here and I can put my feeders back up soon.

Funny you mentioned spirituality Imvalentine. I lost any pretense of a higher power when I was mired in my addiction, like how could a loving God let someone go through this? It's only now that I have begun to see the light of a higher power in the grand scheme of things.

CK, it's my Tuesday, but I am working mid and early shifts this week. I love not doing a severe waterfall schedule.

The hurricane passed right over top of where I was last week, about a hundred miles from me currently. Funny, I couldn't sleep from 2:30-5:00 as the hurricane passed along the coast. I think part of me was still back at the beach riding the storm out. I guess the heat wave has broken. Only 88F today!

Have a good day all!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Late sleeper at 7:00 AM.

It was insufferably hot yesterday and we get a break today also with high 80’s forecast. I’m happy to have an air conditioner but it’s in the dining area. I do have a huge ceiling fan above the bed so I have nothing to whine about but I still do.

I’m happy to report no grackle gang this morning. I have had zero magpies so far. The crows are unhappy as I don’t cook as much and have no leftovers for them. I am not a 3 star feeding stop anymore. I hope you can resume feeding soon star.

Soaking the backyard today and starting the front this evening.

A Good Friday to everyone.​​​​​​

Old 07-10-2021, 02:56 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Up at 4:30 for work.

Supposedly a nice day weather wise today.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-10-2021, 05:19 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Up at 4

Have a nice weekend friends! ☼
Old 07-10-2021, 07:42 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

After 7:30 AM for me.

We did get an afternoon thunderboomer with a nice rain yesterday. Only upper 70’s forecast today. I get lazier than normal when it’s hot. I read the US had the hottest June ever recorded with more expected.

I called and left a message with the company I interviewed with and no response. They had said they would notify either way so I’m telling myself I don’t want to work for a business that treats people like that. The training starts on the 13th. That ship has sailed. I’ve started applying elsewhere like I should have done anyway. Expectations vs Reality example! I will find something that pays and gets me out of this house and my mind. I had a strong urge to drink last night. I pictured the scenario in my mind but was able to picture the aftermath also. Not good.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:27 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad you were able to walk back that urge Imvalentine. Even after a long time sober, drinking will occasionally pop up as the answer still to our problems. This wasn't meant to be, but other opportunities will exist for you.

Up at 3:00 for work.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-11-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I love that you all are such early risers. When I worked for law firms in the bay area, the traffic was so badly that I'd often get up and leave anywhere between 5:15 am and 6:30 am. Of course, the earlier you leave, the less traffic there is. I have been able to take some much needed time off, but I also don't have as much materially as I used to. But for me, my mental health is more important than making already wealthy lawyers rich beyond a point that I couldn't even think of it as money. Just numbers. That commute should take 30 minutes and with the traffic, you can get stuck for hours. In CA there are so many beautiful places to see and go to, but the traffic keeps me away from some of my favorite places sometimes.
I may end up moving somewhere cheap but safe in Mexico. I was reading about a woman who raised 3 kids there on her own on like $1,000/month. It's so pretty. I just hope it would be safe. You hear things. I'd have to brush up on mi Español. I used to be fluent, but I've lost a bit. I want to be able to be really fluent in Spanish someday. When my dad was alive we used to listen to Spanish tv, radio and talk in Spanish. He was so smart. He studied Portuguese in University, but he spoke Spanish really well, he worked with a lot of Spanish people in Chicago. I don't have an ear for Portuguese. It sounds so different to me, but I guess you'd get used to it eventually. So many adventures. Maybe I'll stay here. Let Go and Let God. He'll pick better for me than I would for myself.
I am going to be trying to rise earlier, so thank your for being my role models!
Old 07-11-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning in advance for tomorrow. I'll get up early, but I'm not quite where you all are. Get to bed early!
Old 07-12-2021, 02:40 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome to the Early Risers Aly!

I too am going through a spiritual soul searching where money is not the main focus of my life and I am doing a job that sucks so much from me mentally, physically, and emotionally that I have no energy left for anything else afterwards. I have to continue on, because I have made commitments to my family to try to help my kids make it through college, and provide a retirement and so on. I guess I am fortunate because I see the possible end of the line in five or six years, where, if I want to continue working, perhaps I can do something more satisfying to my inner self, and not have to do it just for a paycheck.

Aly, your talking about the lawyers and their money reminded me of a bit George Carlin used to do about "Stuff." You make more money, you get more stuff, you need a bigger house for your stuff. It never ends. I remember that being very poignant.

