Notices

DXM addiction

Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DXM addiction

Does anyone here have a primary or secondary DXM addiction? I am looking for people in recovery. While I was using, I spent a lot of time on dextroverse.com which does deal some with recovery, but its primary focus is centered around the use and abuse of DXM, and it is too triggering an environment for me to try to recover in. I am very grateful that I found this site, but I do not know anyone else recovering from DXM use, and would like to talk to someone who went through something similar to me.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quote the Cleansing

DXM is one of my DOC's. Prolly my second favorite drug out there. I find it funny that it's considered a "cheap" high and weak drug, but most people have never tried it, and prolly never know what it's like. I read somewhere that 80 percent of people who try it, never pick it up again. If it's so harmless, why are people afraid to try it?

This DXM stuff is out of control. i think it's very serious, and it has caused me plenty of grief. I can honestly say the DXM has messed me up more than coke (3 year use), alcohol (ten year use), and opiates (three year use). And those are just my top 4.

they say a drug is a drug is a drug, but at the same time, if u don't know the DXM experience, how it feels, how u feel coming off it, you can't counsel me on it. I'm so fukkin sick of doctors, therapist, and psychiatrist giving me "facts" on this ****, and they're all wrong. No fukkin lie, I was in the Psych ER one day, and they gave me a factsheet on pseudophedrine! WRONG FUKKIN PILL! Then one of my psychiatrists tried to convince me it was like the opiate high. It's not. That's like saying weed and coke are the same high. yeah there are similarities, but it's not the same -- TRUST!!

Sorry I just went off, I just got really pissed off at your post, NOT YOU, but this fukkin board in general, and the whole drug addiction society not accepting our problems as real.

i go to NA/AA and get help for my drug addiction, but i don't mention DXM. But i have mentioned it in the past, and i've been blessed. I know great members of both fellowships, and they seem to be understanding that the whole drug game has change.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hm... interesting topic, huh Cleanse? ... not many people know about this. I had a HUGE problem with this drug for 4 yrs, i dont even mention it anymore. People seem to down play it, like its OTC so its no big deal... let me tell you its a BIG f(&* deal... i have been in the loonybin over this drug. it will mess you up.. and thats putting it lightly. I hadnt used in 2 yrs and had a relapse back in Dec. it was a horrible scene, the paramedics, were called and my husband video taped me, not because it was funny, just so i could see later how bad off i really was, because i would not have believed it if i had not seen it with my own eyes. it was like i was possessed. I didnt even take as much as i used to and i had the worst experience of my life. So you never know what it can do.
My advice, STAY AWAY from this stuff
crys
Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

glad you posted this. I just made a thread like this in the glbt section but only cleanse responded. It'd be nice to have our own group of some sort.
good to keep in touch. We have very small chances of surviving our relapses on dxm, where as when i drink i usually cry for several hours. but all drugs/alcohol lead to my doc, dextromethorphan.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crzylilmndfreak View Post
hm... interesting topic, huh Cleanse? ... not many people know about this. I had a HUGE problem with this drug for 4 yrs, i dont even mention it anymore. People seem to down play it, like its OTC so its no big deal... let me tell you its a BIG f(&* deal... i have been in the loonybin over this drug. it will mess you up.. and thats putting it lightly. I hadnt used in 2 yrs and had a relapse back in Dec. it was a horrible scene, the paramedics, were called and my husband video taped me, not because it was funny, just so i could see later how bad off i really was, because i would not have believed it if i had not seen it with my own eyes. it was like i was possessed. I didnt even take as much as i used to and i had the worst experience of my life. So you never know what it can do.
My advice, STAY AWAY from this stuff
crys
Yeah. I don't know if it's because I'm clinically depressed, or just the drug itself. But I also ended up in the psych ward because of this drug. Alcohol and DXM were all I was using at the time. Its' a hallucinogen/dissociative; and b/c it's otc, u're basically creating a toxic body mass by overdosing. The only way to get high on this stuff is to overdose basically.

