View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
starfish401

Arrow Methadone maintenance while pregnant?

Hi, all!

I've been a longtime SR lurker, but today I gained the courage to create that account and finally post something.

So...

About a week ago, my suspicions of pregnancy were confirmed, and I found out that I am currently expecting, and I am about 9 weeks along. However, I am currently still using IV heroin daily, and I didn't tell my OB at our first appointment. As you can imagine, I am overwhelmed, and was faced with quite a few nagging decisions. I have since decided that this is a blessing in disguise, and I will do whatever I can to deliver a healthy child.

I have been in contact with several rehab facilities across the country, as well as a few doctors in my area. All of the rehab facilities told me to continue using - that detoxing was extremely risky to the fetus. The local doctors all recommended methadone maintenance. One rehab in California said they will take me in and detox me immediately, but I am a bit suspicious as they are the most expensive facility I've called ($75k!!!)

So, I guess I'm looking for experiences. Has anyone been on Methadone while pregnant? How was it? Was the baby okay? I've been doing extensive reading on the subject, and methadone seems to be the safest way to go during a pregnancy.

As a side note, I cannot take buprenorphine. I am highly allergic.

Thanks all!