Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Touche
Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I am reading a rather interesting book “The brain that changes itself” it highlights examples of the plasticity of the brain.

So regardless whether we are challenged by genes, stress in embryonic stage, abuse in childhood, bad choised as adolescents or we got lost as adults; we can change.

Some have it in them others need help. There is lot of scientific and anecdotal evidence to back that up.

There is hope – that is important.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
...I would like to ask what is the point of quibbling about all of this? Are you just having an intellectual exercise or is there some reason you need to be so specific about these definitions and diagnoses regarding addiction?
For me, it is purely intellectual and I have completely detached from the debate as it may relate to my recovery from the problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I'm not sure why people still debate whether it is a disease / mental illness or not. The DSM-III defined it as a mental illness and the medical world generally define it as a disease. Unless we rewrite the medical books, our own opinions on it are just that, our opinions.

We can angrily disagree, but is there much point? I think as well, by labeling it a disease it opens up more and better programs for treatment. I'm content to accept that what I have is a mental illness/ disease as it destigmafies it a little and I can actually feel more empowered to work toward changing it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
quat

One reason some people designate alcoholism as a disease is to justify developing treatment.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Good question. The answer is simply that those people who push that on you got sober learning that and stayed sober. Frankly I got sober through a 12 step intensive rehab but I don't believe in any of that. Pull the stuff from what they say out, fill it out with other stuff that you don't agree with it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Trying to debate which method of overcoming alcohol is best for everyone is like trying figure out which sexual position gives the best pleasure for everyone. People are different. Some people are similar. The trick is to find what is best for you and to not get out of control when someone else finds something that works for them.

So, yes, AA people will tell you what worked for them. They do get pushy, but they mean well. One guy said it before, it's all they know. I personally have found AA concepts untrue for me and I wish I could share my way of overcoming the addiction with everyone, but I know it was the way that helped ME. Me personally.

Love you!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Hello Messedup,

I can't walk that road either. Dogma has just never done it for me.

I've been using Rational Recovery (AVRT), it helps me a lot . I have to fight my inner beast - THE SLUG.

I won't surrender to him, I am not powerless, I don't need to be restored to sanity. I'm a drunk and want to stop drinking.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Messedup12 View Post
I'm doing a course to help me with staying abstinent from alcohol and cocaine. Most of the workers (apart from a couple) make out that they AND us our powerless, that we 'need' to work a programme, and say we have a disease. This really pisses me off and i'm struggling to want to go back. Luckily the manager is scientific and doesn't believe in AA, but most of the time we have other workers who talk as if i have a disease. They are nice people and 'sometimes' say it's whatever works for you as individuals, but they sometimes talk as though it's not a theory and it's a fact...
Well you do have a disease, its medical fact.

Secondly you do not have to work a 12 step program in order to stay sober, its just one way that is very very highly successful. If you had any power at all over your "problem", you could have just one drink or one hit, and you would be a normal "social" human being. The fact that you have problems with substances proves you are powerless. There is no other way to slice it, but you seem to want to slice it a different way. But you are the smartest person on earth arent you. There are many ways for a man or woman to live a sober, abstinance life. 12 steps is just one way, thats been proven and has a very high success rate. I could try it on my own, think my way out of this "problem" I have, but my greatest thinking has gotten me here.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Matt4x4
Well you do have a disease, its medical fact.
No. This is not accurate.

but here's the thing...as one very wise poster once said (and I paraphrase here):
"If alcoholism is a disease, and alcohol is causing you problems, you'd better quit.
If alcoholism is not a disease, and alcohol is causing you problems, you'd better quit."

Originally Posted by Matt4x4
I could try it on my own, think my way out of this "problem" I have, but my greatest thinking has gotten me here.
Yes, this is a common way of looking at it. There is also another paradigm. One that says, "My worst thinking got me here, my greatest thinking got me out."
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Certainly alcoholism illness as is suggested by AA is not a medical fact. Neither is the suggested solution a medical treatment either.

I'm a recovered alcoholic drug addict.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I don't know. I just know drinking doesn't work well for me regardless of what it is. But crap at day 19 I crave it. Like crazy.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by raider
But crap at day 19 I crave it. Like crazy.
Yep, and that's fine. You will get through it. You can do this. Surf the urge...ride it...it will end. They will become fewer and farther between. Hang on girl!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Try praying or meditating. If prayer then deep prayer, not just asking your god to help you out. The process of prayer and/or meditation will activate certain regions of the brain that can actually help stave off urges.

Hold on and don't give in
Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I'm scared this is how the relapse begins. It starts with the what is so great about being sober and not coming up with anything worth staying sober for. Then it just gets more and more intense.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

The American Medical Association says its a disease.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
The American Medical Association says its a disease.
Policy administration is not a substitute for medical fact.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I'm scared this is how the relapse begins. It starts with the what is so great about being sober and not coming up with anything worth staying sober for. Then it just gets more and more intense.
When we can't come up with anything worth staying sober for, then the challenge is to change are thinking around to once again affirm ourselves with our sobriety. When something already works well, and then begins to apparently fade, we do ourselves a serious disservice to doubt ourselves and our ongoing accomplishments. Better for us to take some effort and reflect on nothing changes if nothing changes, and staying the course with what works is better then fighting against ourselves when some change becomes uncomfortable or even unknown. It makes sense quitting is in itself a real change that leads us to even more change.

Stay strong, Raider!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

welp, my friend, heres a few things worth staying sober for:
yer worth it.
God wants you to be sober.
read through past threads and you'll remember how wonderful everything wasn't.

keep on trudging!! it WILL get better IF you work for it!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Raider this is exactly how a relapse begins. What are you doing to stay sober? Whiteknuckling isn't going to work IF your an alcoholic. Are you following a program? If so, what is your program.

You have to have tools to get through this spell, if not you will get sucked back in.