Notices

FlappyD's Ultimate Guide to Getting off Suboxone

Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Wink for what its worth

Hey guys...first post on here, but thought id put my two cents in for what's it worth....and I would like to say 1st that if I had been informed about suboxone and the way it works, I would have simply taken the 4 day beating from hydro's and been done with it, but that's really here nor there....people have a tendency on these forums to use the word relapse in reference to their inner battles...change your mindset people and live in the present and now...nobody relapses....they just have lapses period..the end...u r a human...their are no defined rules....don't beat yourself up over it...you make a mistake, you learn from it..move on..don't dwell on the fact that you lapsed...just acknowledge what you could have done different and then be present.....secondly(or thirdly)...addicts(or whatever your preferred moniker is all have a tendency for wanting immediate self gratification, and that's what got you where u are with opiates, coke, benzos, alchohol,etcetc....and here's the deal with that...acknowledge the fact that even though for some reason your brain is telling you that the quicker you will be off suboxone, the better a person you will be is horseshit...imho..the reason we all have read the horror stories about getting off subs is because everybody that decides they are done and wants to be "clean"..jumps off way too fast..for some reaon you think u can go from 16 mg to 2 in a week and stop..it doesn't work like that...realize that if you are working toward that goal of getting off the subs, you are in just as good a place as when you are finally off....would you wish that last day of your life away simply because you were on 2 mgs of suboxone, and got hit by a car? No...you would say I should have focused more on my husband/wife mom/dad son/daughter..shoulda told my friends I appreciated them...shoulda watched a sporting event...gone to a show...eaten an ice cream cone..made love to the person I loved...learned to play the guitar...whatever floats your boat...just don't spend your time all the time obsessing over what you should have done before or what your going to do later..live in the "right now"..I personally think that the people that have had positive experiences getting off subs did it slowly..and I mean slowly[not instant gratification)...set a goal for a year...its august..by next august I wan to be off...start slowly but be disciplined.....whatever dose your taking...reduce it minimally,and I mean a sliver at a time and stay there for a coupla weeks...reduce it again..minimally...let your brain slowly start adjusting to less..let the receptors start to mend...the less you take,the more your receptors will start to rebuild...and if you taper slowly, your body will hardly know it...yea I've had bad days....pounding headaches..runny nose..the runs..all that ********..but don't be a ***** and take a lil more than you should just this one time so I can do so and so...treat the symptoms..not the cause..take tylenol, immodium, vitamins and supplements , exercise, eat and hydrate....the next day will be better...in the long run you will be the one writing the blog on how your experience getting off wasn't that bad....and for those of you struggling with who you are because you cant/don't won't to quit suboxone..I say to you...who cares...if that's what you need to get by, don't beat yourself up over it...like who u r. Love who ur with...be who u will be..a mom a dad a brother a sister a friend a compassionate person a good listener musician cook athlete...life is a long journey....everybodys path is different..the end is the same for all...enjoy your time here in the "present" because you never know when that times up....anyway..that's my 2 cents..take it for what its worth..just my two cents! Peace and word! And when the eagle flies with the dove, and if you can't be with the one you love..love the one your with
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
SoberMom

Question Goin off Subs for surgery ....

Hello,
i noticed this is a very old post but I hope someone replys.
I am 26 yrs old, I have been on subs since the birth of my son Jahtaévion in March 09'. I have been taking 24mg film (8mg ,3x day) . Last month everyone got dropped down to 16mgdaily max. I've been doin ok takin 8mg daily. I have 2 seprate wrist surgeries Sept. 27th. I'm goin under general anesthesia. I havent told either Dr yet bout my subs, fearing i wouldnt get the pain management i need to recover. I've been reading online bout subs n surgery and have decided to talk to both the surgeon n my sub Dr. I read that sub users are actually " opiate tolerant" and even stopping the subs 4-5 prior to surgery we still need higher doses and stronger meds than an
average person to overcome the subs leftover. I then thought well hey, I'm gonna be takin pain meds while i recover for 6-12 weeks depending on the severity of the tear in my TFCC & also the carpal tunnel release, so why not jus quit my subs ? I've wanted to get off for awhile. Costs to much a month and other reasons. Bu im so nervous to talk with my drs. Help !!?? Does this sound like a good idea ? What should i do ??
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

@proudmama... no offense intended, but you are asking random people on the internet for advice when you won't trust your doctors?

Start by talking to your sub Dr. You are not the first person he/she sees who is having surgery and may have need for an opiate painkiller. I doubt your sub doctor will be anything other than supportive, if they are worth 2 cents.

