Notices

FlappyD's Ultimate Guide to Getting off Suboxone

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SugarScars View Post
My experience hasn't been that bad with the subs. I'm very surprised to see so many people having trouble with it .... I don't know. It's very odd.

I'm going down to 3 mgs next month, and then I'll stay on that until I adjust. Then, I'll go down to 2. Then, 1. Then, .5. Then, .5 every other day. Then, .5 every third day. Once day, I'll forget to take it.

I'm prepared for some discomfort, don't get me wrong. That's life. It's not the end of the world, though. I'll have the program of Narcotics Anonymous to help me.

Nothing can be as bad as quitting smoking! If I got through that hell without slipping up ONCE, I have every confidence that this will NOT be that bad!

xo Sugs

I to have not had the problems I am hearing all these people have with getting off suboxone. I actually went off of it for a few days, but I went back on after day 3 because I was getting depressed and felt that I wan't ready to be off. I have tapered down to 2 mg a aday with no adverse effects and -plan to get off in the next month. but all this pain and lack of sleep, I didn't have any of that when I stopped cold turkey. just some mild anxiety. my depression I talked about was situational. I guess we are all different.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SugarScars View Post
My experience hasn't been that bad with the subs. I'm very surprised to see so many people having trouble with it .... I don't know. It's very odd.

I'm going down to 3 mgs next month, and then I'll stay on that until I adjust. Then, I'll go down to 2. Then, 1. Then, .5. Then, .5 every other day. Then, .5 every third day. Once day, I'll forget to take it.

I'm prepared for some discomfort, don't get me wrong. That's life. It's not the end of the world, though. I'll have the program of Narcotics Anonymous to help me.

Nothing can be as bad as quitting smoking! If I got through that hell without slipping up ONCE, I have every confidence that this will NOT be that bad!

xo Sugs
I didn't have much trouble tapering down from Subs and I got down to about 1mg a day before stopping. Doctor gave me a "clonidine patch" and let me tell you, I'm on 48 hours without a Sub and it is much worse than nicotine withdrawal. I almost ripped down doors in my house. There's no words to describe this awful feeling. I took 4 hot showers today, couldn't eat and tried to go jogging but that was a failure. I hope it gets better soon.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pistoletta View Post
Soooo...I haven't really been able to find anything about short term w/d. Most people who go on suboxone seem to go on it for extended periods of time. I'm using it just to ease the w/d symptoms of the heroin detox. I can't afford to go on it long term without insurance or government help, and I can't get either.

To be honest with you, if I weren't sweating like a stuck pig this morning, I wouldn't have touched the s**t. I've been so terrified reading posts (not from this board, most of them from this other site...I can't remember the name, but it's mostly green in the background and has annoying botox ads every few posts) that I'm afraid of relapsing after all this.

I have been taking suboxone for about three days. I think the first day, I ended up doing around 14mg, taking the other 2mg of the 16 around 6am that next morning. Between yesterday and today (today I took 4mg so far and I've been up about 8 hours), I took another 16mg (so 12 yesterday and 4 so far today). I've yet to really feel high from it like some people talk about...which is good or I'd likely be inclined to keep it up. (sorry, bein' honest...) I can remember doing my friend's take home methadone dose once and I was so effed up I couldn't hold my head up for most of the day. It's nothing like that. I got more spent on that than I did on the H.

Anyway, I was thinking about going down to 8mg total for today, then 4 for tomorrow, 2 the following day, 1 the following day, .5 the next day.

Do you think that will help with a short term suboxone w/d?

Any advice on this? Everyone has been so great and pretty much on point so far.
That sounds extreme. I think your withdrawals will be unbearable trying to quit like that. I would try to ween off Subs after a few months or so.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am so sick of the fact my brain won't stop thinking about this. Taking it getting off it etc. The min I wake up I think can I take less today? I always make some excuse to take an extra 1mg. I think about it all day every day. Im going nut's. When im busy Im ok but being single and work for myself it's a bitch. Im ok on 2mg daily but still seem to make up something like well I have a big day I need to feel 100% so Ill take an extra half. The 1 time I went cold turkey from 4mg It was horrible. I have to find a way mentally to stick to tapering down. My fn brain will not stop thinking about it. I sure would like to read more positive posts to give me hope. This site I think will help alot. Never tried any help from anywhere or anyone. maybe even find someone to talk to about this. Like I have read, I wish i new what i was getting into with sub. Just another drug what the hells the difference other than its legal. Sorry to run on.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you down here nosub.
Check out the main sub abuse forum too

D
Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

pistoletta;

I'm on subs and my sub doctor gets me subs through a patient assistannce program for low income people. I pay nothing for the pils. Check with your doc and see if they know about this.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

wow what a great post flappy 10/10 thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

