Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Why do people act like there is only ONE way to treat addiction?

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

THIS IS A PARTIAL RE-POST FROM A THREAD THAT 'KEYZ" PUT UP. I CHANGED A FEW SENTENCES FOR IT TO MAKE MORE SENSE, BUT HERE GOES:

I have noticed this about doctors, therapist, and ex addicts etc.. It's like they read from a book how to treat addiction, and they put those philosophies to work on any and everyone.. I just don't feel that there is one set way, to fix all addicts, or people who've become addicted.

For example when I went to the doctor to get my subs, he was trying to tell me that I had some deeper issues that I needed to address as far as my addiction is concerned. However honestly there was no deeper issues. I was never abused, molested, had a hard time coping with my feelings, or had some deep secret that caused me to use drugs. I started using, liked it and before I knew it I was in over my head. So how do you treat me? Do I need to go see a therapist? Do I need counseling?

Honestly I do not know. This is my first time kicking the pills and booze.. So far I haven't had the urge to use or drink. I also quit the subs.. I was on them for a little over 3 weeks..

So I do not know what my future holds.. I do not know If I'm going to use again. I would like to hope that I will be able to not look back, and not be the "norm" of addiction.. Much like my belief in marriage.. I do not believe in marriage, and I've lost a relationship that really meant a lot to me based on that belief.. I'm saying that to say: I was able to step out of the norm in that aspect, so I'm hoping it will trickle down to this addiction..

As for people who kick their addictions with no NA, AA, or divine intervention. Maybe wee will be the "Lebron James" of addicts.. You know not many players go from high school to the pros, and people advised him not too, told him that he WOULDN'T be successful, but hey look at Lebron now..

I've noticed that so many people preach of only ONE way to do it.. Obviously there are some people who can just stop, and never look back. How do you know if you're one of those people? how do you know if the person you're telling "your way wont work" is that person who can do it?

On Saturday I was at a party full of booze. I stopped for a moment and thought, and it felt SOOOOOOO good not having any urge to drink.

I'm not trying to start any heated debates. I'm just wondering what your take on this subject is..
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Bill Wilson, cofounder of AA, said there are many paths to recovery.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I think there is an assumption that I am one of the people here who "preach" that there is only one way out of addiction. I don't believe that. However, I do know what worked for me and others. so, of course that's what people will hear from me...what worked for me.
I do believe that the trauma that we often cause ourselves and others through our addictions is enough to frequently benefit from some kind of outside assistance. The trauma need not be molestation or abuse. It's enough that we often lied, cheated, stole, etc., to hide or support our habit. I believe that it helps solidify long term abstinence to address those issues.

People often speak here of the difficulty of withdrawal and how that memory will keep them clean long term. My experience is that that memory fades. If remembering the pain of withdrawal were enough, I doubt there would be as many people here, quitting for the second, third, fourth time...which is how a lot of posts here begin.

I guess I wonder why people would not want to address the reasons they used; and kept on using even though they were causing harm to themselves and/or others? I see that as the best way to keep me from ever making the same mistakes again. I believe that's a life lesson, applicable to any situation, including addiction.

There are people who attempt to heal broken bones without any intervention. They may be successful, but I still doubt I'd try it without a doctor.

The bottom line for me is this: whatever works, works. But I believe that one needs some kind of plan for staying clean if addiction has done significant damage to his/her life. And rarely does one wind up here if it has not.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I actually see so many, many different ways 'preached' that I can't relate to the 'one way' treatment idea.

The way I like best is when someone shares their experience, strength, and hope regarding what works/worked for them.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I don't think there's only one way.

NA/AA have helped a whole lot of people. That's why they're recommended so often. I think it's a bit of a numbers game. There are a number of other really great (although somewhat less popular) programs that work for a lot of people too. Thank goodness they're out there for anyone who needs them, and thank goodness they're free.

I think that part of the reason it might seem that there's a heavy leaning toward recovery programs in general is that people can recommend that others with addiction problems go there for help, but it would probably be odd if someone recommended that a poster not attend a program, if you know what I mean.

