Notices

urge.....help

Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

urge.....help

Those who have read my posts know I am preparing to detox from vicodin. However, I have to be honest and get this out. My "quit day" is Monday. I have like 50 pills left. That stupid voice in my head is telling me "take them while you can! have fun for the last few days!" I know, I should flush them or destroy them. I simply can't bring myself to do it. Someone please say something, be mean, anything....help me get rid of this urge!!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

Flush them down the toilet?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

My God, I wish I could be more helpful. I can't even take the things. I had 4 teeth pulled and still dumped them for ibuprofen.

PLEASE JUST DUMP. don't THINK, DO. You can't take them back once their gone, and that's a good thing.

Kelly
Old 10-21-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How's this? Flush em' now!!! Those pills are what tearing you up inside and out-why would you keep something around that is destroying you and doesnt give a damn about you? If your quitting Monday and thats what you are really going to do than keep the amount to get you through the weekend but nothing more. I would personally throw them all away right now but thats my opinon. Why delay the inevatable?? You are going to quit so why not quit now? Look at it this way-the sooner you quit-the sooner you will start to feel better. Your head is going to mess with you but you have to just say a prayer and suck it up! In all honesty-if I wouldnt have just quit the day I quit I would more than likely still be using-I threw away a ton of pills (ultram/norco/soma) and just wanted a life of sobriety. You can do this! Flush em so you cant dig em outta the trash because when you detox you will start digging through your stuff to see if you left a pill in your pocket or coat I did anyway but thank God I didnt find one Hope this helps a fellow texan
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The other thing is I am going to an old friend's wedding tomorrow.....all of my old high school friends that I have not seen or talked to in over 10 years will be there and I have major social anxiety issues.....also, my one year anniversary with my husband is Sunday and he is in Antarctica working.....huge bummer......major temptation to take the pills to get through the weekend
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well if your detoxing the wedding is no place to be in my opinion- your call but just like the others said..flush em and quit but you are not going to want to go anywhere in the first 3-5 days-trust me
Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's never gonna be a 'perfect time' to quit. If you keep going like this, well, you'll keep going like this, talking and worrying about detox, but not doing it
I don't wanna take the 'tough love' approach, 'cause I hate when people do it to me, but stick to your plan. If u are tapering down to quit Monday, then stick to it.

A few of my own examples from my horrible book of detoxes:

My second to last detox was over Christmas. Family, friends, events, dinners, it sucked, but I had made up my mind.

i also relate to the anxiety issues. I have SEVERE anxiety, and spent many days at work, in front of the class (I'm a teacher), detoxing, stumbling over my words,trembling....

YOU CAN do this...don't make excuses, gogogogogogo!

Take Care:SS
Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.....I'm about to be heading out of town now for the weekend, but I will check back in Sunday night when I get home and let everyone know how it went. Hope you all have a great weekend!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everybody,
Well it is Monday morning and so far I have been 16 hours without vicodin. And I only took 3 yesterday. I had hoped to quit cigarettes, too, but don't think that's gonna happen just yet. So far I feel fine...we will see. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

very good! so is your plan to not take any today? I hope you are prepared in case you experience some w/d. if that happens don't let it throw you....it'll get better. Hang in there....someone more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly......mari
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paralysisofwill
Hi everybody,
Well it is Monday morning and so far I have been 16 hours without vicodin. And I only took 3 yesterday. I had hoped to quit cigarettes, too, but don't think that's gonna happen just yet. So far I feel fine...we will see. Hope everyone is doing well.
Good for you!!!! Let's support eachother. I just flushed my stash yesterday. So this is day 1 for me. I smoke also. I'm going to wait until I get this weed out of my system before attempting to quit. One thing at a time. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Spirit30,
I went back and read your thread about flushing your stash....funny b/c I just bought fabric yesterday and planned to get my sewing machine out, too! LOL I could not get myself to flush my stash, though. I know different things work better for different people, and for me just knowing that they are there comforts me. It's when I don't have any that I get into a panic and start obsessing about needing them. Last night I made a huge list of stuff I need to get done, and when I start wanting a pill or get bored/depressed I'm just going to focus on the list. As long as I stay busy I'm good.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

For me, what worked was realizing that list of things I would get done, as long as I got clean first.
When I put all of the time and effort/obsession into getting drugs into getting clean, I was finally able to do it.
I hope you guys/gals can do it. It really does take one day at a time. As long as you don't pick up today, tomorrow will be that much easier.
That was the hardest thing for me in early recovery. Cause the only thing I knew how to do when things got rough, or I was feeling crappy was to take something, anything to feel better.
You can do it, it just takes the desire to be clean and a little faith to start.
I'll be praying you can make it through this,
Chad