For my 2 cents, your surgeon needs to know as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

50 days off suboxone here, and I can independently verify nearly everything said in the OP. I followed that exactly, less the Requip, even though today is the first time I've read this thread.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
Jayw "and they gave him tincture of opiate to get him off. They gave my son an opiate to get off of sub., which is not an opiate"

Suboxone is an opiate whoever told you it wasnt is wrong
Isent it an opioud
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

@ProudMama

I understand what you are going thru. I had some procedures done and HATED to tell them but I was afraid they would either kill me with some bad mix or I would wake up midways. But for the future always be honest with your doctors. Yes they are people too and WILL judge you. Be prepared for that or it will kill you when it catches you off guard. But there are healthcare professionals that understand. I'm at the end of my 4th day off Suboxone. I was on 6mg and just quit. Took my last full dose on Thursday and woke up Friday ready to fight. oh and take it from me, I have been on Drugs/Suboxone since my daughters birth. Now that I am sobering up I realize how badly the medicine and drugs sapped my emotions. I haven't been able to feel the true joys of having a daughter as I should have. My son was 3 when I started so I have a basis of comparison to speak from as well. I have missed out on a great deal of joy that I can't get back. Don't let it go a day longer. I can tell you that even at 4 days sober I'm already damn glad I quit and I will NOT go back. Suboxone is a terrible thing and imo harder to get off of than just opiates contrary to my doctors advice. They just want you hooked on their legal addiction instead of the non-taxable illegal one. It's a damned conspiracy if I ever saw one and it took me 5 years to see that.

And again, please tell your doctors. They could really hurt you with the wrong drugs. They can bring in someone who knows how to handle Suboxone in these situations. BUT if you bring it up and your doctors seem to not be familiar with it then stress to them the dangers of nerve/pain meds. During my procedures they gave me "twilight" meds that knocked me out cold with no harsh effects. But my procedures didn't leave me in pain. Yours will. I see your appointment is 2 days away so I hope you see this before then.

I'm not usually the religious type or even one for luck but - God Bless and Good Luck! You need it.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 11 off suboxone

Well it's day 11. I was a heroin addict for 7 years and yes, suboxone really helped me to get and stay off heroin. I have been clean and sober almost 4 and a half years. I moved out of state and decided to finally go off of suboxone for good. I read a lot of posts on here, and Flappy D,s made a lot of sense. I took all my 100 2mg strips and threw them away. When I say I have been sober for over 4 years I mean I haven't touched a sip of booze, no Benzos,no weed,nothing! I go to AA meetings regularly and have worked the steps. Anway, I read Flappys post and went off suboxone tapering to .5 mg a day for a while and went off.
I am currently on day 11 and still experience sneezes, diahreah, crazy legs, and tossing a turning for a few hours. I slept a little eventually every night/morning and this has been a rough road. Hoping that it will be over soon. The only thing I've taken in non narcotic Clonidine for blood pressure and Baclofen for muscle spasms which didn't really help. I'm glad I didn't take any Benzos because it wouldn't be "sober" and also may just prolong the inevitable like the suboxone did for over 4 years. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Rocknrollkat78 View Post
Well it's day 11. I was a heroin addict for 7 years and yes, suboxone really helped me to get and stay off heroin. I have been clean and sober almost 4 and a half years. I moved out of state and decided to finally go off of suboxone for good. I read a lot of posts on here, and Flappy D,s made a lot of sense. I took all my 100 2mg strips and threw them away. When I say I have been sober for over 4 years I mean I haven't touched a sip of booze, no Benzos,no weed,nothing! I go to AA meetings regularly and have worked the steps. Anway, I read Flappys post and went off suboxone tapering to .5 mg a day for a while and went off.
I am currently on day 11 and still experience sneezes, diahreah, crazy legs, and tossing a turning for a few hours. I slept a little eventually every night/morning and this has been a rough road. Hoping that it will be over soon. The only thing I've taken in non narcotic Clonidine for blood pressure and Baclofen for muscle spasms which didn't really help. I'm glad I didn't take any Benzos because it wouldn't be "sober" and also may just prolong the inevitable like the suboxone did for over 4 years. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Hey man I feel ya! I have a similar usage history... just passed 5 months sober since I kicked the subs. The first 2 weeks are rough, then you start to improve (really the first month generally sucked for me), then after that, things just keep getting better. Hang in there, you're almost to the other side of the worst!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I don't want to sound like a spoiler . And this is just my opinion.but if you have less life left than you have lived .stoping opiats is a big disishion .
You have to take into consideration your age .
Don't forget opiats are a pain killer

Stoping will show up all your pain full joints witch were meny when I stopped

I've lived my life with mainly drug yousers and normal people are different

It's not much fun suddenly being old yes old ....

Fear creeps in all the people you have upset ..