I no longer mind posts that recommend NA/AA. Heaven knows that I didn't want to hear a thing about them for the first few weeks I was clean. Now I get it. I think the wording is important, but I can understand why more people here might have an NA/AA bias. The programs have worked for them, and ultimately they want to share the wealth. You can get very tired of losing people because they didn't work a program when that's probably the best thing that could have helped them.

There are statistics out there regarding successful recovery without the aid of formal recovery programs. A percentage of people with addictions can do this. I am neither a field expert nor a recovery statistician, but the lower numbers I've seen run from 5% to 15%, which isn't very much (unless you're indeed in that percentage, at which point you'd care a whole bunch about those numbers), although there are a number of other studies that suggest that the percentages are actually much higher than that. I think it's because we're all different, that perhaps there is a spectrum of addict types or addiction severity.

At the risk of being too honest, the types of posts that have bothered me in the past are the ones where a newcomer is told something that can be read as insinuating that without a program, they're bound for failure, or coming as close as you can get to choosing failure. Personally, I wonder if those sorts of comments can do more harm than good. What I have come to understand, though, is that the intentions are well-meaning. People don't want others to underestimate the power of addiction, to underestimate the relationship between addiction and relapse, or to make the same mistakes they've made. For the most part, I believe that this is where they're coming from.

In my opinion, recovery takes work, no matter what the course, whether it's with a program or without one. My road has been based on a combination of things, and although my overall approach might be a little less than standard, NA/AA have played a role in this, and I can only be thankful for that. All I know is that so far my choice of action has been working for me.

With that said, only you can know what your position is. Others can share their own experiences, but you're the one who gets to make the choices you believe to be the most fitting. It could be with a program, it could be without a program, or it could be through a combination of things. As long as it keeps working for you, then more power to you, and more power to the method. All I want to see are more real success stories.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
I think there is an assumption that I am one of the people here who "preach" that there is only one way out of addiction. I don't believe that. However, I do know what worked for me and others. so, of course that's what people will hear from me...what worked for me.
I do believe that the trauma that we often cause ourselves and others through our addictions is enough to frequently benefit from some kind of outside assistance. The trauma need not be molestation or abuse. It's enough that we often lied, cheated, stole, etc., to hide or support our habit. I believe that it helps solidify long term abstinence to address those issues.

People often speak here of the difficulty of withdrawal and how that memory will keep them clean long term. My experience is that that memory fades. If remembering the pain of withdrawal were enough, I doubt there would be as many people here, quitting for the second, third, fourth time...which is how a lot of posts here begin.

I guess I wonder why people would not want to address the reasons they used; and kept on using even though they were causing harm to themselves and/or others? I see that as the best way to keep me from ever making the same mistakes again. I believe that's a life lesson, applicable to any situation, including addiction.

There are people who attempt to heal broken bones without any intervention. They may be successful, but I still doubt I'd try it without a doctor.

The bottom line for me is this: whatever works, works. But I believe that one needs some kind of plan for staying clean if addiction has done significant damage to his/her life. And rarely does one wind up here if it has not.
But what if the only reason the person lied, cheated and stole was to fuel their addiction? So in essence once you eliminate the addiction, wouldn't it also eliminate those issues?

Since I've quit I haven't had one dream about pills or really a craving for them.. Well if i keep it honest, for like the first 2 weeks I would wish i had a pill when I was about to have sex, because I was so used to performing on them, but other than that I didn't really have an urge.

Well I've went to two NA meetings, and they weren't all that bad, but I guess I'm going to see if I can be one of the anomalies and do it with no outside assistance..
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
I don't think there's only one way.

NA/AA have helped a whole lot of people. That's why they're recommended so often. I think it's a bit of a numbers game. There are a number of other really great (although somewhat less popular) programs that work for a lot of people too. Thank goodness they're out there for anyone who needs them, and thank goodness they're free.

I think that part of the reason it might seem that there's a heavy leaning toward recovery programs in general is that people can recommend that others with addiction problems go there for help, but it would probably be odd if someone recommended that a poster not attend a program, if you know what I mean.

