Notices

Methadone treatment

Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone treatment

Hello everyone,

My AB is looking today to get into methadone treatment. He's met the doctor and is getting the blood work done today. He believe he's needs this to stay off other opiates and be able to function without pain from day to day. Can some of you please fill me in on what you know about methadone treatments? Like, is it safe, can it be used long term, is there a good chance of relapsing while on methadone, what happens if you do relaspe while on methadone costs...anything. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just wanted to give you a little information in regards to methadone. It is a very old drug and it is very safe, as long as you keep a couple things in mind. The most important thing of all, is not to mix methadone with other drugs. Your AB boyfriend will also want to take it slow while he is working his way up to the correct dosage. I am in North Carolina and my weekly cost is $84.00, that is at a private clinic. The public clinic is much cheaper. But, there is way too much drug dealing and drama there, it is also much harder to obtain take outs. I have been on the clinic for 16 months and I only have to go to the clinic once a week. You have to work for your take outs, with clean drug test, going to group and keeping your account current. You asked what happens if you relapse on methadone. You are placing yourself in grave danger of OD'ing. But, if you are on the correct blocking dose of methadone you can not catch a buzz. The methadone should block the effects of all opiates. I hope this information helps. If you think of a specific question, let me now.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey nohopeindope,

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate it He started today and I just talked to him and he's feeling a little crappy and tired. I figure it's gonna take his body a little while to get used to. They are starting him on small doses and bumping him up every couple days. He had to be checked out and a doctor is monitoring him while he begins this so that makes me feel better. But it is good to hear that methadone can block the effects of opiates. I didn't know that. And I would think it wouldn't be a good idea to mix anything with it.
Do you like it? Does it help you out? I'm aware this may be (not sure yet) a long term treatment for him. But if it can help then I support him in his decision. Thanks again for sharing and let me know how it works for you, if that's ok
Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by Hope87 View Post
it is good to hear that methadone can block the effects of opiates. I didn't know that. And I would think it wouldn't be a good idea to mix anything with it.
It can block the effects of opiates in higher doses, but from experience I'll say that lower doses don't do the same job. Some people will still try using even if they're taking Methadone. Just something to keep in mind just in case. In the meantime, the fact that your bf is seeking help is a good thing. I wish both of you tons of luck.

Have you also checked out the Friends and Family part of this site? Might be a good place for you too!

:hugs:
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Steps

Thanks for the info. Yeah, he just started so I believe he's getting 40ml (or whatever it's measured in). They give him 30 at first see how that goes over with him then later, in the same day, they give him another 10. I guess every few days they bump him up more but before that he has to see their counselor. I guess it's going to be a little bit before he's up to what is really going to work for him. So I hope this whole thing works for him too. There's many reasons I can stand behind this...it's just street drugs..shooting up...yeah, that's just not going to work if we are going to be together. He's got us in somewhat of a financial bind from all of it but if the methadone treatments are going to help (not that that's cheap either) then we can start from scratch and see where this goes. I atleast look at is as a step in the right direction, we just gotta see if works out.
Yeah, I go on the friends and family section too. I mention this to all them and told them what's been going on the past 2 weeks and they still give me hell. Maybe I'm in the wrong, maybe this isn't going to work...I don't know. All I can do is see how things go from day to day and pay to pay and if it doesn't get better or I begin to see things going back to the way they were, then I know the option of leaving has to be there. As for now, I'm waiting to see if things get back to normal. I know it may take a while, but I need that time to see how it works.
Thanks for the support! I hope we can work through this too. Only time will tell. Take care and have a good one!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
reach out and give

Originally Posted by Hope87 View Post
Hello everyone,

My AB is looking today to get into methadone treatment. He's met the doctor and is getting the blood work done today. He believe he's needs this to stay off other opiates and be able to function without pain from day to day. Can some of you please fill me in on what you know about methadone treatments? Like, is it safe, can it be used long term, is there a good chance of relapsing while on methadone, what happens if you do relaspe while on methadone costs...anything. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one!
I have been a successful methadone maintenance client for the past 17 years. Age 10 was my start of using/abusing anything I could shoot, snort, swallow or smoke; I am 52 now, and first began methadone maintenance at age 35. Methadone maintenance has allowed me to become free from narcotics of all types. It is important that the dosage level not only be high enough to control the physical urges, but it must also be enough to quiet the psychological drive. Once my dosage was stabilized at 85mgs, I haven't needed an increase in 4/5 years. That, and working a sincere recovery program, has helped me as nothing else has or could. I have relapsed only once during my early stages of treatment; but relapse is no reason to quit, only a learning experience to be used for a renewed recovery. There is no easy recovery program, but methadone will work if you want it to. I hope this helps a little. I am happy to be of any assistance you or your boyfriend may need. Please feel free to contact me at anytime. Good Luck to You Both! My heart and thoughts are with you.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,

I'm glad your bf got on to the methadone program. It'll take away a lot of the stress from both your lives. I see you've already got some great info from the others too.