There were a few DXm users on here before, as in heavy users, but they dont' seem to be around anymore. I hope they ok.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleansing View Post

There were a few DXm users on here before, as in heavy users, but they dont' seem to be around anymore. I hope they ok.
i hope their ok too, but from what i've seen, you either fry ur brain, overdose + die, or move onward to heroin. lol
not funny but it just seems like thats where it goes.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oooh a post about DXM.... let's see where to start, well, basically, this is my DOC, too, and i have talked with you, Cleansing, about this, maybe i am one of those who 'didn't seem to be around anymore', tho i was only on this board for a short period of time about a year ago, and this was the first thread that caught my eye when i came back, hence my first post in quite a while. So, with DXM i have had some of the very same types of experiences, as far as doctors and the 'professional' recovery community not having a clue about the effects, psychological addictive potential, nor the mechanism of action (dissociative anesthetic most similar to Ketamine, PCP, even nitrous oxide (though the effects ARE quite different, these are the others in this class)). I, also visited the website and chat room mentioned by OneWithWings, and they do glorify this drug and rant about all kinds of related and not-so-related crap on there. Not an environment conducive to recovery. I hope and pray that others who seek help from DXM addiction can find others to help understand their particular problem. Its a very attractive feeling for me to want to use DXM, and i do 'suffer' from a mental illness as well, maybe this is a reason for wanting to 'escape' through DXM, as it seems to quiet my symptoms for a short while. But the net effect is always negative, no matter how nice of a 'glow' i get from the drug. Please understand, people, those of you who don't know what this drug is, that its just as dangerous as any other drug, even the narcotics. And since it has not been widely recognized as a drug of abuse, there have not been as many studies as to the long-term effects. I won't continue to ramble on about it, but its nice to be back on this board, and i hope to get back into the swing of things here, will check back periodically. God Bless.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alien22 View Post
Oooh a post about DXM.... let's see where to start, well, basically, this is my DOC, too, and i have talked with you, Cleansing, about this, maybe i am one of those who 'didn't seem to be around anymore', tho i was only on this board for a short period of time about a year ago, and this was the first thread that caught my eye when i came back, hence my first post in quite a while. So, with DXM i have had some of the very same types of experiences, as far as doctors and the 'professional' recovery community not having a clue about the effects, psychological addictive potential, nor the mechanism of action (dissociative anesthetic most similar to Ketamine, PCP, even nitrous oxide (though the effects ARE quite different, these are the others in this class)). I, also visited the website and chat room mentioned by OneWithWings, and they do glorify this drug and rant about all kinds of related and not-so-related crap on there. Not an environment conducive to recovery. I hope and pray that others who seek help from DXM addiction can find others to help understand their particular problem. Its a very attractive feeling for me to want to use DXM, and i do 'suffer' from a mental illness as well, maybe this is a reason for wanting to 'escape' through DXM, as it seems to quiet my symptoms for a short while. But the net effect is always negative, no matter how nice of a 'glow' i get from the drug. Please understand, people, those of you who don't know what this drug is, that its just as dangerous as any other drug, even the narcotics. And since it has not been widely recognized as a drug of abuse, there have not been as many studies as to the long-term effects. I won't continue to ramble on about it, but its nice to be back on this board, and i hope to get back into the swing of things here, will check back periodically. God Bless.
Yes, it has always been the only thing that seemed to "cure" my mental illnesses ( but in reality making it worse)
its like scratching an itch,
I've been in the Mental health system for quite a while now. I may have developed a dissociative disorder. For people who dont know dxm is a (Dissociative). Independent from the other categories. It's a trip. But it's no hallucinogen. Its not quite that simple. I was talking to a girl at work yesterday who loves acid. She really pisses me off. I'm in recovery, she isnt. I should let it go now, But "moving on to real drugs" is not a healthy Response to my situation, lol... all drugs, even booze, lead me, in some way, back to dxm. My first trip.
x_x
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses guys, I feel really validated. I am glad I am not off base in thinking that this drug is somewhat unique in that it is so commonly misconceived by both addicts and normies alike. I am considering making a documentary in the future about this drug, to help dispel some of the myths about it and bring it into the limelight, especially for parents of teens and pre-teens. This drug has been hell for me. I have been on the psych ward twice because of it, and gone to rehab over it. I have relapsed too many times, and I am really scared of it now. I don't want this drug to run my life anymore, like it has for the last 4 years.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here is my DXM rant. This drug screws/screwed my exhusband and myself for a time. He's been on and off it for almost 10 years. It started when we were in high school with C3s (yea you DXmers know what I mean) and eventually we went to powder and capping our own.