I no longer mind posts that recommend NA/AA. Heaven knows that I didn't want to hear a thing about them for the first few weeks I was clean. Now I get it. I think the wording is important, but I can understand why more people here might have an NA/AA bias. The programs have worked for them, and ultimately they want to share the wealth. You can get very tired of losing people because they didn't work a program when that's probably the best thing that could have helped them.

There are statistics out there regarding successful recovery without the aid of formal recovery programs. A percentage of people with addictions can do this. I am neither a field expert nor a recovery statistician, but the lower numbers I've seen run from 5% to 15%, which isn't very much (unless you're indeed in that percentage, at which point you'd care a whole bunch about those numbers), although there are a number of other studies that suggest that the percentages are actually much higher than that. I think it's because we're all different, that perhaps there is a spectrum of addict types or addiction severity.

At the risk of being too honest, the types of posts that have bothered me in the past are the ones where a newcomer is told something that can be read as insinuating that without a program, they're bound for failure, or coming as close as you can get to choosing failure. Personally, I wonder if those sorts of comments can do more harm than good. What I have come to understand, though, is that the intentions are well-meaning. People don't want others to underestimate the power of addiction, to underestimate the relationship between addiction and relapse, or to make the same mistakes they've made. For the most part, I believe that this is where they're coming from.

In my opinion, recovery takes work, no matter what the course, whether it's with a program or without one. My road has been based on a combination of things, and although my overall approach might be a little less than standard, NA/AA have played a role in this, and I can only be thankful for that. All I know is that so far my choice of action has been working for me.

With that said, only you can know what your position is. Others can share their own experiences, but you're the one who gets to make the choices you believe to be the most fitting. It could be with a program, it could be without a program, or it could be through a combination of things. As long as it keeps working for you, then more power to you, and more power to the method. All I want to see are more real success stories.
You're post was great! My post was actually focusing on the 'newcomer" who is basically told that he/she WILL fail if they don't do it a certain way. I understand that most posts are in good spirit, with only the persons best interest in mind, but I can see how it will be discouraging to be told "you can't do something" just because so many before you have failed..
Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Y'all are doing it wrong.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Good one..LOL
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

paperboy, there is the possibility that we're talking about two different conditions here. If I had been able to put the drug down and see all the attendant behaviors and thoughts go with it, I'd never have needed treatment. Maybe something to get me through withdrawals.

As problematic as my drug use was, the real problems began when I quit. The behaviors and thoughts didn't go away, and the desire to return to the drug no matter what the consequences didn't go away. I only turned to 12 step recovery after I'd exhausted all other options.

