View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blondeina
reach out and give

Originally Posted by Hope87 View Post
Hello everyone,

My AB is looking today to get into methadone treatment. He's met the doctor and is getting the blood work done today. He believe he's needs this to stay off other opiates and be able to function without pain from day to day. Can some of you please fill me in on what you know about methadone treatments? Like, is it safe, can it be used long term, is there a good chance of relapsing while on methadone, what happens if you do relaspe while on methadone costs...anything. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one!
I have been a successful methadone maintenance client for the past 17 years. Age 10 was my start of using/abusing anything I could shoot, snort, swallow or smoke; I am 52 now, and first began methadone maintenance at age 35. Methadone maintenance has allowed me to become free from narcotics of all types. It is important that the dosage level not only be high enough to control the physical urges, but it must also be enough to quiet the psychological drive. Once my dosage was stabilized at 85mgs, I haven't needed an increase in 4/5 years. That, and working a sincere recovery program, has helped me as nothing else has or could. I have relapsed only once during my early stages of treatment; but relapse is no reason to quit, only a learning experience to be used for a renewed recovery. There is no easy recovery program, but methadone will work if you want it to. I hope this helps a little. I am happy to be of any assistance you or your boyfriend may need. Please feel free to contact me at anytime. Good Luck to You Both! My heart and thoughts are with you.