Notices

Suboxone ?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Suboxone ?

I have an an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow morning about my use of Percocet and Lortab. I have been taking it for several years since I hurt my back and had back surgery. I know these are an issue in my life when I started buying off the street, internet and doctor shopping. A friend is on suboxone and gave me half of one a few days ago, I took half of that and it seemed to help alot. I have the rest left, I also have lortab left. What I have read states to be off the lortab, etc for 24 hours before your appointment, will taking that remaining suboxone be okay to take, I scared I will fall weak and give into a lortab today?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I have no personal experience with Suboxone (I'm in a Methadone Maintenance Program) but I felt the need to reply to your thread.

Don't take the Sub, don't take any Lortab, Percocet, nothing. Let the Dr. see how you are without having anything in you. Be completely honest about what you use, how much you use and when you last used. I cannot stress just how important this is to getting on the right dosage that will work for you! When I first got into the MMT Program, I wasn't honest with the Dr. about how much I used, I minimized it. Of course, all this resulted in was me not being on the right dose of Methadone. I went through a few weeks of feeling pretty crappy just because I was ashamed to tell a Dr. just how much I really used. I was the only one who was hurt by this.

I know when the withdrawls start hitting, they are pretty horrible. I just can't stress enough how important it is that he sees the true picture of your withdrawls. Hang in there! You're appt is tomorrow. You can do this. 24 hours of feeling like crap is so worth what lies ahead if you get clean, stay clean and work on a Program of Recovery. I began using when I was 11 and finally got clean and sober back in July of 2005 when I was 43. So the majority of my life, I was numb on narcotics. I would not trade one single day, even my worst day clean, for anything. This life is beyond words. I used to ride, you know that feeling of freedom you get when you open up the bike out on a country road? That feeling of freedom, that there is nothing else in the world except the open road ahead? That's the only thing I can begin to use to describe what my Recovey feels like.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks SerenityQueen,

I know what recovery is like without a drink, I'm active in AA. I spoke with the intake nurse today and my appointment isn't until Friday morning at 10:00. I had lortab today, but when I got home tonight, I took them all out of my truck and locked the away, so I will not have them tomorrow at work and when I get off work I'm going to an AA meeting. That should keep me busy to about 9:30 tomorrow night, come home go to bed, then get up Friday morning, take my oldest son to kindergarden, then go see the doctor at 10:00. The nurse faxed me all of the paper work today to fill out and I was total honest with her about everything during the phone call, what my RX was per month, buying off the street from friends and even told her that a friend had given me an 8mg Soboxone and what it felt like when I took it. My plan is to handle this the same way I did with my drinking problem "HONEST WITH MYSELF AND THE DOCTOR". Go see the doctor, tell him I started using anything as a teen, stopped drugs in the late
80's and drinking in my early 40's with the help of AA, now I'm 46 and need to stop what I'm doing with this pain medication. I'm not going to hold any secrets back and be totally honest with him. I just hope the withdrawls are strong enough that he gets me started on Friday.
Again thanks for sharing your ES&H with me and I'll keep you posted.

Harleyman AKA Madlad
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

when I started subs my cravings were gone no withdrawals it was a miricale I started at 4 mg aday and thats where i jumped off 25 days ago. My sugestion for anyone would be taper as low as you can. I jumped because it was making me ill and i had lost 25 or so pounds in under a month. It helped me and if your on suboxone and take a tab it want do anything for you because of the opiate blocker. I could have run up on a loratab and just chunked it I think I mean I had no cravings at all. Good luck to you.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friend

