Common sense and discretion...

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Common sense and discretion...

Personally speaking, in recovery as in many other things in life, when faced with what appear to be insurmountable problems, i.e.in those early 'fuzzy days' of sobriety when life was more about survival. Just in getting the basics right in learning to live in sobriety the application of taking, metaphorically speaking a 'step back' from whatever I was facing and then applying a little bit of common sense and discretion, relying not on others but my own innate ability.

Which we all have to a greater or lesser degree, so don't worry, it's in there somewhere, maybe a little dusty from lack of use, as mine was...

By doing that, everything else then would follow quite naturally... if it didn't I was guided by the Dalai Lama's advice in his 'Little Book of Buddhist Wisdom' in which he says,' Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned.'

Working on that basis, whatever I was facing, on reflection, wasn't worth pursuing anyway...and I'd turn my thoughts and efforts to something more constructive and useful, like posting a thread like this on here....
Old 10-01-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have always been a fan of constructive thinking (not that I was always good at it); it tends to keep us moving in a positive and healthy direction.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm also....

I'm also a believer in the power of constructive comment and criticism, allied with the fact that, now in sobriety I look for credibility in all people, including myself and things...

Leaving me tending to like people for who they are, not what they are. Regardless of race, class or gender including age and (dis)ability...

All of which on first reading, may sound pious and pompous but it isn't, using the same common sense and discretion, it makes life so much easier...thank you.