Thankfully DXM didn't mix well with the psyc meds I started taking years ago so I stopped (minus one relapse). The exhusband did not. I could always tell when he was on it because of the distant look and lack of caring about... anything. It's a three day trip from hell - two days sometimes but the feeling lingers. The styrafoam taste is horrible and yea there's me venting about DXM. I understand what y'all are going through and there is a lack of support in the addiction community about this drug. Most drugs if you only take one dose you will come down in 24 hours - not DXM... 3 days of its detachment.

The relapse before this past one I was suicidal and just rather masochistic. I took 23 c3s and smoked some heroin and . . . yea screwed myself . . . and it's on tape. Tape yourself on DXM sometime if you've never seen it - it's an interesting watch. I never imagined i looked like that whole tripping.

Sorry it's an early morning blabber and i'm not sure if I have a point other than to share my experience

Take care guys and the best of luck hope and everything else to you
Chavo
Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a friend who I've recently met and he's had an addiction to triple c's (coricidin) and alcohol for over 10 years. He's been in and out of jail for theft and psych wards for his drug-induced psychosis several times. I dropped him off at a rehab center that's Christian-based. They don't treat the drug addiction through science, just through prayer and isolation. (He can't make any calls or go anywhere for the first 6 weeks) then he begins a ministry program. Does this seem like an effective treatment? The more I read about this addiction, the more I realize that it might need more than just prayers to get through. Do any of you have any insight in what the recovery is like for this type of addiction? He routinely (daily) took about 25-32 Coricidin pills a day along with alcohol. I am so sad for him and am hoping that this rehab place will be what he needs....
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FriendOfAFriend

I beleive faith can move mountains...the tough part is finding the faith.

Personally for myself prayer and isolation wasn't enough - but I wasn't in the right place for that when I was trying to get clean and sober...and I didn't go to rehab.

I have seen it work for others tho - like I said - faith can move mountains.

Maybe your friend is in the right place emotionally. Maybe it's what he wants?

D
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response. I'm hoping that it's the right thing for him. The more I read about his addiction and recovery, the more I realize how tough this must be. He says he wants to change for us, and that he wants to be with me. I also wish for that, but realize that's highly unrealistic and also realize that I am a codependent, which is a term that I never even knew of before. It's actually frightening to realize that I have this issue and that it's what's drawing me to help him. Anyway, lots of confusion going on over here, and that's just my part. About my friend, I am praying for him, and realize that we are not right for each other because of our codependent natures. We would perpetuate problems in each other. It's really sad.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will be thinking of your friend today, I hope he gets the help that he needs. I was in rehab and relapsed a lot after getting out. I am making an honest effort now, but everyone needs something different, and some people need more help than others. I have been on the psych ward twice, been through rehab, overdosed, gone catatonic, and been in NA, and still relapsed because I did not have the personal conviction to say "No matter what."
Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All I have to say is this drug sent me to jail.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Wxcwman;2624013]All I have to say is this drug sent me to jail.

can you elaborate on that, or at least p.m. me?
ty
crys
Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Done
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would love to have this thread as sort of a 'tribe' to talk about DXM-related topics, since it doesn't seem to be talked about much on here. Honestly once you get away from the drugs it is all the same working on our recovery, but I think it is important to remember the things that got us here. I never want to turn to this drug again.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else is interested.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I think they had an intervention show on DXM once and the guy did seem pretty drugged out. I kind of remember him walking about on the street. Hope you get more responses.