Subs can really help, but do it through the doctor...no use in making a drug that could really help you, illicit in practice. You need to be in some pretty good withdrawals to start the sub - sweats, chills, runny nose, aches, anxiety - all that. Google COWS score, which is a good indicator of whether you're ready to take your first sub. DO NOT try to take it prematurely, or you'll get sick. If for some reason you've already taken it, and you're in what is called 'precipitated' w/d...or one that has come about from the sub knocking the other opiate off the pain receptors (in very simple terminology) -- IMHO I'd continue taking the sub until I even out...I wouldn't try to take any other opiate over it, because it wouldn't work, it would be a waste, and may end up prolonging the withdrawal symptoms. Talk to a doctor though. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you do take something tonight you will have to lie to the doctor and fake being in withdrawal in the morning in order to get the subs from him. I wouldn't personally want to start a relationship with a doctor on that foot, because he may be able to tell you are lying. It's hard to fake a cold sweat. Try to go there clean, you'll feel better about yourself in the long run. And be totally honest with the doc. Also, remember that to get the benefit, you must dissolve subs under your tongue for about 15-20 minutes. The medicine is absorbed by the tissues in your mouth, not by your stomach. If you go in to the appt. in withdrawal, you will be "fixed" in about 5 minutes after you take it, in my experience. So try to make it the whole night and morning without using.

Love,
KJ
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I keep checking the doctor's and I found one that work's in pain management and suboxone as well. I have my appointment to afternoon at 5:00 after work. I told the nurse everything an held nothing back. This was one of the last doctor's office I called and they will code it so my insurance will pay for it since she "the doctor" works with both pain management and pain medication abuse. Will post back how thing going. I will be in WD, took my last dose of medication I had today, I have nothing else in my home and RX to be refilled. I will probably feel like crap tomorrow, but if the doctor see's the true WD like allot of you have stated, I should be good to go. Now i have to find an NA meet or just start stating that I'M an addict in the AA meeting I attend. Thanks everyone and please pray for me tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck brother. Remember what you are going through and get yourself educated as much as possible about the suboxone, not just one doc. Everybody has a different situation and we have to responsibility to our health into our own hand. your DR. only has son much time for you, the people here are are experiencing all levels of all the stages that you may run into.

Youve made a good choice and you will be happy you made it tomorrow!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Counting down the hours here. My appointment is at 5:00 and it's 3:00 now. I did go to a noon NA meeting today. At this point I took my last OC yesterday about 2:30, so I should be in WD by the time I fill out all of paper work and see the doctor.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friend

How did things go today?? were you able to start the subs?? How are you feeling, and how was the dr??? If you started today, you're probably exhausted from the day of w/d and relieved to be feeling better - and asleep! If you don't get around to it tonight...please update tomorrow! Fingers crossed for you Harleyman - hope things are all good =)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dido, hope things went well!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Harleyman, how's it going? Did you get your doctors okay to start suboxone? Suboxone saved my life. I was on 30 pills a day until my doctor gave me suboxone. I took it for less than a week, and I am clean for 4 years now. You must listen to your doctor though. Don't listen to all the other addicts, be honest and your doctor will help you with the proper dose. As Serenity Queen said, if you lie to your doctor about how much you use, you will only hurt yourself in the long run. Good Luck and Congratulations on your new life in recovery. I must admit, It's awesome to be free from addiction.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hurah
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Angelic my Dr. Put me on 32mg of suboxone and take it as long as you like 5 min appointment and out the door. Would you charactarize that as good advise. I am just wondering why you would tell someone who knows nothing about suboxone to only listen to his Dr. and not listen to these other adicts. I have found a great wealth in these other adicts experiences. I may have missed something in the thread.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wanted to update everyone, the doctor's appoint went from 5:00 -7:30 that was paper work and all. I told the doctor everything, from the 80's until now. Drugs at a young age, POT, COCAINE, you name it. Told her I was active in AA and when I got sober from the Jack D. and when I had the back surgery and all about the pain pill abuse. I did hold anything back. She gave me 2 MG in the office to see how I responded. Had to wait to 8:30 and let them recheck my vital's. She put me on a 4mg ever 8 hours for now and wants me to come back in this Wednesday. I got home around 10:30 and it's 2:30 now, seem to wide awake. Is that normal, being just awake like this and feeling normal. I got home and played with my 5 and 2 year old until about midnight. So I think I going to eat a bite and go to bed, 6:00 AM will be here soon and another day at the office. I will post all of you later on today. I want to thank you all for your prayers and support.

Harleyman

PS,

I might just ride my Harley to work today to just feel the true wind in my face. Thank you all again, the road from pain killers has started.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, I'm up this morning not really thinking of any lortab or anything. With just the short amount of sleep I had feel pretty good. I did wake up with just a mild sweat, but that still probably the other stuff leaving the brain and body. Just finished my dose as directed by the Dr. So now see how the day goes. Will keep you all posted of my progress and my feeling and thoughts during the day.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
Angelic my Dr. Put me on 32mg of suboxone and take it as long as you like 5 min appointment and out the door. Would you charactarize that as good advise. I am just wondering why you would tell someone who knows nothing about suboxone to only listen to his Dr. and not listen to these other adicts. I have found a great wealth in these other adicts experiences. I may have missed something in the thread.
Jimba, I do understand what your saying, and I am sorry if my post came off the wrong way. In Harleys earlier post he said that a friend gave him suboxone. What I was trying to tell him was not to self medicate, and not to take pills from friends. That's why I told him to listen to his doctor. When I said don't listen to all the other addicts, I meant that everyone has a different tolerance to medications, and what has sickened one person, might have helped another greatly. I didn't mean not to listen to other addicts about everything. Just about self medicating. After all it's self medicating that got us into trouble in the first place. Your doctor obviously didn't take very much time with you, if he gave you a script, told you to take it as long as you like, and out the door. I wouldn't call that good advice at all. My doctor, gave me a script, told me to use as little as possible, Just enough to stop withdrawal, and to try to wean off quickly. Which is what I did. But he knew I really wanted off of all substances. He told me suboxone should be used for a short while, but that's in my case. I cannot speak for another addict who is suffering with severe addiction. What's good for me may not be good for someone else. I'm sorry I didn't phrase my post the right way, and sorry you misunderstood me. I love this site, and all of the addicts here lift me up, and help me to get through another day clean, with love and support. I will be more careful at the way I phrase my posts. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Harleyman, Good going. I am so happy for you. Suboxone has helped me so much, and got me off of 30 pills a day without discomfort. I see that as a gift. Enjoy your new life in sobriety. It just keeps getting better.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah good job dude,and if you don't feel right today let your doctor know. This stuff should work right away unless your a methadone patient in which case I have heard the transition is rough for some. But you should feel good, better than you did before. For me it was like the addiction was gone, no more chasing, cravings gone etc..
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelic17 View Post
Jimba, I do understand what your saying, and I am sorry if my post came off the wrong way. In Harleys earlier post he said that a friend gave him suboxone. What I was trying to tell him was not to self medicate, and not to take pills from friends. That's why I told him to listen to his doctor. When I said don't listen to all the other addicts, I meant that everyone has a different tolerance to medications, and what has sickened one person, might have helped another greatly. I didn't mean not to listen to other addicts about everything. Just about self medicating. After all it's self medicating that got us into trouble in the first place. Your doctor obviously didn't take very much time with you, if he gave you a script, told you to take it as long as you like, and out the door. I wouldn't call that good advice at all. My doctor, gave me a script, told me to use as little as possible, Just enough to stop withdrawal, and to try to wean off quickly. Which is what I did. But he knew I really wanted off of all substances. He told me suboxone should be used for a short while, but that's in my case. I cannot speak for another addict who is suffering with severe addiction. What's good for me may not be good for someone else. I'm sorry I didn't phrase my post the right way, and sorry you misunderstood me. I love this site, and all of the addicts here lift me up, and help me to get through another day clean, with love and support. I will be more careful at the way I phrase my posts. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I agree with you and wrote something harsher and then rethought. I have seen your posts and gotten your feedback, and know you are a caring person.

You got good treatment a lot of Dr.s just hand out the pills and say have fun. I advocate educating yourself and knowing what you are doing to your body. Some say suboxone is like switching wine for Brandy, which I don't agree with it is an opioid and is addictive. It can become another rut and go on for years without your tolerances going up and just controlling cravings. Some may be okay with that or even need it. They are studying now for the treatment of depression. It was a miracle for me I am going through tapering off now and doing fine.

I just of the opinion of listening to all and taking it for what it is worth.

Cheers to you both, and congrats Angel on 4 years and staying involved.