Might come and upset you

I now find myself needing to rest when I walk round town **** man opiats gave me the feeling of youth power invinsabilaty and immortality

???????????????????????????my I miss them
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Jazz, seems like you want to get high my friend?
For all of those kicking the idea about:
1. Going on Suboxone to get off their opiate of choice
2. Choosing to get off Subs
I assure you both can be done! I did them both. In fact, I'm on week 2 of being off of subs (16mgs for over a year). I tapered down to 2mg and jumped. Just some minor aches, and anxiety (after reading all of the online posts about how bad going off it is) and it was done!

And seriously, going on subs is BY FAR a better choice than the life on a full agonist opiate, I assure you. Especially if you are a slave to the needle like I was.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Just wanted to bump this thread for someone who needs encouragement.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 09-22-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fix mistake
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm really bad at all the typing..I'm on 16 mg of subutex a day..I'm still snorting it but this Monday will be week two of me..don't judge but I couldnt handle lettin them dissolve under my tounge.. So I put them into my anal cavity..I have been doing one 8 mg pill a day and it's even pretty rough but I need help! I can't type all the stuff out on this little phone would anyone be willing to call me!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I would love some help I just posted my question but I hate typing on this little phone and would love if you could call me!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle, this board can be fairly slow and this is an older thread. You might want to start a new post to get some answers. I'm not sure if someone would be willing to call you but, if you start a new thread people will try to help.

Are you trying to stop abusing your Sub? Is that what you need help with? Or a different issue? If you are getting the Sub from a doctor you should discuss your cravings with them.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I want to get off of the sub completely I have been snorting it for two years and for the last year haven't gotten high and just hated it so I was seeing what everyone thought about me trying to taper down using the method I'm trying since I vomit wen I try to put them under my tounge
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

neverending story

been on subs for 4+ years, ive weened to down as low as 1mg every OTHER day with the help of kratom, yet I still cant take the leap of completely quitting. Seems like symptoms are just the same and last just as long. I know that cant be right. Ive tried countless times to stop completely. anyways, freakyd's post really gave me insight and hope. I've self medicated with sub all these years, so the 1mg has been steady for awhile, I cant afford to miss work so finding the right time to really go for it is tough. the time is coming though, its day 3 no subs, but ive taken different opiates to get through work. anyways, the game plan now is to follow freakyd's method with the help of the kratom and see how far I can take it, its so annoying having this monkey on my back. although I do agree with the one person who said if ur happy eating sub everyday and u can afford it, then why get off. are u really a better person without it, are we lesser people since we need it? whatever. anyways, thank god for sites like these, thanks to all that shared and all I wish is for everybody to be happy and live the lives they want to live.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Glassjaw good luck to you and hope you can get through this as pain free as possible. Just a little advice, be careful with the other opies and the kratom you want to move forward not backward right?

Take care and congrats!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by flappyD View Post
**Ok, so it's your 3rd or 4th day off suboxone, it's 4am in the morning, and you are on the computer trying to find a way to get off this sh*t that your doctor said would be SOOOO.... much easier to get off than opiates. You are really pissed because you are finding article after article that people are having a really hard time getting off this stuff and it seems that the withdrawals last even longer than opiates. A thought crosses your mind about kicking your doctors as*. Then you try and get some sleep. You lay their in bed or on the couch and about 1 minute later, this uncontrollable sensation sets off in your legs and you have to move it. Then again. Then again. Then you wake your wife up tossing and turning. Then she kicks you out of the bed. You try the couch but end up watching infomercials all freaking night...."You get it all for $19.95". Then it happens. You look out the window and you see the sun slowly creeping up on the horizon and you realize that you will be getting no sleep tonight.**

I've been there!! So many times. I can't count the number of times that i have. But this last time I tried something different. And it worked. I have been off for 2 months now and feel great and sleeping every night. I know, you want to know the secret. I will get to that in a second.

First, here are my qualifications.....I started taking hydrocodone about 10 years ago while working as a salesman at a car dealership. One of my friends...i mean co-workers gave me a Vicoden and told me that I would sell twice as many cars today. Well, he was right. I wanted to talk to everyone. I was in the best mood. I had tons of energy. Then I wanted more. So i did what a lot of us had done. I went to the doctor. Got 60 a month but that soon wasnt enough. So I took the next step and found the online pharmacies. BIG MISTAKE for me. Soon I had 5 (120 count of Norco's) RX's being shipped to me at work each month. I was taking anywhere from 10 to 18 a DAY. Yes a day. I got my liver checked each month at my doctor. This continued for 4 years. I wanted and kept chasing that energy that I had when I first took it. My wife would walk in the bathroom each morning to find me in the bottom of the shower asleep because I was so damn tired that I couldn't make my body get up. My 2 weeks of vacation each year turned into 2 weeks of trying (and failing) to get off. It was hopeless. Then I heard of a friend who got off by using suboxone. So i called my local Physc. Doc and made the appointment. Took my first suboxone and 20 minutes later felt like a million dollars. I had done it. I had gotten off Opiates. This was going to be a breeze!! If I had just know then, I could have strangled my doctor while I was there.....

