Notices

Methadone treatment

Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Apology

I want to apologize to the forum if my comments about Methadone Maintenence seemed too negative or if I offended anyone.
By way of explanation, I have had a lifelong struggle with MMTP clinics. To my way of thinking, the only thing the clinics did was to give me more Methadone and not attempt to address any of the underlying issues. I guess in my current state, being 4 weeks off the clinic, finally, I have to cast the MMTP in an extremely negative light in my own mind, so I never return there. I will die if I do.
Therefore, when I see somebody that is looking for hope in these clinics, I go overboard. As Dee74 has pointed out, Methadone Maintenence Treatment Programs do work for some people. I happen to be one person that it did not work for.
I am a drug addict with a disease that will not permit me to take that powerful, powerful narcotic. The take home Methadone I was given never lasted because when in the presence of these substances I have no control.
The first thing I did each morning as soon as I showered was look forward to those bottles in the fridge. I would sit in my apartment waiting for it to hit me so I could get dressed and go to work. As soon as I got home from work I would reward myself with a few Xanax, whose effect was magnified by the Meth coursing through my veins and I would have dinner. I was then in enough of a stupor to lay down and watch cable. Day after day, week after week, year after year I did this. It seems like a blur to me now. Never feeling the love my woman had for me or expressing properly the love I had for her. Feeling only a tithe of what I should have, I wasted precious time and spent my life waiting on the clinic to open. Until 4 weeks ago I was numb to most of what humans call LIFE.
So please understand where I'm coming from when I bash the MMTP.
Thank You
Freddie4621
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Be very careful when deciding to go on Methadone for pain relief. Yes is does help, BUT your dosage have to continue to rise as your body gains more tolerance to the drug. And from my experience with these pain clinics, they are just going to keep increasing your dosage to neutralize the pain. No thought what so ever about how much further deeper your body is becoming "depended" on the drug. And if you do decide the treatment, make absolute sure that they do NOT, schedule your appt's beyond 1 month. If you run out , God help you. This happened to me once and I didn't think I was going to make it..was a complete mess by the day of that next appointment...which was only like a day or maybe 2 over the 30 days but still..

I was up to 60mg a day before I said enough was enough....I could not even function period until I had a huge cup of coffee in the morning and had to have an energy drink in the afternoon to stay awake and be able to drive. There were times when I could feel my self dosing off at the wheel and almost either running into someone, or off the road. I would have to close my eyes at red lights..and being awoken by the person behind me as they were blowing their horns when the light turned green. I told the doctor about the very intense drowsiness and he prescribed me provagil. Which did help but caused bad headaches, and discontinued using it. And eventually the 60mg of Methadone a a day wasn't helping, so I was needing procedures on top of the medication.

Last fall, after noticing I couldn't even stay awake while giving my son a bath, I finally said enough was enough and I wanted off the medication. I'm down to 10mg a day now and hopefully by spring, will be off the medication for good.

I am still undecided as to what I am going to do to manage the pain after I give up the opiates....but now I realize that was NOT the answer and but unfortunately, I can't go back in time for the last 5 years that I spent my life in a blur. My marriage is virtually over and my wife told me over and over that the drug was changing me not for the better. I didn't listen and really at the time, all I cared about was avoiding the pain. Now I'm still in pain, addicted to opiates, separated from my wife...

I know that as they preach on this site, it is strictly between you and your doctor as far as if the drug is for you or not. Just take this as some pre cautions. Not by no means am I saying your experience will be the same. But I've read several testimonials on here that are very similar to mine...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My fiance overdosed on a mix of methadone which he purchased off the street, coke and his prescribed xanax, tramadol, antidepressant. Oh, and liquor. He may or may not have "forgot" about his prescription meds, and ingested methadone and a smidge of coke and died. Be sure that someone on your homefront is aware of any prescribed meds now and in the future.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile how long does it take to get your energy back

Originally Posted by citychick View Post
Hi Hope,

I'm glad your bf got on to the methadone program. It'll take away a lot of the stress from both your lives. I see you've already got some great info from the others too.

What I'd like mention is that after being on methadone for 25 years ( my husband for 27) I don't belive it should be used as a way of life. It's meant to help addicts get over their initial fixation with other drugs, get their lives together then reduce and go about life drug free. But many people, me included take it long past it's use by date and spend a quarter of their life tied to a clinic, despensing staff and drs, all who have the power to make decisions about your life , for you. Believe me, it gets old and that was the main reason I reduced and got clean almost 4 years ago. ( hubby's 9 months clean this month and doing brilliantly.)

I hope this doesn't sound like a downer when he's so new to the program. I just wanted you ( him) to be aware that methadone is not a lifestyle.

Another thing I noticed over the years is the propensity for alcohol many, not all, methadone clients can get. I ended up with dual addictions so tell him to be careful about that.

