Notices

Methadone maintenance while pregnant?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Methadone maintenance while pregnant?

Hi, all!

I've been a longtime SR lurker, but today I gained the courage to create that account and finally post something.

So...

About a week ago, my suspicions of pregnancy were confirmed, and I found out that I am currently expecting, and I am about 9 weeks along. However, I am currently still using IV heroin daily, and I didn't tell my OB at our first appointment. As you can imagine, I am overwhelmed, and was faced with quite a few nagging decisions. I have since decided that this is a blessing in disguise, and I will do whatever I can to deliver a healthy child.

I have been in contact with several rehab facilities across the country, as well as a few doctors in my area. All of the rehab facilities told me to continue using - that detoxing was extremely risky to the fetus. The local doctors all recommended methadone maintenance. One rehab in California said they will take me in and detox me immediately, but I am a bit suspicious as they are the most expensive facility I've called ($75k!!!)

So, I guess I'm looking for experiences. Has anyone been on Methadone while pregnant? How was it? Was the baby okay? I've been doing extensive reading on the subject, and methadone seems to be the safest way to go during a pregnancy.

As a side note, I cannot take buprenorphine. I am highly allergic.

Thanks all!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I am not experienced in this but saw you needed some support here. Could you get to any doctor (urgent care or primary) and come clean about using while pregnant and get your 1st recommendations from the doc? Sounds like you need some immediate medical intervention before researching rehabs and or start using again and forgetting why you came for support. The rest will follow. Stay strong and you can do this!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Starfish!! I'm glad you decided to post. I have no experience with Heroin/Methadone. However, my older AD is on Methadone and goes to one of the Methadone clinics that dose pregnant women. When I go with my daughter to get her a methadone dose (she WAS an ex heroin sniffer, casual iv user) I have noticed there are plenty of obviously showing pregnant gals getting their dose. I also observe many little ones running around having fun, also I have seen some really cute babies in the arms of the Methadone dosing woman.
I hope I have eased your weary mind some. Go see a Dr. that you trust and tell him/her everything. And I mean everything, don't hold back on your drug use, you are speaking for 2 now. Don't fear the judgement and please don't try to detox yourself. Please do this under medical supervision. Good luck honey, keep posting and let the others know what you have found out, perhaps this may help another young pregnant woman out if she finds herself in
Your situation. Oh, and congratulations on your upcoming baby! TF
Old 12-25-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Starfish

If you're not sure the advice you got was correct, it's very important for you and for bub that you get a professional second opinion to your question, I think.

D
Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for the support, it really means a lot to me. I'm not going to lie, I got a little teary eyed while reading your responses - blame the hormones!

Since I posted, I've made an appointment with my OB for next week. I've also spoken with two neonatologists from Boston who have lots of experience with babies born exposed to methadone. They both told me that methadone is the safest route when the mother is addicted to opiates; that methadone has been used with pregnant mothers since the 70's. They also explained that there is about a 50/50 chance of the baby experiencing withdrawal once s/he is born. If withdrawal were to happen, the baby would be monitored and given small doses of methadone, morphine, or phenobarbital - depending on the severity of the withdrawal process.

Doctors use what is called the Finnegan scale to assess babies exposed to narcotics in utero. It examines the babies CNS, metabolic system, and gastrointestinal system for signs of withdrawal.

After my OB appointment Monday, my next step will be finding and getting into a local methadone clinic. Hopefully my gynecologist is understanding and willing to help. Though I've been seeing her since high school, (and also worked in her office for a year and a half) she is from Chinese descent, and seems very old-school in her beliefs and practices.

However, if she isn't willing to help me, it's time to find a new GYN!

Thanks again 2b, twofish, and dee! <3
Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just thought I would check in and see how you were holding up...I am also pg. But on the subutex. .. any updates?