What I'd like mention is that after being on methadone for 25 years ( my husband for 27) I don't belive it should be used as a way of life. It's meant to help addicts get over their initial fixation with other drugs, get their lives together then reduce and go about life drug free. But many people, me included take it long past it's use by date and spend a quarter of their life tied to a clinic, despensing staff and drs, all who have the power to make decisions about your life , for you. Believe me, it gets old and that was the main reason I reduced and got clean almost 4 years ago. ( hubby's 9 months clean this month and doing brilliantly.)

I hope this doesn't sound like a downer when he's so new to the program. I just wanted you ( him) to be aware that methadone is not a lifestyle.

Another thing I noticed over the years is the propensity for alcohol many, not all, methadone clients can get. I ended up with dual addictions so tell him to be careful about that.

All the best in your new life.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's good to hear that you're being supportive, so many people (Americans especially) are dead-set against Methadone/Suboxone despite it's success. I hope it works well for him.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello,

My brother is currently on Methadone and attempting to lower his dosage. Despite he lying about what MGs he was on, he is now very much in the thought process that he cannot live without the drug. Please be careful, I agree with citychick it is NOT a lifestyle. It can be used to help the addict for a time. In the end no drugs should be used that could be abused. That's my thoughts, and the clinic can be a depressing place at times where proper care is not always advised.

I pray that everything goes well, some can live healthly with the methadone and others should do better without.

God Bless.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hypercube

I was on the methadone program for 5 years, but only spent 3 of those years committed to recovery. The first 2 years (and before) I used methadone (and everything else) to get high and injected my take home doses (nasty).

It does make recovery easier to manage in the sense that you have your physical addiction taken care of, however all the other stuff that goes along with addiction still needs to be addressed too. Methadone is a maintenance program. It's a tough drug to be rid of once you start and it has a long half-life in the body, which draws out the withdrawal process.

In my experience methadone can still be abused, it's no easy fix, it's hard to get off and is best combined with therapy and some type of supportive treatment program.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hypercube

Just a quick correction: I'm getting my dates mixed up. I did the math and I was only on the methadone program for 3 years, but abused it and morphine prior. My memory is very bad and I have massive problems recalling dates (I had to pull out my uni transcripts to work out the time-frame).

I know this thread is quiet now, but I didn't want my post to be misleading. I hope your brother is doing well.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been on methadone for about 3 yrs and am in process of tapering down..Currently I am on 58mgs but had gotten as much as 150mgs at one point..I know I could not have got sober without it..The pain of withdrawal from opiates was just to much for me..As for wether someone will relapse or not while on methadone, it all depends on the person..Some may try to get high but if the meth dose is right it just won't happen..It's a waste of money to even try...
Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I've been in a Methadone Maintence Treatment Program for over 4 years now and for me, it's part of the equation that saved my life. I used for 32 years, bounced in and out of treatment for 25 of those years. I'd be able to stay clean for different periods of time, but would always relapse.

Methadone alone, IMO, is not enough to keep someone clean and sober. It's like part of the recipe that finally has enabled me to not touch any other mood altering chemical since July of 2005. You mentioned a Counselor at the Clinic he goes to, which is good. Many Clinics don't require that you see your Counselor on a regular basis. I hope groups are also required there as well. I feel that NA/AA Meetings on a daily basis were just as important to my Recovery as the Methadone was during the first year of my Recovery. I got a Sponsor and worked the Steps honestly. I also found a God of my understanding which I think is the most important part of my Recovery.

Methadone is not a guarantee that he won't pick up. If he's on the proper maintenance dose, he will not have any physical cravings but he could still work himself into mentally craving if he sits and thinks about using. And as someone else said, the correct dose will block the effects of other opiates. The scary part about this is when someone will use the amt they normally did, not get high, so they use more, still not high and to the point that they OD. Just because you don't get the physical high doesn't meant that you can't OD. Our bodies can only take so much.

I truly hope this is the beginning of a new life for him without drugs. My life is completely different than it was before. I've learned how to handle those situations that I used to think I had to use over. I've had many things happen to me since I've been in Recovery. I've lost both of my parents, I have chronic pain conditions and at this moment, I am sitting here with multiple fractures in my pelvis and a fractured hip that I don't know when it broke. I've been walking around like this, thinking it was part of my normal pain. Throughout all of this, I have learned that I cannot numb everything that I don't want to feel, whether it be physical or emotinal pain.

I would like to just pass these few things on as suggestions to how you can help and be supportive to him. Remember, this is his Recovery, not yours. I highly encourage you to go to Naranon or Alanon Meetings for your Recovery. No, you're not the addict, but the addicts life has affected your life. If perhaps he does use, don't let any of the blame fall on your shoulders. Just like you can't keep him clean, you can't be responsible if he does use. It's his disease, not yours.

Good luck to the both of you and God Bless.

Judy
Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I see someone picked up this thread recently and I am a new member here....