If you can put the drug down and walk away from it, my hat's off to you. Have a good life and don't look back.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My take on it is other addicts KNOW what works for them. And as addicts, we have to remember we are SELFISH a$$holes. So put the two together and you will run into people who think that JUST because it worked for them, it MUST work for you. I listen to what others have to say, take in and use what I feel I need, and try not to do it JUST my way (my way would be to be clean for a few months, show myself I can control it, and go out and use, only to see I cannot control it, DUH, it's called addiction- LOL). I do believe in a higher power and use that as much as I can. Of course, many people jump back instantly when you say Higher Power. They automatically think God, or religion, or something like that. But honestly, a HP could be your family, NA, AA, other groups, the sun, the moon, the stars... When I was small, I was told of my Cherokee Ancestry. Now, I am only 1/16th Cherokee. I look and BURN like my Irish ancestors. I also have a German ancestry. But I am pretty good at Spanish, and I took more towards the spirituality of my Cherokee side. Sometimes I do my step work, sometimes I do not. I do go to meetings when I can. I haven't called my sponsor in a while. I am still a bit angry with what she last said. She is one of those types that thinks ONE set way is THE way to stay clean. And I am so grateful it worked for her and continues to, but it wasn't working for me. I felt too constricted. I do not like to follow a set path. I like to stop and smell the flowers. I like to get off the path once in a while and see what is behind all the trees.. So to speak. It's probably what led me to try crack cocaine in the first place, and I am sorry I got hooked on it, but being the kind of wierdo I am, with some trial and error, I've found what works for me. And I am over 110 days clean from crack cocaine. Who would have thought that could ever happen. Ya know? LOL.
I hope that it doesn't end in death for anyone, as we all deserve a chance to try, but I find a lot of people NEED to try things to see what works and what doesn't. I found substituting didn't work for me, and I have seen it not work for a great many of people, but it doesn't mean it won't work for one person. I wouldn't never recommend it, personally, but if a person wants to try it, I refuse to judge them for it or tell them what they are doing is wrong. Ya never know... Some people get by fine JUST going to meetings. Some NEED that step work. Some, like me, find that getting back into old hobbies, such as cars and racing (or sports, cooking, going hiking, etc.), and staying busy (without over doing it) helps to keep them focused.
Many people will say that my being molested and raped as a child, my wild days being married to a drug dealer, and cleaning up the mess from my father's suicide, is what drove me to my crack addiction. Honestly, I dealt with those things. Sometimes, they will make me kind of sad, but more often than not, I find those things, no matter how awful they seem to others, made me a stronger and better person. They made me who I am. Just like my addiction. I don't like it, but it made me more cautious (albeit a bit more jaded too- the bad with the good), and I really feel that this relationship I am in now, with my boyfriend, will work because I have not made him my everything. No matter how I started off in a relationship, the man always became my everything eventually. We've been seeing each other for about 9 months, being a couple since late Decemeber/early January, and I will make time to nurture our relationship because I really like him, but I don't feel the desire to make him my everything. I don't need to check with him to make sure what I am doing is right. He's more my partner. Like how a relationship should actually work.
And I know.. I got WAY off the topic there.. Sorry... I'll shut up now. LOL
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had three relapses and then I read this book about a boy whose Mother is a alcoholic,and the shame and fear that goes with it,the book was maybe 50 pages and while reading it he states" Alcohol is a disease no different then people who have diabetes " I quit and have never had the urge for going on 13 years now.Everyone is different in what make them realize that they have to quit what ever addiction they have.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katie89 View Post
I had three relapses and then I read this book about a boy whose Mother is a alcoholic,and the shame and fear that goes with it,the book was maybe 50 pages and while reading it he states" Alcohol is a disease no different then people who have diabetes " I quit and have never had the urge for going on 13 years now.Everyone is different in what make them realize that they have to quit what ever addiction they have.
Most people i know can get inspired by a book, or even a movie, granted, but few, if not anyone can just read a book and walk away from powerful addictive drugs, I dont buy it at all, sorry.....
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredtostp View Post
Most people i know can get inspired by a book, or even a movie, granted, but few, if not anyone can just read a book and walk away from powerful addictive drugs, I dont buy it at all, sorry.....
You see what i mean? Your comment is exactly why I started this post.. I'm not knocking your skepticism, however why cant a person do that?

And for that person that CAN who are you, or anyone else to tell them that they can't?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Very few things are making me laugh these days, so thanks, Windy
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

There's as many 'ways' as there are addicts.. maybe you're only hearing the stuff loudly that you don't want to hear, and ignoring what's coming from within. If you don't need any of "that" treatment or "that" way...cool, walk away, never look back. Too many people die trying to do that, so I am glad there's other ways And I am so ignorant to what you're talking about, I don't even know which one way you're referring to! There's so many..

I didn't use NA, or AA, but I sure as hell didn't LeBron it as you say, it was ******* hard work!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
You see what i mean? Your comment is exactly why I started this post.. I'm not knocking your skepticism, however why cant a person do that?

And for that person that CAN who are you, or anyone else to tell them that they can't?
paperboy, there's a common misconception that anyone who uses or abuses drugs to the point of physical dependence is an addict. And an addict need not be physically dependent upon a substance in order to use it to feed the addiction. Unfortunately, there's no agreed upon terminology to distinguish between the two, and there are lots of threads around here discussing it, debating it and arguing over it. I'll offer up the difference as I've come to understand it, but please know, I do so with no intention to argue.

For the sake of discussion, let's call our two groups "abusers" and "addicts," though technically, one need not abuse a substance to become physically dependent.