Regarding Mexico, have you considered Costa Rica? A lot of folks from the East Coast head there to retire, as it has a reputation for being a level above Mexico, though I imagine it is not as inexpensive at this point.

Up at 4:15 am for work and SR. TGIM!

Have a good day all!
Old 07-12-2021, 03:51 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

4:10 for me. The bathroom alarm struck but I am happy to be up early. I woke early yesterday but went back to bed. I felt like a slug all day.

Hello and welcome Aly. It is always nice to hear from another early riser. One of my doctors last week said she would like to chuck it and move to Belize or Costa Rica. I thought about it but I’m way to chicken.

I’m over my self pity about the one job I interviewed for. I am going to call the temporary agency I worked at before Covid19. I have incurred debt the last 2 years I need to deal with. I could work full time for 6 months without losing retirement payment. My retirement plans were blindsided with health and other issues but I am hopeful. Sitting around moping is unhealthy!

A good Monday to everyone.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Up at 4

Well well well look who's here ! Welcome aboard Aly !!!

l had a pretty good weekend and nice naps here and there.
Weather is fine so far, not too hot surprisingly...but summer is still young.

Keep trying Imvalentine, 10 times, 100 times if needed.
All you need is a resistance to failure (I know it's not easy)
Keep trying again and again, it will eventually work out!

Have a good week at work Star, retirement will arrive one day, hang on!

Have a good day friends ☼

Old 07-13-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

5:00 AM

Strong coffee is in order. I had a heck of a time falling asleep last night.

A busy day ahead. Picking up teenage Gdaughter to hangout and Gson will be over to mow…no word on my youngest little one. Grilled hotdogs are all I’m up for cooking today.

I have been putting in applications online and reactivated at temp agency also. I will keep moving on until something comes up. Thank you for the encouragement guys. This life on life’s terms has ups and downs for sure.

A good Tuesday to everyone.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:18 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Slept okay but woke up feeling groggy and scattered a bit mentally. I will reevaluate after my first cup of coffee.

Financial fears keep me fearful of retiring too early. More often than not, this is dictated by health concerns or lack of employment opportunities more than anything else. I hope to have the opportunity to retire on my own terms.

Sounds like a busy day Imvalentine! BTW, I loved grilled hot dogs. I still remember grilling hot dogs that we would pierce with sticks we found in the woods during summer camp as a young kid.

Have a good day gang!
Old 07-13-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Up at 4…I’m like a clock

Mmm grilled hot dogs…I’ll get some on my next grocery trip!

Have a good day Earlies
Old 07-13-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a lot to think about SG. Love and peace with your decisions and whatever happens, do what feels right to you. Best, as always.
I'm up early, for me this morning. An hour earlier than yesterday! LOL.
Love and peace to all. ☮💗
Old 07-14-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's funny. My IWatch records my sleep time. The last three nights, I slept 6:58, 7:00 and 7:00 hours. I guess I found my natural sleep cycle when I don't have to get up extra early for work.

Have you gotten any rain recently Aly? Global warming has the western half of the US burning up, while we are flooding away in the east. So many folks from the east continue to move out west. Where is the water to support all this new growth going to come from?

I did buy some hot dogs yesterday! Maybe lunch or dinner today?

Have a good day all!
Old 07-14-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

5:35 AM

Had the alarm set for 7:30 in case of a sleep in. I did get enough rest anyway. I average about 7 hours a night also star. Getting to sleep is my issue recently. I’ve gone back to listening to AA speakers on YouTube on my tablet at night.

I enjoyed my oldest Gdaughter’s company yesterday. She got out a beginners embroidery kit I had gifted her a few years ago and started it. She really enjoyed doing it. She had a gift card from Barnes and Noble so we spent time there. She will be 16 in October. Time goes fast. Oldest Gson bailed out yesterday but will be here this morning.

People from California and other states sell their regular homes and move here to build McMansions. The mountains, wide open space and no state income tax lure them in. Unfortunately they are not prepared for winter and especially wind. The fires and heat are horrible in the west but are creeping this way. Definite global warming.

Hitting a local thrift store today. It is a pretty nice place and they have an opening for a clerk so I’m going to inquire on that. No other plans today.

Enjoy those hotdogs and have a good day everyone.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:46 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

SG, not a drop of water in sight! It's going to be a scary summer I think. Thank you for asking. I guess even AZ is getting some rain.
Up a little earlier, not quite as early as yesterday, but earlier. I have to go to the doctor later and have a procedure tomorrow. I always get myself worked up that I think I have white coat syndrome, where my blood pressure goes through the roof when I see the white coats! Well, I am going to look forward to a good and productive visit.
Good to see you all and all my love to all.