Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Related question: Why does Rational Recovery Systems, Inc. (All Rights Reserved) knock AA methods?
Same reason politicians knock their opponents. VOTE FOR MEEEEEEEEEE!

In the end, no matter who you vote for you get a politician.

Same goes with sobriety, sort of. No matter what you choose to do and do it, you get sobriety.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

AA has a right to exist just as any other recovery group but it shouldn't have a monopoly in the recovery community. i think people that go tho rehab or clinics feel there is no other way available to them thus they are having the 12 steps forced on them because if they quit they are looked at as defiant and non compliant. people with little or no insurance are in this demographic
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I think the basis behind RR's founder is not generic. He believes AA needs to be destroyed (his words) and that AA is the reason for addiction (his words).

Alcoholics Anonymous: Of Course It’s a Cult!

What I found interesting is RR charges roughly $100 for their books whereas AA is free. That was one of the cult tests I did myself.

I find one to be a technique and one to be a lifestyle. With less than 15% recovery rates according to rehabs addiction does not have good odds. There is also much money being spent on a growing problem (addiction is on the rise). So this means there is money to be captured by competing programs.

Then there is big pharma will billions to spend.

I think there are many agendas and motives in the recovery industry just like every other industry, AA included.

For what it is worth, I have found learning multiple programs, finding things I like and don't like working the best. For full disclosure, I ran to RR and came back to the 12 steps - perhaps that means I am biased now but I really feel no allegiance to any program.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

You can get the latest copy Rational Recovery's book for a few dollars used on Amazon or EBay. The last time I checked AA was selling their Big Book as well. Some meetings do give them to newcomers for free though. I was given mine.

AA has been around for seventy some years. It is all some people know. It isn't a mystery why it gets the most coverage. If your only tool is a hammer all problems look like
nails.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I feel bad for men like Jack Trimpey.

I don't follow the 12 steps. I also don't devote my energy towards manafesting ill will towards them.

I try to devote my energy towards things I like.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Awuh, Trimpey may well have his knickers in a twist. I guess only he could answer that, but regardless I think the old "principles above personalities" might apply here. I personally wouldn't hang out with the dude because I think he knicker-twists about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean I dismiss everything he says. The same applies to all programs or modes of recovery I've learned about.

Jdooner, yes recovery is big business. For what it's worth, neither RR nor AA endorses treatment centers. Those centers are generating tens of thousands of dollars per patient per month.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

I asked folks to stay away from RR vs AA topics up thread.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4593863

Seems that was too much to ask so - we're done.

D