Notices

Educating kids about alcoholism/drug abuse

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Educating kids about alcoholism/drug abuse

Hi guys, i'm unsure where to post this so decided on a double post in both the alcoholism and the substance abuse forums. If this is a problem for the mods then please locate as you see fit.

I have started a project this year working with sixth formers (16/17 year olds) in a local boys grammar school about relevant human rights/local issues. The guys the last couple of weeks have been discussing what sort of project they'd like to do throughout the year and how they can make a difference either in their school, in their local community or even on a more general national level. We have a group of about 60 kids, great bunch of guys divided into about 10 different groups. Each group has to decide on a project to work on for the year.

One of the groups decided last week that they were going to tackle drug/alcohol abuse. As this is something that's close to my heart, because of my own past (although they don't know about that) i was really looking forward to what this particular group had in mind. I've come away today however quite disappointed in that they've changed their mind and now unsure what they want to do. This is the only group that looked at this, as others were looking at tackling other issues.

After talking to them their main concern was they didn't know how they could make a difference to someone who is an alcoholic/drug addict as there's so many services out that can be available. I could to a degree see where they were coming from, but i began suggesting that maybe they could do something with the younger kids in the school. They weren't really receptive on this and one of them even said that alcoholism is a choice and what can they do about that choice.

I want to go back to them next session with a load of ideas of what they could do along the lines of alcoholism/drug abuse. So is there any chance we can have a bit of a brainstorm here?

What would you suggest that a group of 16/17 year olds could do help to tacke alcohol/drug abuse issues? My personal opinion at the moment is maybe something along the lines of educating younger kids in the school or local community that may be affected by these issues.

Paul
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
One of the groups decided last week that they were going to tackle drug/alcohol abuse. As this is something that's close to my heart, because of my own past (although they don't know about that) i was really looking forward to what this particular group had in mind.
I'm curious why the issue of drug/alcohol addiction becomes the main topic yet you don't mention your past. Do you think it could somehow be a personal liability to reveal?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Because i'm in a classroom teaching role Melissa, it could have a negative impact for students to know too much personal information. I can however put my views across and share my knowledge on it, without necessarily telling them that i'm an alcoholic/addict.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not sure what is offered by the educational system. I grew up in the states during the 60's and 70's and there was a great deal of talk about drug use as it was the era of peace love and whatnot. I never started my addiction as a kid, mine developed in my 40's and I was never a drug user or a drinker in training. I suspect it has to do with genetics.
I know for myself in rehab that I truly appreciated hearing from people that had the problem and beat the problem. I never had the same trust or respect for counselors or folks that had no history with the issues. How could they possibly understand? What could they tell me about drugs and alcohol? If I was a 16 year old possibly I would want to hear from a recovered/recovering 16 year old on the issue, otherwise it's that same message heard over here in the 80's Just say no. If these kids wanted an education, possibly visiting open AA/NA meetings, jails, that sort of thing to see the end consequences or maybe sitting in on local court meetings that sentence drug and etoh users so they see what happens. Could you contact your local police dept or city hall about something they could show your kids? I think what they are attempting is admirable but they need as much education as they can get about these social issues. I hope this works for you guys, let us know how it goes, I'm interested.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Because i'm in a classroom teaching role Melissa, it could have a negative impact for students to know too much personal information. I can however put my views across and share my knowledge on it, without necessarily telling them that i'm an alcoholic/addict.
If you had cancer, and the topic was cancer, would you hesitate to reveal your battle?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can understand that some parents might not want a teacher that has a past. The world still has it's stigmas and labels and stereotypical thinking and the world doesn't have the education we have all had being immersed in our addictions. Some jobs still carry penalties for having a past.
Each person has to choose what's right for them whether to reveal or not to reveal past history of addiction. I don't have such an option because my history is on the net in a pdf file and will remain so as long as the net lives. I also feel for people trying to recover that have had their personal battles posted in newspapers, publicity rags, it makes it harder maybe for some it can add a layer of accountability. I think each person should have some choice on the matter but I'm getting off topic.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being a nurse, I can completely understand the professional boundaries you must uphold. When we have something in common with those in our "charge," we have a unique empathy we get to practice. But I agree that sharing personal information does cross a boundry.

There's also the anonymity thing that's unique to recovery.

I just want to give you big kudos for seeking all the avenues to help teach kids their power over drugs and alcohol in order to prevent drugs and alcohol from taking that power away from them. Just wish I had some ideas for you....
Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wonder if you, yourself could call some recovery centers or addiction focused therapists (who also know about adolescents) to see if they have any ideas?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Originally Posted by glitter View Post
There's also the anonymity thing that's unique to recovery.
Anonymity is a personal choice. There are those who are very open about their struggles and successes in addiction/recovery.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well...I posted a long And thoughtful post in the other section of this topic...which I will try and cut and paste here at a later time as I can't do it from my phone.

The point was...being spoken to by an addict, who happentd to bus wealthy, young and beautiful, when I was in HS scared the daylights out of keep and no matter how much I drank I never did drugs...therefore I think a similar program would be vital.

Especially since these kids seem to think alcoholism is a choice.

I respect your inability to speak to them about your personal experience...but you must know...orhbe able to find...someone who is young enough and hip enough to talk to these kids about the dangers of alcohol in a way that will resonate with them.

Personally I see a lot more youth programs aimed at drugs and not enougg aimed at booze.

Also...regarding drinking and driving...look up Safe Rides a program started in my town to deal with kids drinking and driving. It was started after alone to many kids was maimed or lost their life to it.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Paul,good post
education does little good I think
I was once involved with prevention programs among younger kids at our church.

One consideration would be for the class to study up on the best available prevention methods and procedures,and implement them with their volunteer efforts with younger kids,or have someone come and do it and they help.
One option is a possibly mentoring program for young boys who are at risk.Boys from a broken home,boys from homes with alcoholics/addicts in them, etc.
Prevention programs range from really good to not so good.There used to be plenty of free resources for those interested in starting up prevention programs.
I have found them to help and it takes a while for their minds to come around.It is not a short term answer.
First,it helps to define education vs prevention
we can educate younger ones but that does not really help the underlying causes and conditions of why they drink or drug.Prevention programs address the underlying causes and conditions and move their minds out of those conditions,or change their thinking for the better.

good luck with your class!
if I can add more info,let me know please

tommy