From Methadone to Suboxone

Flappyd, your Thread is great. It gave me hope. I have been off a 4 or 5 year Meth clinic for two weeks. I got out of Detox on 11/17 and went to an out patient place. Everyone who spoke to me (the Professionals??!!) reccomended Subox as a "Miracle Drug" Now I heard the same thing in 1967 when I was 17 and Meth was the miracle drug. And because of it, I spent the majority of my life on Methadone clinics. So I'm shaking and quaking in my boots and I looked forward to the next 6 to 8 months of this when a "professional" holds out a light and tells me about Suboxone. Today is my 4th day on the sh*t and I am in a really wierd state. I am on 16mgs for the last THREE days but still feeling the Meth kick way down deep. I was hoping to stay on Sub for 2 months until the Meth heebie jeebies went away and now I don't know what the hell to do.Should I stop the Sub cold, on my forth day? Nothing could hook you that fast. At least, not like the Methadone. If I do I will return to my previous state of withdrawal maybe a few degrees better. Or should I wait and tell my Dr and let him give me 4 mgs down to 2mgs? Or should I stay where I am? Somebody please tell me because I am in no condition to decide for myself. Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Freddie

I think your Dr is always your best bet.

We have a lot of smart and knowledgeable people here but only your doctor really knows your circumstances, your history, your health etc.

Good to have you aboard,
D
Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

No prob with suboxone???

As somebody new to this post I find it interesting to see the only people with NO problem getting off suboxone ..Are Still On IT!!!! How crazy is that?
I'm on my 4th day of Suboxone. On t11/17 I got out of detox and waited a week for my outpatient Dr to give me the Rx. I was twitching from being on a Methadone clinic for4 years but I sat on my hands and let my wife feed me while I twitched and shook and broke things. Suboxone was supposed to help but if I have to kick THAT, what the hell's the point? I think I'll leave the Suboxone alone and go back to my withdrawal from Meth unaided.
Can some body please advise as I'm at my computer terribly confused. HELP!!!!
Thanks
freddie4621

Last edited by freddie4621; 11-28-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Left out my cry for help
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, Get Off It NOWWWWW!

Originally Posted by trv1530 View Post
That sounds extreme. I think your withdrawals will be unbearable trying to quit like that. I would try to ween off Subs after a few months or so.
LISTEN TO HIM. He's only been on Subs a few days. YES TRV, by all means try and get off yourself, don't stay on it for a few months dude!
Geez, I'm getting too excited , if I wasn't on the subs I would have a beer.
freddie4621:wtf2:wtf2

Last edited by freddie4621; 11-28-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spellig
Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Freddy the boards are a little quiet right now due to the holidays...people will share their experience with you when they're around.

You can look around in the main substance abuse forum too - it's busier

D
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey i'm getting ready to switch from methadone to suboxone..my bf did that.(He really appreciated this post by the way..he's at 2 mg and it made him feel good to know that the withdrawals can be over with in a week). I'm just wondering if you think it's a good idea that I switch to suboxone..I mean in my opinion I think it would be easier on me to get on that so that the withdrawal symptoms won't be as severe. I hear methadone is very tough to come off of ! So I'd just like to stay on the subs long enough to get the methadone outta my system..do you think this is a good idea?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good idea to discuss that with your Dr

D
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yes, your treatment team is the best source of help with this. If there is really a good reason to discontinue maintenance, a long, slow taper is the usual practice. This is a big decision and should be based on medical and life situations. If you are not in a stable place in your recovery, tapering off makes little sense. Suboxone can be used as a detox med, but detoxing without an excellent recovery program in place is a recipe for disaster.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Progressive Metal Vocalist

I will admit, I am on ~12mg/Day and have been for nearly 2 years. I am terrified of both withdrawals and replapsing. I feel like my subox is my silver bullet. As i take one each day, i am assured that i will not relapse. What better feeling?

yours in the journey,
Mark
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have also been on it for over two years. I have a pretty much come-what-may attitude about getting off. Should there come a time in my life when everything is stable, and if my doc and counselor agree, I may try tapering off. On the other hand, I am perfectly happy taking the daily meds. So, either way is just fine. What I really hope for in the future is that the endless regulations will relax so that I can get all my meds from my internist. As it is, I have to see another doc each month, which is really uneccessary.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Progressive Metal Vocalist

Yes, my thoughts exactly! My doc & therapist see no reason for me to hurry and get off from subox. My life is closer to stable than ever before!

Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've always felt that if I am unsure about any aspect of tapering, it is probably best not to. I'd also say that, in my time in recovery, I've learned that my own opinion on major life changes is not always accurate. When I feel I am 100% sure that something is "right", it is probably best that I get a second (and third) opinion beforehand.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
little darlin'

gunslinger & tsmba:
I have to say that right now I share the same sentiment as you.... I was continuing to relaspe over and over.. could never get my sobriety to 'stick'. With the subs, life is so much better. I'm me again, I'm happy. I'm not looking for and obsessing over pills, pills and more pills. I work, I focus, I'm proud of myself as a mom and wife again. I'm rebuilding a solid foudation for my life.
That's not to say however, that I don't ever intend to quit the sub... I've already successfully tapered down to 3mg's~ stepping down to 2 mg today, in fact. When it's time to be done, and I'm certain I'm ready and can do this on my own, I will. Until then, I'm quite content taking my suboxone and continuing to rebuild my life and family. Works for me, for now