Non spiritual therapy/program roll call

Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Gottalife
The concept of powerlessness never occurred to me in my drinking days, and had nothing to do with me continuing to drink as far as I was aware that is. When I hit the wall and sat down with a kind man from AA , he helped me see the truth of my situation. I saw I had been powerless all along, and that I would never have the power to control and enjoy my drinking.
I had felt powerless my whole life, in every facet. As a child I had to accept things because I really had no control and as a young woman that simply continued because I still thought I had no control over what happened to me, even over the way I was. I was a complete mess. That was my identity, with no way to stop it because it was just how I was made (so I believed). Turns out the addicted part of me loved that identity, as it's a continual excuse for drinking, drugging, and promiscuity. When I took back the power from that part of me...I feel like I finally had a chance of becoming the woman I was meant to be.

So the problem then became how to stop all together and that meant finding some power. I found some power. I am not certain where it came from, but I don't think it was in me.
Doesn't matter that our power comes from different places. It matters that we have it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I couldn't stop because I believed I wasn't powerless. The great obsession of every abnormal drinker. This time I will be in control. This time, it will be ok. As long as I thought I could beat it, it beat me.
Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
When I hit the wall... I saw I had been powerless all along, and that I would never have the power to control and enjoy my drinking.
Mike, there is a rather big difference between not being able to "control and enjoy your drinking" once under the influence of a couple drinks, and being powerless over taking that first drink, no?

I will give you credit for describing how it really occurred, by stating that you wanted to get away with drinking, but what exactly does wanting to enjoy drinking without getting into trouble have to do with being powerless over swallowing alcohol in the first place?

I'm sure some that many people would like to become wealthy, but not being able to rob banks and get away with it does not make them powerless over the desire to become wealthy. It makes them powerless to successfully rob banks.