Notices

Trying to find help and support

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to find help and support

I'm addicted to pain meds (Vicodin and Morphine) and I want to quit real bad but everytime I try I get sick so start using them again. I don't know what to do but i'm tired of this! Years ago i was a crack head and quit that but it was easier than this. I can't go to rehab because of my job. I don't have anyone to talk to about this so I guess thats why im here.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tisa, welcome to SR!
Hey guess what? You're not alone! Most of us have been in your shoes.
The best thing I can recommend is going to a doctor and being excruciatingly honest with the Doctor. THat will do two things. It will make you admit to yourself you have a problem, and it will allow your doctor to make the right medical decision in your best interest. I know, I am on day 4 and after 4 days of pure hell and misery, I went to my doctor. He prescibed some good medication for me and it made a GIANT difference for me!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
"Never lose hope"

Hello tisa11, I myself am a recovering oxycodone addict. Your story is very similar to.mine as far as caring about your job. I am currently recovering for an 80mg a day oxycodone habit and decided to quit cold turkey. I work 9 hours a day as a mechanic and can rarely get time off.

I'm currently on day 2 opiate free and am here to tell you it can be done. Yes you will become sick and yes it is very scary, but my advice to you is to stick with it for about 5 or 6 days and I promise it gets better. The sooner you decide to take the step to stop using the sooner your can turn your life around.

I'm here for you if you need any support and i will pray for you! I wish you the best of luck

lowlow
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tisa! Welcome! You've certainly come to right place for support and understanding. I read so many posts here in early recovery including the horrible withdrawl, There is no getting around it, you can't start recovery without w/d, detox first.

One of the things this forum did for me was to make me realize that I was not a bad person. I had a bad addiction but me, myself was not bad. When I finally got that through my head things seemed a little easier to take.

I w/d cold turkey but with my Dr's knowledge. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done and the sickest I have ever been in my life!!

But - it ends. Slowly but surely you'll start to feel better and get your strength back. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Give yourself the time and patience to get physically better and life without pills will start to look better and seem closer all the time.

I have been clean 2 1/2 years now. I feel great. I have finally been able to do so much of what I never thought possible for me. I am happy and content. It didn't happen overnight but it does happen.

You can do it!! If I can do it, you can do it!! Forgot to mention - I was a long time, large dose, oxycontin abuser.

...Ruby...

Last edited by RubyRose; 01-03-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I used drugs !!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tisa,

Welcome to SR, there are many, many people here who really care. You are not alone. Praying for you.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tisa - just in case you didn't see it I sent you a private message - I also started you a thread in newcomers forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hi-im-new.html

D
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tisa. It will get easier the longer you hold your ground and press on...i know thats easier to say than do but unfortunately thats the situation we've put ourselves in. I'm having a pretty rough time tonight also but I'm trying to press on...i hope you will do the same...good luck
Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for praying for me. It's good to know that i'm not alone.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand as well what your going through I does get better and its so worth it. There is life after addiction. Seems to be alot of support here.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 1

Its day one w/o oxy, and reading these posts, among many others on this site, has somehow helped curb the urge to call my dealer. Iw as taking them after a back surgery "as directed" for a few months but graduated to a higher tolerance levek and had to plug more into my system.I was on roughly 90mg a day for only about a month, but want to get out before anything disaterous happened, but quickly realized that growing a dependance on these things is EASY.

The current wd symptoms I am feeling are restless legs, chills, and an altogether disconnectdness with the world. The support on this site is amazing, and I feel like I can get through this with this sites help. I dont know if its my place to just throw my hat into someone elses post, but didnt know where to start.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

efftheox,
I and all of the rest of us have been in your shoes. Matter of fact, I was just there last Saturday! I'm day 7 now and feeling human again. Matter of fact, I got out today and actually got things done WITHOUT the dread, misery, and angst.
I will no sugar coat it and tell you it's gonna be an easy ride. You're in for a few really ****** days. I can tell you that if you want to avoid a week of hurt, go see a Doctor! I did on day 4 and it spared me greatly.
I was prescribed a couple of meds that took my anxiety away and allowed me to sleep 8-9 hours a day... and GOOD sleep too! Let me tell you, sleep is a big healer in the recovery process.
I would like to give you some advice (from 5 years of experience... Delete out all you contacts for getting more. Talk to someone who cares and keep them close. Once your out of the physical W/D issues... DO NOT allow yourself to re-use!!!!!!! I speak from MUCH experience when I say that when you're weeks out, your brain tells you it's OK to use a couple of again. THis is when you are most vulnerable. Once you take one more, you'll take two more, and before you know it, you're in the downward spiral again.
We're all here for you!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ive read other posts and earlier was prescribed Gabapentin and valium at low levels and heard these help in the process for sleep and aches. I have been taking vitamins and other things for nutrition and am going into this knowing full well that its going to su**. I feel like I can do it, but worry bc my fiance has no clue that I am suffering from addiction. I dont want to hide it from her, but am scared ****less that Ill lose her and be completely alone. These things are the devil...