Notices
View Poll Results: What is your program of choice?
Primarily NA
19.70%
Primarily AA
27.27%
SMART Recovery
10.61%
RR/SOS/LifeRing
3.03%
Program not in poll
9.09%
No program
30.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

What is your recovery?

Old 08-13-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Broccoli's a vegetable dude.

Tomatoes.... well I think they are veggies but some insist that they are fruit.
Good point Gooch, I've heard people say that nicotine and cafeinne are a drug too.

That's the great thing about America, we are all entitled to our beliefs! :-)
Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

One time we had a speaker come from far away to speak last year at our 1 year NA celebration, He was in the Program and had attended both during his 35 years of clean time. I knew him before I got in the Program and he would always ask me how I was doing. Well it depended on whether I was using or not. Anyways he said something that stuck with me that night "If you are an alcoholic, you're an addict, and if you're an addict you're an alcoholic because you do it for the same reason to escape reality." Isn't that the truth we used because we could never live life of life's terms, we used for every reason just because we like the effect.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Originally Posted by luckyv2
"If you are an alcoholic, you're an addict, and if you're an addict you're an alcoholic because you do it for the same reason to escape reality."
I'd have to agree and disagree with that Vic. Yes all alcoholics are addicts, but not all addicts are alcoholics....but I guess that's why I love NA, the term addict is all inclusive. Kinda like how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Some thoughts

I have often wondered about the little things that persuade people to think that this is better than that. For instance, if someone likes AA over NA because of the experience they had at the meeting, chances are you could switch the signs on the door and they would switch what they like. I think the people at the meeting(s) played a big part for me. I rarely ever drank alcohol, but liked AA meetings for a short spell because of the people there. It ran its course and then I finally discovered an NA meeting in a particular community that I liked because of the group of people. I liked feeling comfortable with who I was talking with. That mattered to me. I received my sixth month tag in October of 2004 and decided that night would be my last meeting, that I was going to venture off and continue my recovery investing my time in my life. I do not agree with the 12 step program, but I agree with everything about people getting together and helping each other stay clean. AA and NA helped me with that at a very crucial time in my recovery. I'm sure at some point I will even go back.

This site has been great at helping me remember why I am doing what I am doing in my life to stay clean. Just after a week or two here I am very pleasantlt surprised how wonderful this site is.

Sorry if this was a little lengthy.

Be Good, Bobby
Old 08-15-2006, 07:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Bobby, there AA and NA a quite different programs. I could walk into an AA or NA meeting and be able to tell you which is which.

THe main difference is that AA's first step is "we admitted we were powereless over alcohol and out lives had become unmanagable" NA's first step is "we admitted we were powerless over our addiction and our lives had become unmanagable" They look very similar but with the change of that one word, it makes them completely different. In NA I am taught that I am not powerless over what ever my drug of choice was, in fact I am very powerful over that, I have the power to put it in my body or not to. What I am powerless over the fact that I have disease of addiction, which is the thought to go use (or just the general thought that something outside of myself is going to fix me) I cant stop those thought from comming, but I can shortcircut my behavior so that I don't have to act on them.

NA is all inclusive, AA is there for people to talk about there problems with alcohol. In NA a drug is a drug is a drug and the only way to be clean, is complete abstinance from all drugs. In AA sobriety is defined as freedom from alcohol, and some misguided people use that definition to justify being sober and continuing to eat pain pills or smoke pot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking AA. I am very greatful for AA, without AA there would be no NA and I'd probably be still loaded or dead. If I believed that my problem was Alcohol, I'd go to AA, that is what they do and they are very good at it. I just believe that my drug use was just a symptom of my disease and the longer I stay clean the more I realize that dealing with the drugs was just scratching the surface.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

I personaly Belong in NA, like has been said its like my house...!

I dont belive in jesus..? but a power greater than me there are many...! I belive in. Like taoisum...! which give you those bigger answers on reality...!

Just my opinion, but as im still on subs ..ect.. i understand why NA, can be Hostile towards me. But despite that its still where i belong.

... 'No more the fool'...! ... for today ...?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

SoberRecovery has been our (my wife and I) only program. Reading your own life story, being lived by others, was a very powerful thing.

It worked for us and may not work for you.

Follow whatever program that helps you get and stay clean.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gooch

Broccoli's a vegetable dude.

