Notices

Beginning my taper

Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

CleaninLI, just wanted to pop in and root you on. I totally understand what you mean about switching DOCs, I'm the same way. I hope you get through the next few days okay.
Prayers and hugs!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you fancy my Dear friend. Your support always means alot to me! I'm really not feeling too bad. I think I'm finally feeling the lower dose a little bit. Nothing like complete withdrawal. Didn't sleep too well last night so I took an hour nap this afternoon while the kids were at school. Just woke up a little shaky, cold and slightly nauseous. I've probably reached the end of the half-life of the higher amount. Idk if that makes sense.

Mk does that mean my receptors are not completely filled? Oh well, it's nothing like full blown withdrawal but it reminds me just how powerful this med is. Hoping it doesn't get worse.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Clean, I always roam around on the forums and very much enjoy your words and support. My AD wants to go on Suboxone and stop the Methadone. It's getting too difficult in this Wisconsin weather to moped at 5:30am everyday to get the dose. Do you recommend this? My younger AD went ct off heroin, that was tough, but she did it. About you, sorry, I got off track, I also agree that this is just a bump in the road for you. You seem so strong and determined to be sober that I have tremendous amounts of hope and respect for you. Thanks for helping us, your SR family. My husband too started on the "you're addicted to SR..." I quickly told him this was my life line of support and education, he quickly shut up, newbies, arn't we dumb! Anyways, as far as I know from my recovering kids, breathe, fight the beast, keep busy, gently, and take care of yourself. That is what is important right now. My thoughts are with you today and always! TF
Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you twofish for stopping by and giving me your support! I have been following your thread too. I have a daughter (oldest) who, in my opinion, parties a little too hearty. She also graduated from the infamous University of Wisconsin, Madison. She's married has a son (grandchild #1) with a great job but still I worry. Her DOC is alcohol. So far it has not interfered in her life but I know first hand how quickly things can change.

Well, you probably already know that sub has saved my life and I highly recommend it for those who just can't stay clean and need a little extra support to get their life in order. I do not recommend it without seriously working a recovery program. (IOP or NA/AA meetings, therapist, other non-step programs) It should be used as a tool only. I don't have any experience with methadone. So I cannot make an honest comparison. I think someone like Marcus would be better at that than me.

In the beginning the sub doctor usually prescribes the med on a weekly or bimonthly basis to see how the patient is adjusting and I'm sure to ensure that it's being used appropriately. After a couple of months the doctor will switch to monthly scripts. This might not be true for every doctor but it was for me. The good thing is that there is a coupon available for a free copay every month which makes the sub free for those insured.

The one thing that you should be concerned about is the possibility of her abusing the med or not taking it as prescribed. There is much more freedom with sub and someone who is not completely ready for recovery could use it as a cushion in between Herion runs to keep from avoiding WD. It's also easy to become addicted to. I hadn't realized it until it happened to me. I'm not saying that it will happen to your daughter. The thing is my husband/family are very involved in my recovery. Since you probably already read, I've handed my script over to my husband to dole out my doses. I'm not saying you should do that since it probably goes against the F&F side of this forum and falls into codependency but it works well for me. There was I time when I was doing it myself but then I started slipping and I realized this is the safest way to go for a while. Hopefully it won't be nessisary for a long time. I've noticed that good communication with my family, doctor, and counselor are crucial in taming this beast and getting back on track. Prayers going out to you and your daughters!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey, Clean. I googled Suboxone taper today and found a really good taper plan starting at 2 mg when you get there. I know it'll be tough but from what I read, your opiate receptors should be almost completely filled at even that low dose, but obv listen to your body and take it as slow as you need to. I think the taper is the 3rd down maybe but it goes by mg's per day and the op was given the taper by a doctor. According to the post, he had been abusing meds for a few years and been on sub for a year. He experience some anxiety and mild insomnia. I'm gonna use this taper and I'll let you know how it goes for future reference! Good luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info noelle, I will check it out. Yes I was a little concerned for you when you mentioned you would be jumping from 2 mgs. I've read too many story's about WD kicking in after 2 mgs. I like that you are tapering a little further. I haven't seen that site but did read somewhere that skipping days also helps when you get down so low and have trouble working with those tiny pieces of strips. I guess it can be really tricky cutting those tiny pieces. I wish you well and hope you are so successful that you can avoid WD altogether.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think you will be ok, Clean. You have a great attitude.