My ABF is also new to the Methadone maintenance program and it has been a bit of a ride, and QUITE a learning experience (in a good way)

Wonder how Hope87 is doing these days and also wanted to say this:
It might feel like those on the family/friends forum are giving you hell, but I believe they do so out of caring and respect for the process. Sometimes (for me) it's that I don't wanna hear what is being said. But I DO listen, and sometimes actually hear.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i totally agree with u that meths aint a life ive bein on it 3 year now just getting off mein just now at 2mls a fortnight and i know its gonna be hard and still abit scared of kicking that last crutch away but i know its the only way to live just looking to talk with other addicts to talk with and am new to this site
Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Methadone

Well hope,
I can only speak from experience and my experience with methadone has been bad.
I initially got on methadone in 1967 at the age of 17. At the time it was hailed as a wonder drug (much like suboxone) and the courts were madating people left and right. I got off the clinic on a visit to Vermont where they detoxed me with morphine. Now go from 1967 to 2009. I just got off the clinic again, the last time was 10 years ago. Everytime I get off the clinic I crave methadone. It was, for me, my drug of choice and I abused it. In addition to methadone, and every patient will tell you this, are the Benzos. They can be abused easily and the clinic really doesn't care IF you bring in a Rx. So while my Dr was writing 1/2mg 3X daily I was buying as much as 10x that amount! I ended up buying extra meth so I wouldn't show any red flags at the clinic and eventually I lost everything. My car, condo, job and almost my loved ones. I don't mean to throw a towel on you or your boyfriend but Meth is Dangerous. I lost every tooth in my head due to Meth depleting the system of calcium, my back has suffered FIVE herniated discs and my bones have become brittle. At the age of 59 I can no longer stay on the Damn clinic and the traveling back and forth with my back in this condition can no longer be tolerated. Just a few words of caution, take the lowest dose you can and when it's served it's purpose kick it to the gutter where it belongs! It is no WONDER DRUG.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SerenityQueen

And this to Judy, Serenityqueen: Do you ever think it might be the soul numbing effect of the Methadone that is responsible for you not knowing when and where you broke you Pelvis. I know one thing for certain, when on ANY dose of Meth, even the relatively low dose of 30 mgs a person is stoned. Maybe they don't feel it, but others will attest to it. You take that morning dose and sit with your coffee til the warm feeling comes to you? No? Then I must have been on a different kind of Methadone. Damn, and I was so serene myself while on 160mgs and 12 xanax even a fire couldn't wake me.
Best of Luck
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The Many Bad Things About Methadone

And do remeber this,methadone will not block the effects of:
Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Benzodiazapines, barbiturates, LSD, Mescaline, Crack etc. It has the opposite effect making all CNS depressants more powerful and producing a Euphoric effect with any and all of them. So while you come onto the clinic with a Heroine, morphine or Demerol addiction you just might find some new drugs which you ignorned but once on Meth, they have a more powerful effect. This probably sounds like I'm trashing the Methadone clinic, and I am, but a small percentage DO make it work for them.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

At 55 years OLD, A GIFT FROM THE METH CLINIC

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post

I have chronic pain conditions and at this moment, I am sitting here with multiple fractures in my pelvis and a fractured hip that I don't know when it broke. I've been walking around like this, thinking it was part of my normal pain. Throughout all of this, I have learned that I cannot numb everything that I don't want to feel,

Good luck to the both of you and God Bless.

Judy
One morning I woke up to the alarm clock and when I tried to get up to make coffee I found I could not walk. My God am I paralysed? I thought. No, I wasn't paralysed, what it was, was I had been so numb from the years on Methadone I had not felt any warning signs that one by one, my discs, those little pads that cushion each vertabrae in your spine, had been busted open and all the jel inside had leaked out. I went to nuerologists, omitting that I was on a Methadone clinic, because of the Stigma and fear that my Boss would find out, and they gave me Painkillers. Never one to turn down an opiate, I knew I would not feel them so I took Ten Times the dose reccomended. But the REASON my bones were disintegrating never occurred to me. The Drs couldn't believe how bad I was, bent over at a 90 degree angle and papered me with Painkillers of all types, which, being a good patient I brought to the clinic. The clinic after seeing me and the MRI I brought gave me 2 weeks off and then an abbreviated schedule. NOBODY, not the nurses or the meth doctor, MENTIONED THAT IT MIGHT BE THE METHADONE! I was oblivious, and in that condition I continued to try and get to work. I would not go on disability and I told The asst CEO, fire me and give me unemployment. Which they were more than happy to do since I was to be vested that year and would recieve a pension from them.
It sounds like a more radical case of Judy's, who sits with broken pelvis and fractured Hip et al but doesn't know where she broke it!
Methadone is Bad news and more of a danger than is advertised. BE VERY WARY!
It is also one of the longest lasting narcotics made and very difficult to Kick!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience Freddie.

Nevertheless, my time here tells me Methadone seems to work for a lot of our members.

I encourage anyone with queries or concerns to speak with their prescribing doctor or medical contact.

D