Guilt.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Guilt.

It's correct to say that most, if not all alcoholics at some point in their drinking days suffer fear, guilt, low self esteem and self loathing. I know I certainly did!

Of these, as it leads to all the other feelings is guilt.

'Guilt is the tension you feel to change your past, present or future for someone else's sake. It's your tension, you can let it go,' 'Messiah's Handbook' Richard Bach.

Without doubt in realising that both my recovery and sobriety were and are for all alcoholics above all, a personal responsibility not dependant on my standing or status with others, in or out of A A, or similar organisation including the society in general.

Whilst others so afflicted may share experience, strength and hope if I clung on to what is another delusion and the tension it brings. I would make no progress in my recovery and eventual sobriety.

This is so no matter what program or method of recovery you use, it's not for nothing that in A A, the suggested 12 Steps are referred to as a selfish program! To be undertaken by and for the individual on the simple premise that no one can do it for you, just as you cannot do it for others.Perhaps through guilt.

I found that once I got rid of guilt, done through acceptance that I suffered the disease/illness of alcoholism and it didn't really matter whether I was born with it or drank my way into it! Fear, self loathing and low self esteem disappeared with it along with any desire to act on the tension brought on by guilt for the sake of others.

The quality of my sobriety is about me! I hope yours is to ...
Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shame is the main feeling I have so far regarding my drinking. Kind of goes hand in hand with guilt.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You really hit the nail on the head for what I am feeling. I have some people in my life that continue to remind me of my past failed attempts and it knocks me down so quickly and so far that it actually makes me nauseous. Thanks for sharing, I really needed to hear that.