The "abuser" may be taking a pharmaceutical as directed but find difficulty coming off it when the purpose for taking it has resolved--because physical dependence has set in. Now, if this is my mother, she'd probably go through the few days of feeling ill and think twice the next time the doctor prescribed it. To avoid feeling ill, others might feign symptoms or look to other sources to get more. Ultimately, though, once the physical dependence is broken one way or another, there's no craving for the drug.

The abuser might also start doing an illicit drug for recreational reasons and go through the same sort of physical dependence. Addict-like behaviors (lying, stealing, etc) might accompany their use, but again, once the dependence is broken, the behaviors stop and unless a conscious choice is made to start all over again, the abuser has no trouble staying clean.

An addict, on the other hand, may or may not become physically dependent, may or may not begin as an abuser and develop into an addict (I believe myself to have been born an addict), and regardless of the time away from the drug, unless some sort of treatment is sought and followed, an addict is likely to return to a drug or another drug (we're very good at saying, "I can't do X, but Y never hurt me" -- which his the lie we tell ourselves to keep using something).

Most statistics say about 10% of the population is or has the potential to become an addict.

If you can walk away, paperboy, then perhaps you were a drug abuser and not an addict?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
paperboy, there's a common misconception that anyone who uses or abuses drugs to the point of physical dependence is an addict. And an addict need not be physically dependent upon a substance in order to use it to feed the addiction. Unfortunately, there's no agreed upon terminology to distinguish between the two, and there are lots of threads around here discussing it, debating it and arguing over it. I'll offer up the difference as I've come to understand it, but please know, I do so with no intention to argue.

For the sake of discussion, let's call our two groups "abusers" and "addicts," though technically, one need not abuse a substance to become physically dependent.

The "abuser" may be taking a pharmaceutical as directed but find difficulty coming off it when the purpose for taking it has resolved--because physical dependence has set in. Now, if this is my mother, she'd probably go through the few days of feeling ill and think twice the next time the doctor prescribed it. To avoid feeling ill, others might feign symptoms or look to other sources to get more. Ultimately, though, once the physical dependence is broken one way or another, there's no craving for the drug.

The abuser might also start doing an illicit drug for recreational reasons and go through the same sort of physical dependence. Addict-like behaviors (lying, stealing, etc) might accompany their use, but again, once the dependence is broken, the behaviors stop and unless a conscious choice is made to start all over again, the abuser has no trouble staying clean.

An addict, on the other hand, may or may not become physically dependent, may or may not begin as an abuser and develop into an addict (I believe myself to have been born an addict), and regardless of the time away from the drug, unless some sort of treatment is sought and followed, an addict is likely to return to a drug or another drug (we're very good at saying, "I can't do X, but Y never hurt me" -- which his the lie we tell ourselves to keep using something).

Most statistics say about 10% of the population is or has the potential to become an addict.

If you can walk away, paperboy, then perhaps you were a drug abuser and not an addict?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Sugah for President!!!

Wow what a great way to put it.. You've expressed in this short writing what I've been trying to explain to some friends, and family through discussions about addiction..

Again great writing.. I'm hoping I'm able to walk away, and not look back.. I haven't had any craving for the drug, other then what I described about my first few SEX episodes, after initially stopping..
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well said Sug !I think there are different types and degree's of addict also. Depending on where you fall into this scheme of things, detox, some research about what you've done to yourself and communicating on line with others might be enough of a program to get some people through. Others might require 90 day inpatient, psychoanalysis additional meds and ongoing supervision.My buddy who is clean 15 months took 3 # 10 hydro's the other day.He said they were what they were, but as long as he didn't take any more he doesn't feel he relapsed.Many people can have a beer or two and not get carried away.Everyone is different,I also think that once you have been really addicted to something like opiates, the potential is there to become addicted to alcohol or something else that wasn't a problem before. As far as there being only one method, I think that there are a couple popular methods that get the most play because Doctors and others are most familiar with them, it would be impossible to tailor a program to each person. If someone suggests suboxone or NA I think they do so with the facts backing them up as far as numbers of successful stories.I think people in the threads should relay their own experiences and let people choose for themselves. Tell others what worked for you and what didn't.Be tolerant no matter what and offer understanding and support.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Windy,
You are wrong , On so many levels !