View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nocoincidence56

On The Fence With Suboxone

In the mid-twentieth century antabuse came around as an extension of the direct treatment of a symptom dealing with alcoholism. It was something which would pretty much guarantee a alcoholic not picking up that first drink (woe to the one who tried!). While not drinking, the alcoholic (with help), could look deeper into themselves and possibly understand what forces were causing such destructive symptoms. It was an adjunct to the recovery process....giving that little extra sober time, where maybe, acceptance and surrender would take place.
Moving forward in time to the recent, a new adjunct to treating opioid dependence has come on the scene, Suboxone. Modern medicine has come a long way trying to treat the addictive mind, after-all the problem centers in it. So Suboxone is one of the newer drugs for that purpose. It allows the addict to dampen the cravings while working on a plan of recovery, i.e. an extension of the direct treatment of a symptom. (Please read "The Direct Treatment Of A Symptom" by Dr. Harry Tiebout).
Comparing, in a parallel way, Antabuse and Suboxone in their respective roles as adjuncts to abstinence there seems to be a fundamental difference in how they could be perceived by the person taking it. If the alcoholic takes Antabuse knowing the sickening outcome should a drink be taken, does it suggest acceptance of Antabuse as a negative reinforcement? Suboxone, on the other hand, does not really have such negative consequences if used on top of. The addict has wasted the additional opiate because it doesn't work due to the opioid antagonist in the Suboxone, beyond that, there is no real negative side effect. The question arises, will addicts look on Suboxone as some magic bullet/cure, or an additional tool to use in the recovery process? It seems Methadone has shown itself to be more of a negative benefit than positive one. It seems much harder to detox from Methadone than Heroin itself. It draws into question weather or not the treatment is worse than the disease. Suboxone, on the other hand, is easier for the addict to taper off of. Will it become another Methadone? Who knows? I have to consider the profit motive behind both. I suppose my uncertainty with Suboxone is influenced by Methadone's legacy and weather or not there is a true desire to use it as tool for recovery or just another means of profit with the addict becoming a misguided victim in the process. I know treatment programs go along with Suboxone and there already exists a black-market for it also. Hopefully it will be used as another tool for recovery and the addict will be informed and educated to the point where they may ask themselves the question: Do I really want to get clean and use Suboxone as a TEMPORARY tool in my recovery, or will it be my "magic bullet", and with it I will be okay? No one knows what is in another person's heart, that innermost self, what is one's true motive (do they even know?)? Time will tell..............This has been on my mind for a while, so I thought SR might be a good place to voice it........Thanks.........................A