Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Why do people act like there is only ONE way to treat addiction?

Notices

Why do people act like there is only ONE way to treat addiction?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

P.S. The important thing, though, is "to thine own self, be true." If you're having trouble getting or staying clean, by all means, seek out whatever treatment is necessary. I'm a 12 stepper, and if I'd tried it the first time instead of waiting till the last, I'd be clean a long, long time.

And, I'm sorry, paperboy. I must respectfully decline your nomination. I'd never be able to get presidential-level clearances
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Everyone is a different addict.

I've realized that the only way you can ever quit is to want to more than anything in your mind. I mean you really have to want to.

If you just kindof want to but still have that thought in the back of your mind that you kindof don't want to it won't work. You can go to rehab 19 times if ya want but it won't work. Now me, Rehab is not for me. If I had to sit in a rehab honestly that would probably make me take more drugs when I got out. I always knew that wasn't an option because I know myself and I know I couldn't handle sitting in a rehab for even a week. It's a very hard thing to kick.

The withdrawls are bad and some addicts use the withdrawls as an excuse not to quit. Including me. I used to do that myself. But it's really the mental addiction you have to it that's the worse part. That part never goes away.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by vicodaniel View Post
Windy,
You are wrong , On so many levels !
That's IT !! I'm releasing The Buseys on you all !!!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

ONE way to treat addiction?
In all my years here, I don't remember anyone ever saying that.

This dude I know, said it hurts too much, going to funerals and bawling when he goes by the casket of friends who insisted on doing it on their own.

I know I guy who couldn't do it on his own, dope kicked his ass severe. So much so that he deemed the only way out, was to end it, by taking a shotgun to his head. Now he's gone

So these 12 step programs don't seem to bad , do they?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredtostp View Post
Most people i know can get inspired by a book, or even a movie, granted, but few, if not anyone can just read a book and walk away from powerful addictive drugs, I dont buy it at all, sorry.....
From what I have read of your posts, I feel you are in too early of recovery to make that kind of statement. I don't know you or everything about you, just what I've read here on SR, and honestly, ask yourself if you've been around recovery long enough to know that for certain. I actually know two people who decided that enough was enough, purely on their own and never looked back. Granted one was only giving up cigarettes, but they are powerfully addictive too. He was my grandfather and gave up a 4 pack a day habit. The other was an alcoholic, drinking heavily nearly every day and he also walked away. Decided his family was more important. He never went to meetings, doctors, or other drugs. He works construction now and doesn't drink. I still keep in touch with him. I think it's amazing and actually I wonder if he was addicted or ?? I don't know. Maybe sometimes people might think they are addicts, find something that motivates them enough to quit and I do question whether or not they were truly addicts, but then again, I am not them and I don't know what they are thinking.. It very well could just mean that they set their minds to stopping and were able to do that. I wish I could have been that way, but I am very happy for them all the same. I really think the majority of us DO need some sort of structure/program to help us, but there are going to be people who do not... Hope that is making sense, but anyway, I would really hope you wouldn't close your mind to all possibilities. It CAN happen. [
Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Interesting question. Perhaps someday they will invent a pill to cure addiction and/or alcoholism. But I'm not sure that's possible. And with sobriety, I get to live a healthy and happy life with no medications, only a spiritual solution. It's life lived the way it should be. My alcoholism is the best thing that ever happened to me because I'm a much better person today. Yeah, "only" a spiritual solution. I'm a miracle. A pill might reroute brain chemistry or quell the joneses, but there's still that empty blackness.