All the best in your new life.
hi thats brilliant news, im glad your both abstinante, ive been off methadone for 26 days now after 2 years on firstly 45ml then tapered to 20ml, only thing is i have no energy at all, i walk for about 15 minutes then back pain and leg pain kicks in, back being the reason i was given it in the first place, any tips for energy or idea how long i will feel like this
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can totally relate w/ the back and leg pain....I haven't completely tapered to 0 yet, just started from 7.5 to 5 mg a day about a week ago. But the cramps and pain have been severe for about 2 months now...I haven't decided to go on any comfort drugs like suboxone. But I do take some alieve @ night so the cramps don't keep me from getting sleep (most of the time, there are still some nights it's tough). I do walk my dog at night which seems to help keep the muscles in legs loose. The energy factor hasn't really hit me. I also have "direction" now and do alot of praying, which helps tremendously. Plus I have alot of other issues going on in my life right now so it's been a rough road......
Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh, almost forgot, the reason I have been able to maintain energy is b/c I have been taking vitamins and eating A LOT of fruit and veggies. From I've been told, it's best to take vitamins you can either chew or drink..guess b/c it's easier so your body doesn't have to break them down?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hi mcbob its hard to say how long it takes to get your energy back
but quit a long time for me'
but what i will say is you have to get used to phisicaly pushing your self
again without methadone b/c your brain isent used to doing enything withought it.
it was prity slow going for me' im in my 40is . and i think age maters a lot'
in how fast you recover
i used to do regulare 5 mile runs when on methadone 4 times a week'
3 monthes after quiting i started runing again' i could run 5 miles again within a week or so but it seemed a lot harder .but i think it was just b/c my head wasent numb from the methadone eny more .
my body could do the run but my mind would be telling me W.O.W this is hard.
I think thats becase my mind was finaly awake when runing and was aware
of the effort i was putting in .my head soon ajusted to this new situation
and runing is now a pleasure again.

wat im trying to say is its somtimes a phsychological ajustment more than a physical one.
good luck
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazz66 View Post
hi mcbob its hard to say how long it takes to get your energy back
but quit a long time for me'
but what i will say is you have to get used to phisicaly pushing your self
again without methadone b/c your brain isent used to doing enything withought it.
it was prity slow going for me' im in my 40is . and i think age maters a lot'
in how fast you recover
i used to do regulare 5 mile runs when on methadone 4 times a week'
3 monthes after quiting i started runing again' i could run 5 miles again within a week or so but it seemed a lot harder .but i think it was just b/c my head wasent numb from the methadone eny more .
my body could do the run but my mind would be telling me W.O.W this is hard.
I think thats becase my mind was finaly awake when runing and was aware
of the effort i was putting in .my head soon ajusted to this new situation
and runing is now a pleasure again.

wat im trying to say is its somtimes a phsychological ajustment more than a physical one.
good luck
how long would you say you got the energy to start running, i have been told maybe 2 months, is this about right.....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

unfortunatly it took me 3 monthes but if your young my be sooner
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazz66 View Post
unfortunatly it took me 3 monthes but if your young my be sooner
looking back i wasent eating that well or taking vitamins . like snowman said..
i have been doing for a few days now. and can feal the differance all ready.

this is what im taking but im not a docter but it seemz to help.glucosamine @ chondroitin for my aching joints .takes a bit to work. 2 weeks may be.
omega 3 fish oil. dont no what thay do but thay carnt hert.
broad spectrum amino acids for muscle growth or fuel
and milk thistle but thats becasue i have been a heavy drinker and it helps the liver .
the one thing im not taking is booze it makes you feal a lot worse
somtimes i dident think i could feal eny worse than i was all ready
but you deffinatly can when you add booze after detox.

this isent a recomendation its just what ive picked up on this web sit

read the threads there are a lot of people with much more smarts than me.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Friend

Snowman - i noticed you said you haven't been using any 'comfort' meds, ie suboxone. I'm not sure if it's just the choice of words-- but I wanted to warn you that in no way would suboxone be considered a 'comfort' medication used in Methadone detox!!! On the contrary, it is a partial opiate agonist medication itself. Some people do use suboxone to come off long-term methadone use, but you WILL STILL HAVE AN OPIATE DETOX coming off the Suboxone alone!!!! "Comfort" meds in an opiate detox are NON-NARCOTIC meds that ease the symptoms of w/d, i.e: Clondine, an antihypertensive which helps with the sweats, muscle twitches, anxiety and racing pulse, Immodium, Advil/Tylenol, Antihistamine-type Rx'es, SOMETIMES benzos (which can lead to a whole other level of drug dependence.) Just wanted to make sure you're clear the sub is not some light-weight med they give you to 'comfort' you in your methadone w/d - it def. has it's own detox and IMO, would make things more difficult for you
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Or start your own threed if you havent already more people will have differant idears .you will get more replise
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

the above post was ment for mcbob
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again McBob

Like Anna said in the other forum, I think this is really a question best asked of your Dr - we can all share our personal experience but it's kinda like asking how long is a piece of string, ya know?

D
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sorry Shells...I have just heard from many on hear that Subs were prescribed to help with the withdrawals from detoxing on opiates. If that is not the case, then I won't refer to them anymore.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Methadone

Methadone is a great drug.I was on it for almost a year after abusing oxys.It worked great.However the withdraw from methadone is much longer,full of depression and harder to quit cold turkey in my experiance then oxys.It took 3-4 months for meth to leave my system and to be able to taper down back on oxys.Meth in my opinion should only be used short term.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR pipelayinghost

D
Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"Meth in my opinion should only be used short term." This is an understatement!! Unfortinately, it usually get's administered alot longer than just short term, and is the reason it's so hard to come off of. I was on it (well still am, but almost off), for over 5 years (damn where has the time gone??), for chronic pain in my arms and neck due to an inflamed disc. I plan on using more natural methods or methods that do not included opiates to help with the pain. Deciding to go on meth. was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made....