OK...enough of me. You didn't come here to read about me. You want off the damn Suboxone. Here goes...

*1. Number one and most important of all. (This is where I messed up everytime except for the last time.) Miss your next 3 appointments with your doctor and get kicked out of the program. Why? Because when you run out of the suboxone you have left and you are on day 3 or 4 off, you will not be temped to call your doctor and tell him that you just cant make it and ask him for a refill. DON'T HAVE ANY LAYING AROUND THE HOUSE EITHER. Get rid of all of them. Your brain will do this amazing thing and actually help you through it alot easier because you know that there is no option of taking a pill. I would never have made it without doing this because I was just too weak to say no.

*2. On day 4 or 5 you will feel like sh*t. And I mean bad. This is usually a sign that things are about to turn around. I couldnt ever get past this part. I would always give in and take something. DONT!!!! Give it one more day!! Forget about all that sh*t you read about it taking 2 months to feel better. That is bullsh*t and not true. You WILL feel better the next day. Keep telling yourself how good it will feel to be off this stuff and to not have to worry about taking a damn pill everyday.

*3. I know...you can't sleep. DON'T TAKE SLEEPING PILLS!!!! Don't go stealing your friends Lunesta or other sleeping pills. Trust me on this one! You will be miserable on the couch awake but unable to move. The most God awful feeling that I have ever had. Just face the fact that you are not going to get much sleep for a week. Take HOT baths. I took 4 or 5 a night. Drove my wife crazy too. If you are a guy, try jerking off as much as you can. I know, it sounds crazy, but it really did help me sleep.

*4. Call your other doctor and get some Requip. Your legs are going to drive you crazy for a week or 2. Restless leg syndrome is a b*tch. This is what I had the hardest time with but it does get better. Again, take hot baths. Try sleeping with hot patches or cold patches on your legs. This really worked for me. The cold worked better. In between my shoulder blades on my back really bothered me too and the cold patches worked there too. The Requip will help with all of this too.

*5. Dont go jumping off 8mg of Suboxone. I got down to 2mg a day for about 3 to 4 weeks and then jumped.

*6. Stop making excuses to fail. I did this with 2 kids at the house. Not to mention a 4 year old and a 1 year old. You can do it. Stop reading all the damn negative articles here on the internet. It is very rare to find someone who has beat the addiction to come back here on the internet and post a comment. They stay away from it because they are free now. Print this article and put it on your mirror and stay off the internet. If you are so damn weak, how do you have the energy to get on your pc and surf the internet. Never thought about that did you?

*7. Take a lot of Ibuprofen.

*8. There is going to be that day during the week, that you finally get a little sleep, and you wake up and you feel a little better. Go look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back. You will begin to tell yourself, "Damn, I CAN do this!" It's not bad after all. It just takes getting past that REALLY BAD DAY.

*9. Don't hide this from your family. You need the support. Trust me. Tell your wife to give you a break for about 2 weeks. Promise her it will be worth it because you are about to be a better person after all of this. You are going to feel like doing more with the family because you are not so worried about the damn addiction.

*10. If you don't know God, this will be a great opportunity to find him. Dont want to force that on anyone but just a thought.

*11. Try sitting in the sun for a little each day. It will be bright as sh*t because you have been locked up in the house all week, but it really does help your energy levels.

*12. Forget about all that sh*t about being depressed and wanting to kill yourself. I would have killed myself along time ago. I worked for General Motors and then lost my job, lost my house, lost my 2008 Tahoe LTZ, and cant get financed for a vehicle because of all of this. My son asks me everyday to go to Disney World and Sea World. I went from making $120,000 a year to making $0. Actually as strange as it seems, I feel better and happier off the suboxone even with all this going on because I beat a 10 year addiction.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Do it for yourself and no other reason! If I forgot anything I will repost and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

God Bless and good luck!
FlappyD
On the fifth anniversary of this post, I wanted to make sure it was up where all would see it. It has had over 23,000 views--if just ONE person is clean now, it is a success.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wonder how Flappy D is doing. He only posted twice and both posts were exactly the same. Doesn't bode well I would say, but who knows. I am just saying before this is looked at as "THE ULTIMATE GUIDE" we do need to consider the source don't we? Be WELL!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Are the WD's milder if you are jumping from subs after only being on it a short while (4 weeks) as opposed to someone who has been taking it for years?