What now???

Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluesstratguy View Post
On the guitar playing -- I think eventually it can be a big help in staying sober. I've been quit for over a year and playing the blues for hours on end really got me through. My playing has improved more than it had in years because of the hours of focused effort I suddenly could put in. For me, playing guitar was the only way I could relax without a drink in my hand each night. In fact I think I'll go go play right now before I hit the sack...
I have been playing a little each day - I am finding it easier to get through a day when I have something to do - A lot of times I lay on the couch and wonder what the heck I did, but now I am starting to walk on my beautiful land, play guitar, shoot some photos, and things like that - I STILL feel like hell though - I feel "out of it" all the time. Oh well - 45 years of drinking, I guess doesn't take 45 minutes to feel better.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
I had my doc doing blood tests, and checked in here to see if the crazies of insomnia, (which I never had before,) the morning shakes (I had to drink first thing to stop shaking,) all kinds of bad seeming things, discomfort, and bowel irregularities, with anxiety (which I never had as a panic attack before hit me a couple of times when I was afraid quitting would be worse than going back,) were normal.

It wasn't worse than going back to drinking, but can be a bit off-putting.
But that not to say not to see your doc if anything scary to you happens. That was what caused my panic attack, not going for several days then going too much. My system was totally messed up for a month, then eased up over a few more. Here is a short description.
Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrom (PAWS)|Intervention Services Virginia

I was 58 when I quit and was drinking 30 plus units a day! A unit is one beer, one shot, six ounces of wine. I was also smoking 3 packs a day so I was going through double withdrawal and PAWS. I was shaking so much in the mornings I had to put shots of scotch in my morning coffees to get normal. Many times I could not hold it down and after puking had to try again. I am pretty sure I would already have been dead a year by now had I not quit.

Some of the feelings and systemic readjustments tempted me sorely to drink just to get some physical and emotional peace. As if failing would have brought any long term peace except resting in peace for eternity. It did feel like I was between a rock and the proverbial hard place for the first month, and then it slowly got much better over the next month or two. I had energy the whole time alternating with feeling depressed. No I am no bipolar or anything else. By six months my fog was long gone and I got my days and nights back in order, as well as my lower digestive tract. But even though I thought I was over it, looking back I see where it just gradually got better with time over the first two years.

I was a guitarist too! Played from age 12 to 55. I lost my dexterity in my left hand from Dupuytren's contracture, Dupuytren's contracture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wish I had my guitar to beat on through the ordeal and now. I still write but it is not the same as playing it.

I did not get my motivation back for about a year. The problem is that my back and neck issues from a military career with injuries caught up to me. So my old favorites, skiing, scuba diving, racquet sports are no longer possible. But I can still take short walks with the pups, and run the lawn equipment on our 5 acres. So for now, doing fine. I can still do millions of things many can't. No canes or wheelchairs and have a good neurologist trying to talk me into replacing a neck vertebrae now.

All that not to throw a self pity party, but to let you know that since we drank for decades it will take a few months to get really on the road to recovery. But better that we do. The alternative is no longer an option. I am recovered. No cravings, nada.

So hang in there and play some licks for me. Life doesn't get better, we do!
Itchy - I will pick up the guitar and play some for you today - I feel like garbage and can't wait till things get "somewhat" normal again - My wife is hanging in there by my side - We go out to National Parks and I take pictures...I am trying hard. For me, I have panic/anxiety/depression since I was 12. I never got help, and so when I started playing guitar at 13 or 14, a beer or 2 felt real nice before a gig - Well by the time I was 16, I was doing a case at each practice, and at least 6 before a show - So, with that said, I am now 62 as I said, and my body gave me a clear warning sign that I was close to death. I was hospitalized with life-threatening dehydration and could have had a stroke nad or seizure. Th ER docs warned me never to drink again. I was clean for about 2 weeks, then football season started and I grabbed for a beer. Didn't stop till 18 were gone and the next day I thought for sure I was going to die. That was it. 8/24/13 - My last drink - One day at a time.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It gets much better, especially when you look forward, no longer looking to go back, feeling you are missing anything except a narrowly avoided descent into the final hell of dying when it could have been put off for a few decades or more.

I wish I could jam some too. But like the drinking, I don't feel like I lost anything when I couldn't play up to my previous ability. See, you and I are the minority. There are millions of folks that would like to not only play, but have the talent to play well entertainingly. Most of those never will. I was one of the lucky ones who got to play well, and take the stage. Caused a few smiles, shared a few tears, with my gitfiddle.

I played blues a lot but even more so folk rock and rock.

You are still gifted with the ability to play. But we both got to experience the fluidity in music and I sure can't complain for having had that. So I left behind the booze and my guitar. I can't go back to either, one by choice. Bet we both could learn a few new things in spite of the booze delay.

Let's do that, sober.

Give yourself the first year to get back to rock steady. You will, if you will it.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
It gets much better, especially when you look forward, no longer looking to go back, feeling you are missing anything except a narrowly avoided descent into the final hell of dying when it could have been put off for a few decades or more.

I wish I could jam some too. But like the drinking, I don't feel like I lost anything when I couldn't play up to my previous ability. See, you and I are the minority. There are millions of folks that would like to not only play, but have the talent to play well entertainingly. Most of those never will. I was one of the lucky ones who got to play well, and take the stage. Caused a few smiles, shared a few tears, with my gitfiddle.

I played blues a lot but even more so folk rock and rock.

You are still gifted with the ability to play. But we both got to experience the fluidity in music and I sure can't complain for having had that. So I left behind the booze and my guitar. I can't go back to either, one by choice. Bet we both could learn a few new things in spite of the booze delay.

Let's do that, sober.

Give yourself the first year to get back to rock steady. You will, if you will it.
Well - still sober here :-) I pushed myself out the door yesterday and painted the fromt porch - That's a job my wife always does. She came home from work and was so happy for me! Then I got in my car and drove to take fall pictures, stopped at a Guitar Center, and bought me a 2011 Gibson SG, but it was new. Nobody bought it because it was a cream color - I loved it - It also was made during a time where Gibson couldn't get Brazillian wood, for they used baked maple for the fret board - This guitar I got for 1/2 price and will be a collector's piece one day!
Problem now is I CANNOT SLEEP - I don't want to take ANYTHING for it...