Notices
View Poll Results: What is your program of choice?
Primarily NA
19.70%
Primarily AA
27.27%
SMART Recovery
10.61%
RR/SOS/LifeRing
3.03%
Program not in poll
9.09%
No program
30.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

What is your recovery?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

What is your recovery?

I was browsing these forums earlier tonight and realized what wonderful choices we have these days in our recovery. I thought I would poll and see what choice posters here are using.

I put Primarly NA and Primarly AA as separate choices because I have read posts that state that they prefer AA even when they primarly abuse substances besides alcohol.

I placed SMART Recovery separate from the rest as I have perceived that seems to be the secular program of choice and I am curious as if I am correct.

Thank you for taking time to vote.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Smile :-)

I would say I use the "Done-With-It" Program. I voted for Smart, because I like it the best.

I tend to read a lot, I've been in therapy for years, and plan on going back as soon as I can.

I take a little bit from everywhere and take and use what works best for me.
I know myself pretty well, and I know my recovery well. When I start lacking I do more work. Being on the boards helps me a lot. I learn from others when they share their experience.

I don't do well with people pushing their views or their program on me, or when people judge my recovery.

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone trying to better themselves.
Whatever works for them, I think is great! If it doesn't work for them, they will figure that out on their own in their time, and hopefully try something new.

So far this method has worked great for me in my life, with many different issues.

Bottom line for me is Whatever it takes to stay off of Meth, That is what I will do.

Great thread Alera! Thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not on a program yet and am still using, Just been looking this place over an taking it a day at a time.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Welcome to SR Jessie! When your ready to quit, you'll find a lot of support here. Stick around and keep reading, look forward to seeing you on the boards!

DWI
Old 08-11-2006, 01:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well thanks, I just came back on to apologize for messin up the poll. I mean I'm not even in recovery and don't know a world without drugs in it. Good place though, looks good.
anyway thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this post, Alera.

When I cleaned up, NA was not around where I live so I went to AA. The people there for the most part were sympathetic.

I have been looking at SmartRecovery and haven't decided about that yet.

I'll be curious to see the outcome of your poll.
'
Take care.

Carol
Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
X IV

I am an equal oppurtunity addict. My drug of choice was more. More of any drug (but mostly IV heroin) or alcohol. I tried AA and NA. I like both but AA is my home. I found everything I needed there.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

NA all the way for me....but I guess that's why I got the tattoo...

I tried both AA and NA, and NA feels like my house, AA feels like I'm visiting in-laws.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cmc

Alera,
I think this poll is a great idea!

Jessie,
Welcome to SR!

My program? Well that is most interesting since I am not an addict or alcoholic. My husband is in recovery and my son is in jail due to his drug addiction.
My issues have been mainly with codepency. In my early years of recovery I spent more time in the rooms of NA and AA- primarily because I learned more about myself there than I did in my 'own' Alanon meetings!
Oddly, NA is where I received the most/best ESH I needed to work out my own issues. I attended more than 6 meetings per week during my worst periods- only one of those meetings being Alanon. I met some very serious people there and was inspired and encouaraged.
I work a daily program, with my HP that is similar to the 'steps' and have many friends in various programs that work for them, people with 25 and up to 40 yrs clean time each.
I like to visit various forums here on SR and get to know how others find recovery.
If I were to participate in the poll ( I will leave that to the regulars here ) I guess I would say 'program not in poll'- or a combination of some of those listed.
I most always feel at home in any NA and AA mtg- not so for me in Alanon/Naranon f2f meetings lately. I can't share in NA/AA f2f meetings, but it's good for me to just listen... still! ears open, after all this time! It has been least 5 years now.
My old Alanon 'regular' mtg was the best...like family, but I am not able to go there at this time. When I can I do come 'home' to reconnect.
I think the main thing is to actually have a program- to be serious about it and not to become closed off to what has worked for others.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I voted for NA buts use both NA and AA to stay clean.

I had 20 years clean from smack and anything else going, relapsed and drank myself to near death for 10 years. Since I stopped I realise I need a constant program and I also realised that for me I have a dis ease, I am an Addict and will never be cured. I have a repreive one day at a time.

Having said all of that, there re many ways to get clean (thats the easy bit!) and stay clean and live a life of your choosing. Every way has its benefits and I keep my eyes and ears open

Last my Dad (HP) helps me all day every day being my guide.

Love Kevin
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Being in NA and AA, I have a choice which one I chose to attend. I go to both, but my primary program is NA! Why? Because alcohol is a drug PERIOD!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to see ya Jessieblues.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blake
I tried both AA and NA, and NA feels like my house, AA feels like I'm visiting in-laws.
Couldn't help but chuckle bro...

and I usually find a chucnk of gratitude in a smile..

my first thought was "better than visiting Outlaws"

and my 2nd one was" Nice to be welcome at the inlaws place eh?"

there was a time when nobody wanted me around rifling through their house, stumbling about, and yakking on the pets.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
Being in NA and AA, I have a choice which one I chose to attend. I go to both, but my primary program is NA! Why? Because alcohol is a drug PERIOD!

Broccoli's a vegetable dude.

Tomatoes.... well I think they are veggies but some insist that they are fruit.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Alera - Another addition to this poll that I would like to see is the relapse rate
with the programs of choice..can you do two on one poll ?? I don't even know how to do a poll

ie: have you ever relapsed with this choice of recovery ??
If so? number of times ???
Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Gooch

Broccoli's a vegetable dude.

Tomatoes.... well I think they are veggies but some insist that they are fruit.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upanddownjj
Alera - Another addition to this poll that I would like to see is the relapse rate
with the programs of choice..can you do two on one poll ?? I don't even know how to do a poll

ie: have you ever relapsed with this choice of recovery ??
If so? number of times ???
Does this matter?

Anyway, my program would be SMART Recovery. Oh and I had two minor slips while being in recovery and SMART helped me deal.

Marte
Old 08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
Does this matter?

Anyway, my program would be SMART Recovery. Oh and I had two minor slips while being in recovery and SMART helped me deal.

Marte
Same here. I full blown relapsed in NA but I had a small slip and dealt with it in SMART. I think it just depends on which program speaks to each of us as an individual.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I agree - whichever works for the individual
Old 08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Wink

I can tell you the reason that I relapsed is because of several reasons....

1. I am a addict and that is what we do!

2. I could talk the talk but not walk the walk!

3. In NA Basic Text it says we have never seen anyone relapse who has lived the NA WAY! I was doing it my way.

4. In order for me to live the NA Way that means that I live the book not just talk it.

(Such as, you can be high when you get here but we suggest that you keep coming back and come back clean!)

(Just For Today, YOU NEVER have to use again!)

I was only living what I wanted to live, in order to stay clean I have to do as the book says in all areas of my life.

HOW

Honesty, Open-Mindedness, and Willingness with these we are well on our way.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE