Notices

On The Fence With Suboxone

Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On The Fence With Suboxone

In the mid-twentieth century antabuse came around as an extension of the direct treatment of a symptom dealing with alcoholism. It was something which would pretty much guarantee a alcoholic not picking up that first drink (woe to the one who tried!). While not drinking, the alcoholic (with help), could look deeper into themselves and possibly understand what forces were causing such destructive symptoms. It was an adjunct to the recovery process....giving that little extra sober time, where maybe, acceptance and surrender would take place.
Moving forward in time to the recent, a new adjunct to treating opioid dependence has come on the scene, Suboxone. Modern medicine has come a long way trying to treat the addictive mind, after-all the problem centers in it. So Suboxone is one of the newer drugs for that purpose. It allows the addict to dampen the cravings while working on a plan of recovery, i.e. an extension of the direct treatment of a symptom. (Please read "The Direct Treatment Of A Symptom" by Dr. Harry Tiebout).
Comparing, in a parallel way, Antabuse and Suboxone in their respective roles as adjuncts to abstinence there seems to be a fundamental difference in how they could be perceived by the person taking it. If the alcoholic takes Antabuse knowing the sickening outcome should a drink be taken, does it suggest acceptance of Antabuse as a negative reinforcement? Suboxone, on the other hand, does not really have such negative consequences if used on top of. The addict has wasted the additional opiate because it doesn't work due to the opioid antagonist in the Suboxone, beyond that, there is no real negative side effect. The question arises, will addicts look on Suboxone as some magic bullet/cure, or an additional tool to use in the recovery process? It seems Methadone has shown itself to be more of a negative benefit than positive one. It seems much harder to detox from Methadone than Heroin itself. It draws into question weather or not the treatment is worse than the disease. Suboxone, on the other hand, is easier for the addict to taper off of. Will it become another Methadone? Who knows? I have to consider the profit motive behind both. I suppose my uncertainty with Suboxone is influenced by Methadone's legacy and weather or not there is a true desire to use it as tool for recovery or just another means of profit with the addict becoming a misguided victim in the process. I know treatment programs go along with Suboxone and there already exists a black-market for it also. Hopefully it will be used as another tool for recovery and the addict will be informed and educated to the point where they may ask themselves the question: Do I really want to get clean and use Suboxone as a TEMPORARY tool in my recovery, or will it be my "magic bullet", and with it I will be okay? No one knows what is in another person's heart, that innermost self, what is one's true motive (do they even know?)? Time will tell..............This has been on my mind for a while, so I thought SR might be a good place to voice it........Thanks.........................A
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I have been in a Methadone Maintence Treatment Program since July of 2005. I am one of the "success stories" of a successful MMTclient. For this addict, I believe with all of my heart, that Methadone, along with an intensive, 9 month outpatient program which I completed, 12 Step Meetings, a Sponsor, working the 12 Steps, changing my behaviors and a conscious contact with my HP, whom I call God, I have had a complete change in my life. I do feel that even though I am on Methadone, I am in Recovery. I also have chronic medical conditions that cause daily pain, sometimes intensive, for which the Metadone is also helping. I don't get high on the Methadone, it simply fills in for the part of my brain that no longer can produce endorphines on it's own. Since I abused opiates heavily for 25 years, this is a result.

I have never been on Suboxone, therefore I don't think I am qualified to say if it works or not. I'll leave that to the people who have used it, as directed. I hear many people's opinions on Methadone and Suboxone who either haven't been on either of them or if they were, they didn't take it as directed or those who know someone who took it. I don't think anyone is qualified to come out and say something doesn't work at all if they don't have first hand experience with something. Almost like me saying that a medication for jock itch for example doesn't work. If someone did take one of these, as directed and found that it didn't work for them, please don't generalize the use of it as being "negative" for everyone.

However, I feel that these medications should be used as a last resort, when every other avenue has been explored and attempted. I see some very young people at the Clinic I go to who have only used for a year or so. I am by no means saying that this person isn't an addict or doesn't deserve to be able to get treatment. (Quite the opposite, I applaude them for seeking help early in their addiction) I just feel that this early in Recovery a person should try other avenues before getting on Suboxone or Methadone.

I have known several people who were detoxed off of Methadone without any problems. This is because they followed the Dr's orders exactly on how much to taper down to and over what period of time. Sure, if someone tries to do their own detox, more than likely they are going to have a hard time.

My feeling is that if a person has tried every other avenue possible, really tried, not any half a$$ attempts, then I'm all for someone trying to get Clean with the help of Suboxone or Methadone. Sure, the first year and a half that I was on Methadone, I had to go to the Clinic every single morning to dose. Quite frankly, on days that it was below zero and snow up to my knees, it sucked. But did the weather ever stop me from coping dope? I don't think so. I never took a day off from that. Now, I have earned takehome doses where I only have to go twice a week. The benefits of MMT vs. where I more than likely would be now make it a very easy choice for me. I'd rather be alive, happy, joyous and free, than dead. I'd already experienced the jails and institutions, there wasn't much left for me except death.

I'd love to hear others opinions but please, can we keep it in our opinions or first hand knowledge for yourself or if it was someone you know, please specify that.

Thank You,
Judy
Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried to quit opiates c/t. I had done it before (20 years ago), thought I could do it again. Three days is what I was expecting, then to start getting better. Instead, I was five days into w/d, still experiencing the worst of w/d, and craving. I couldn't do it that way. I went on suboxone, did a 2 month detox. I got down to 2mg, and jumped off yesterday. I tried to get my dose lower than 2mg, but found that I couldn't easily work with the w/d I always experienced on the lower doses. My doc thinks that the w/d is the same off 2mg as it is off lower doses, that I was just prolonging the w/d process. Many would disagree.

I'll let you know in a couple of days how this goes. I'm on day one, last sub was yesterday morning. It takes a few days to get out of the system.

In the past, I was on methadone. I saw that as a last resort, and when Iwent on it I cried, because I knew that it meant that I was giving up. I did manage to get off of it, though, and was drug free for about 20 years. I became addicted again when I went on pain killers for injuries and pain issues.

I know that long term suboxone is harder to kick than oxycodone, my recent DOC. I wouldn't have gone on it if I thought I'd have to take it for a long time. If I could have done it without subs I would have. My doc told me that in his experience, the older a person is, the harder the w/d. I couldn't do it. In subs, I'm looking for a milder w/d experience. I was unable to wean/taper my opiate use, but had no problem tapering suboxone until I got to doses under 1.5-2mg. No cravings (NONE whatsoever), no w/d. Doc claims that subs even help repair the receptors in the brain. Can you imagine a moment when you are without opiates but don't even give scoring a second thought? It was like being normal, drug free again. When I did c/t, I was physically miserable, and experienced really strong cravings. For me, subs has been a blessing.

And this time around, I won't trick myself into thinking I can control opiates. I always can in the beginning, but it inevitably leads to addiction for me.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It isn't about how long it takes to get off the drug--you are missing the point of medication assisted treatment. The goal of treatment is not to be opiate free. The goal is to stabilize the errant brain chemistry and enable the patient to lead a normal life--and in that, these meds work VERY well.

Many long term opiate users sustain permanent damage to their natural production of endogenous opiates (endorphins), to the pont where even long term abstinence does not result in these chemicals being produced once more by the brain in a natural way. It doies not happen to all long term addicts--hence there are those who DO succeed with abstinence based treatment even after years of opiate abuse--but it does happen to quite a few. Methadone and Bupe rebalance the brain chemistry and replace the missing endorphins without causing a high or euphoria--but this works only as long as the medication is taken. Many patients may need lifelong therapy, just as diabetics who no longer produce insulin naturally must take insulin daily. Another common example is a man who uses anabolic steroids for years, perhaps to enhance sports performance, and then finds he is no longer able to produce natural testosterone. This won't kill him, but it makes his life pretty unpleasant. So, the doctor prescribes testosterone supplements to normalize his body chemistry and correct the symptoms.

The reason so many people can accept these examples as being all well and good but freak out at the idea of taking methadone/bupe long term, is that many people do not really realize that we ALL produce natural opiates and NEED them in order to function normally. Without them, we suffer from severe depression, inability to feel pleasure, exhaustion, and other awful symptoms. This almost invariably leads to relapse, Treatment with an exogenous opioid, carefully selected, can enable the person to feel normal again. Methadone and bupe are good choices as they do not cause a high in stable patients and are long lasting and stable in the bloodstream, without the ups and downs of short acting opiates.

Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

Positively Aware || HIV Information Magazine ||
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can I ask Zenith? Do you work at a methadone clinic? You seem to only pop around, in defence of methadone.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was on Suboxone for around 19 days. I went off of it completely from 2mgs. I have experienced very little withdrawal symtoms. I didn't want to stay on the drug any longer then I had to. The clinic wanted me on it 2-5 years to "heal" by brain. I just believe that was a money making scheme pure and simple because I had told them I was only taking 20-25mg of hydrocodone a day in the first place!

I reliaze some people need to be on Suboxone and Methadone for life because their brains of so damaged for doing high levels of oxys and heroin and my heart goes out to them. But I personally can't see going to a clinic every day to get my 'fix' because I cannot afford to see a private doctor to get Suboxone that way.

I'm lucky to be off of it with relatively no pain. No drug cravings whatsoever.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After taking opiate painkillers for about 5-6 years I wanted to quit using the drugs. My initial attempts at cold turkey failed on multiple occasions, usually after just 2 or 3 days I would be back to using. So I found a doctor and began the Suboxone treatment. It truly worked wonders pretty much completely eliminating the w/d symptoms that always led me back to using. The problem was that I didn't understand recovery. I didn't work on making myself a better person. Staying away from people/places/things that were associated with using. And I definitely didn't understand the concept that "1 is to many and a 1000 is never enough" So yes, the Suboxone helped me, it eliminated most of the w/d's and made it possible to quit. BUT it definitely wasn't a cure all magic bullet and I did relapse. My suggestion with Suboxone is to learn recovery, go to meetings, begin the 12 steps, get a sponsor, eliminate people places and things that remind you of using. Get a big base of learning and understanding the disease, and then start Suboxone treatment. Without a program of recovery that you actively work on a daily basis the Suboxone won't work.

This is just my experience with Suboxone and in no way is it what will happen to everybody, but I hope my experience will aid somebody in their choice of to use or not to use Suboxone.

Aaron
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also think Suboxone is a great drug. It has saved my ass many times. But who can really say wheather that is good or not. Maybe if I had gone through withdrawls more often I would have finally said enough with it. But then again I wasn't working any plan so probably not.

I understand your conection between antabuse and suboxone. Although antabuse is not prescribed as much any more than it was in the past. But addicts also have another option and the ability to go another route when they are off suboxone. That route would be to get a prescription to Naltraxone, the opiate blocking drug in suboxone. Although Naltraxone is rearley prescribed either. I tried once to get a prescription too it from two different doctors who both really didn't want to prescribe it to me. While at the time a few friends and I were still actively using and the only reason I wanted it was in case someone OD's you can cook up a quick shot and wake em up before having to go to the hospital. Not that I told me doctor this, but his reasoning for not prescribing it too me was becasue he thought it was ineffective. quoting his words "Anytime you want to stop taking the drug you can, henceforth you can start taking opiates again. While I do think both of these drugs can be used and used successfully it would be better if they could find a way for them to last longer in your body. So by the time it does run out you may have changed your mind by then.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I was put on a low dose of suboxone for five days only, as part of a hospital detox. I experienced minimal w/d, mostly resltess leg and a few sleepless or reduced sleep nights. I can't imagine how tough the w/d would have been w/o sub, nor can I imagine staying on it at home w/o abusing it.

Sticking my paw in, I remain,
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

But I personally can't see going to a clinic every day to get my 'fix' because I cannot afford to see a private doctor to get Suboxone that way.
Wow! That's kind of judgemental don't you think? The Addictionologist who took care of me in my last detox tried Suboxone with me for several day with absolutely no results at all. That's why the Dr. then put me on Methadone. Not because I didn't have insurance.

In a way, I'm glad I had to go to the Clinic every morning the first few years I was on Methadone. Why? I needed to take that time every morning to remind myself that yes, I am an addict. I took 2 or 3 buses every day to get there and back. You know what I discovered during this time each day? There's a beautiful world out there that I had never before seen. I never took the time or had the time to see it. I only saw misery. There was many a morning when after I got off the bus and walked 9/10 of a mile, I would have tears running down my face as I saw for the first time in my life, the flowers, hear the birds sing, smelled the smell of the fresh morning dew on the ground. For me, this was a Godsend. It also helped me get in shape and lose weight!

Also, I needed to go to any length in order to not pick up. I fought for my Recovery and I am very proud of myself. Did I get up every morning and spend hours sometimes trying to cop? Your damn right. I had to put more energy into my Recovery than I did using.

I no longer have to go everyday to dose. I go twice a week. I did research on the internet and found out that the state of Ohio and the Federal Government does allow, under certain conditions, for take home doses of Methadone to be given to Clients who meet these conditions and criteria. I spent a great deal of time, ten months to be exact, going through the proper channels in order to get this put into effect at the Clinic I go to. I can't tell you what this did for my self confidence which had pretty much been destroyed by my addiction. As a result, I found the courage to apply for jobs that I never, ever would have even considered applying for. Oh, and by the way, I got the one I wanted.

So, as you can see, my experience with a MMT Program has been nothing but a positive one.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been on Suboxone for 31 days now, and I love it! I remember the first 24 hours I had to wait between taking my last oxycodone and taking my first Suboxone..and it wasn't pleasant. Just that taste of withdrawal was hell! I had tried before, many times, to quit the narcotics on my own, but every time those withdrawals would hit, I'd be calling the doctor for more pills. One of the downfalls of working in the medical field is that I NEVER had a problem getting a doctor to write me a Rx for narcotics.

I read about Suboxone and it sounded like the answer to my prayers. I was already stressed out in December. I was drinking a LOT, (I've had gastric bypass, it's a big no-no!) I was taking 20-30 oxycodone's a day, My labs came back twice with liver enzymes and GGT levels that were VERY high! I had to have an iron infusion because my iron saturation was at a 2 (alert status). I went to the ER with abdominal pain, come to find out, it was SEVERE constipation from the narcotics. I went back to the ER 2 weeks later because I was urinating blood!! (bladder/kidney infection).

So, not only had I missed quite a bit of work for these issues, I also had a lot of $$ in co-pays for doctors/ER visits/and prescriptions!! So, I knew it was time to get off the ****, but also knew I couldn't miss any more work!!! So, the Suboxone saved my life, and my job!! I have been healthy since starting the medicine, I haven't missed a day of work, and it's been 31 days since I've touched alcohol or oxycodones or any other drug!!! Woohoo!!

I will get labs done next week just to see where the liver is. I pray that's gone back to a normal range..or something close! I work for a GI group, so we treat liver issues....so if it is something bad, I have great doctors to help me! I really feel good though...so I think that the lft's were elevated from my drinking and pill popping!

Anywhoo...to make a long story longer..I love Suboxone. I have no plans of going off it anytime soon. I see my doctor once a month, we chat, and he writes my Rx for Suboxone, Effexor, and Xanax. I'm on 16 mg of Suboxone right now, but hope to start 12mg this week. My doctor said to try to take as little as possible.

I'm off to watch the Superbowl....and take a nap with the kittens.

Have a good day! xoxoxo
Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was on Suboxone for about five months and it worked wonders. It made all cravings for that high go away with no withdrawal symptoms. But had to come off when I got pg, stayed clean most of pg but weekend after baby born started up again. My OB docs knew I had issues with pills so they would not give them to me, even after I gave birth and I think I resented that a bit. I know, I'm trying to justify starting again BUT this time around I've been clean since Thursday night and do not plan on pills again.

I'm doing therapy this time but how do you find a good therapist? I've tried and the couple I've seen dont feel right. Any suggestions?

Suboxone works. You just have to do the rest of the work and that is where I failed.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
I have been in a Methadone Maintence Treatment Program since July of 2005. I am one of the "success stories" of a successful MMTclient. For this addict, I believe with all of my heart, that Methadone, along with an intensive, 9 month outpatient program which I completed, 12 Step Meetings, a Sponsor, working the 12 Steps, changing my behaviors and a conscious contact with my HP, whom I call God, I have had a complete change in my life. I do feel that even though I am on Methadone, I am in Recovery. I also have chronic medical conditions that cause daily pain, sometimes intensive, for which the Metadone is also helping. I don't get high on the Methadone, it simply fills in for the part of my brain that no longer can produce endorphines on it's own. Since I abused opiates heavily for 25 years, this is a result.

I have never been on Suboxone, therefore I don't think I am qualified to say if it works or not. I'll leave that to the people who have used it, as directed. I hear many people's opinions on Methadone and Suboxone who either haven't been on either of them or if they were, they didn't take it as directed or those who know someone who took it. I don't think anyone is qualified to come out and say something doesn't work at all if they don't have first hand experience with something. Almost like me saying that a medication for jock itch for example doesn't work. If someone did take one of these, as directed and found that it didn't work for them, please don't generalize the use of it as being "negative" for everyone.

However, I feel that these medications should be used as a last resort, when every other avenue has been explored and attempted. I see some very young people at the Clinic I go to who have only used for a year or so. I am by no means saying that this person isn't an addict or doesn't deserve to be able to get treatment. (Quite the opposite, I applaude them for seeking help early in their addiction) I just feel that this early in Recovery a person should try other avenues before getting on Suboxone or Methadone.

I have known several people who were detoxed off of Methadone without any problems. This is because they followed the Dr's orders exactly on how much to taper down to and over what period of time. Sure, if someone tries to do their own detox, more than likely they are going to have a hard time.

My feeling is that if a person has tried every other avenue possible, really tried, not any half a$$ attempts, then I'm all for someone trying to get Clean with the help of Suboxone or Methadone. Sure, the first year and a half that I was on Methadone, I had to go to the Clinic every single morning to dose. Quite frankly, on days that it was below zero and snow up to my knees, it sucked. But did the weather ever stop me from coping dope? I don't think so. I never took a day off from that. Now, I have earned takehome doses where I only have to go twice a week. The benefits of MMT vs. where I more than likely would be now make it a very easy choice for me. I'd rather be alive, happy, joyous and free, than dead. I'd already experienced the jails and institutions, there wasn't much left for me except death.

I'd love to hear others opinions but please, can we keep it in our opinions or first hand knowledge for yourself or if it was someone you know, please specify that.

Thank You,
Judy
It's me, again! Wrote to you earlier, about my 24-yr old son, who's addicted to opiates. Well, I broke down and made an appointment with a Miamisburg doctor, who treats with Suboxone, and the initial appointment is scheduled for March 2. Please pray with me, for an earlier [cancellation], so that I can get him in sooner!

Now, my son tells me that he only wanted it in order to keep from "using", the other night. He says that, now that he is coming down from the withdrawal, that he doesn't really want to be on Suboxone. I'm afraid he doesn't realize how powerful the opiates are over him, and that he may likely need this as a longer-term solution, while he gets other treatment/counseling.

If you are receiving my messages, and would like to become a sort of cybe-sponsor, I'd like to hear from you. Perhaps he would listen better to one who has "been there, done that"!

I wish you the best, and all the blessings you can expect from our Lord, Jesus!

Samara
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved this thread. It predated the creation of our Suboxone forum.

Welcome to SR Samarasam

D