Tomatoes.... well I think they are veggies but some insist that they are fruit.
The tomato is a fruit that is used as a vegetable.
The Supreme Court ruled in the early 1900's that it was to be considered a vegetable for tax purposes, as at that time imported vegetables were taxed at a lower rate than imported fruits (most tomatoes were imported then).

Confused? We eat lots of weird plant parts as vegetables: the artichoke is a flower bud, kohlrabi is an enlarged stem. So the term 'vegetable' really refers to how we eat something, and the narrower term 'leafy vegetable' is used for things used as greens or salads. Other fruits that are used as vegetables include summer squash such as zucchini, and the tomato cousins peppers and eggplants.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Don S
The Supreme Court ruled in the early 1900's that it was to be considered a vegetable for tax purposes, as at that time imported vegetables were taxed at a lower rate than imported fruits (most tomatoes were imported then).
Nix vs Hedden. Can you find the Pre-Law student in the room?

Botanically speaking, tomatoes are the fruit of a vine, just as are cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas. But in the common language of the people, whether sellers or consumers of provisions, all these are vegetables which are grown in kitchen gardens, and which, whether eaten cooked or raw, are, like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, and lettuce, usually served at dinner in, with, or after the soup, fish, or meats which constitute the principal part of the repast, and not, like fruits generally, as dessert.

Okay, back on topic here. Personally, when I was working the steps I found an AA group more helpful than NA. I agree with Blake they are very different.

This one group was made up of oldtimers who only went to this one group. By old-timers, I don't mean "winners" in the AA sense, but people who have been sober for a while, most middle aged businessmen etc.

It was more of a early-morning daily check-in than a traditional AA meeting, and the emphasis was on "What are we doing today, how are we going to face it" than talking about alcohol, drunkalogs, and so on. The emphasis was on tools, not drinking. The only reason I stopped going was it is at 6:30 in the morning, and my current work keeps me up late.

The basic format was the same as any AA group, then for the body of the meeting we would each share and then they would read from the daily inspiration book (can't think of the name offhand) and we would discuss that. Some crosstalk was allowed as long as it didn't get out of hand. Experiences, fears, and acomplishments were shared (most non alcohol related).
Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

No program here...i just do what i want mostly, what i need sometimes and dont use.

Regarding recovery programmes i subscribe to school of thought that says 'hey, whatever works for you man'.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Blake I agree with your point

You are correct, they are not the same animal. That wasn't what I intended to imply. There are however, similarities between the two. But even that has little to do with the ultimate point I wanted to make.
I did speak rather generally, I suppose, as I attempted to make my point in my previous post on this thread. I just wanted to point out that the relationships people encounter at any meeting goes along way with how they determine if they like AA vs. NA.

But of course, this is what I have observed.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I use my own method, I'm a qualified therapist turned writer, it hurt too much counselling, too sensitive I suppose. So I sorted out a plan with my shrink and I not only don't drink, I stopped using and I have stopped smoking recently.

I think that whatever works best is the best program for that person. I would never try to change anyone's program of choice...rock on what works for you all.

hugs indigo

If it works for you, work for it.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have eneded up going to AA unless going to alanon. I just found it worked better for me although I can get bent if I think to much. I have issues with drugs for sure but booze was what was driving me most. havent used or drank for a while now.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hear both programs are great, and lifesavers to many people. I, unfortunately, do not have the courage to walk into one ~~ right yet anyway. So for now, doing it solo.
Thank God they are there for the people who need them though.
Krista
Old 09-02-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Thanks Alera, for the topic,...! as I had never heard of SMART before ...!

Since then, I have been looking at there tools n site for info in London,.. aswell.
Im finding it really intresting...!

Just started to download some tools... Its well worth a look...!!!

No doubt NA/AA saves lives,...Everyday...!

Ive got step work at home too, So a mix of them is quite a good way to look at your own addictions...! without certain contradictions...!

Anyway only my 2ps worth ...?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

I attend Celebrate Recovery, a christian based 12 step group.. It really has changed my life..

I also have attended NA and AA which I agree saves many lives!!, and I have always atended alot
of groups and treatments. I have attended IOP, and inpatient treatment a few times. I regularly attend dual diagnosis, and that also has realy helped me alot. I also attend therapy which is very helpful.

Thanks Alera..
Prayers,
Becky
Old 10-16-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK who voted in the poll and bumped this? LOL

Nice to see old threads but as most of these members have moved on I'll call it a day.

D