I'm not really all that tough. I just didn't have a choice
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi clean! Havent been on much in last couple of days and didnt realize your struggles. Hope you are feeling ok today with the lower dose. You should realize too how lucky you are to have such an understanding family to help you thru the highs and lows of this, many of us dont. I sometimes wish someone would just ask how I was doing today, but o well.

Just letting you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there my friend!!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Lover of the Light

Hey clean, just wondering how your body is adjusting at 4mg? I found the jumps down from 6 to 2mg were the easiest. The best advice I received was to let my body adjust to the new dose before dropping again. This may be 4 days for one jump, up to 10+ days as I got below 2mg. I got good at looking inward and feeling if my body had adjusted and lowering the very next day. This served me especially well as I tapered down below 2mg.
Very proud of you!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You're welcome! I hope you're doing well
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Thanks for your wonderful support! You have no idea how much this means to me! TE I understand about not having a choice. I don't really have much of a choice either unless I want to loose everyone who is near and dear to me in my life. Then where would I be? A sad lonely old women sitting in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere? I'd be too poor to even purchase pills! Not exactly how I envisioned the end of my life to be like.

Thank you joker! You are right my family loves me too much! More reason to stay on track and not let this beast push me off. You have us jokr! So, how are you doing today? I hope you are good! Have you ever had any problems like I'm having with the sub?

Open I'm doing good! The only discomfort I'm having is a little Dizziness, fatigue, aches and pains in my legs, slightly nauseous, and a little cold. Very mild though. Nothing like full WD!

Thanks again for all your support!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Clean,

I had to come and look for you - missed your updates today, so Im just here to add my support. Feel better soon.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey cleanin! Hope your day was good, and tomorrow is better. Yea, I have been good. Im down to 2mg a day. Also I got the link for the 2mg taper from Noelle and starting that in the next couple of days.

And to answer your question, yes, I take an extra now and then. Havent so much lately. I seem to feel better the less I take.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Allforcnm, thanks for looking for me! I appreciate that! You are always so supportive of everyone! I wasn't able to spend much time here on SR yesterday. I had a lot of trouble logging in. I though it was my internet connection, but it was strange that I had no trouble with Facebook or my email. My kids even went on u-tube so I'm not sure why SR would not load. Anyone else have a problem?

Joker, that's great to see that you are already down to 2mgs. You had mentioned that you were beginning to taper, but didn't realize you had come so far. That's great! I'm glad you are feeling much better on the lower dose! In some ways I am feeling better too. I definitely feel more clear headed and less drugged on 4mgs. Noelle found a very good taper plan.😊
Are you still working a lot?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Lover of the Light

Hey clean, I'm so glad 4mg is comfy for you. Try and really pay attention to that moment when you feel even and comfortable on that dose. I love watching your progress it's awesome! Getting off sub. was the crowning achievment of my addiction. LOL, don't get me wrong this last detox was no cakewalk but the long drawn out taper and withdrawals tested me in ways I can't describe. I'm just so proud I did that. You can too!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes open I will try hard for that! That's great that you were successful!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Clean. You OWN this addiction. You paid off the mortgage and have the title. Nono. You are not a slave to it. YOU are in power and it is time to evict that SOB to the curb.

Well done sweety. Well done.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Lol Thanks for the pep talk mk! That's a very good way of looking at this! You are right I will not be a slave to this sob!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So cleanin, are you still on 4mg a day, and if so hows that working for you? Im stuck on 2 still.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jokerz4u View Post
So cleanin, are you still on 4mg a day, and if so hows that working for you? Im stuck on 2 still.
Jokerz we know everyone is different but for what it is worth my wife & I started the Subs program a week apart , tapered at the same rate and wanted to stop at the same time , so she jumped @ 1mg per day after being there for a week & I jumped @ 2mg , we both had the same WD's neither of us worst than the other. They lasted the same length of time and both doing great now. Could of it been part mental because we are husband & wife living in the same house & sleeping in the same bed ???

Day 1 & 2 not that bad
Day 3 yucks
Day 4 & 5 wanted to give up
Day 6 felt much better
Night 6 finally slept 4 straight hours
Day 7 went back to work and did just fine
After day 7 No or no real noticeable feelings with one exception
It took 3-weks beofre I could get 8 hours of sleep with out taking any sleeping pills just Melatonin

Good luck to all