View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samarasam

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
I have been in a Methadone Maintence Treatment Program since July of 2005. I am one of the "success stories" of a successful MMTclient. For this addict, I believe with all of my heart, that Methadone, along with an intensive, 9 month outpatient program which I completed, 12 Step Meetings, a Sponsor, working the 12 Steps, changing my behaviors and a conscious contact with my HP, whom I call God, I have had a complete change in my life. I do feel that even though I am on Methadone, I am in Recovery. I also have chronic medical conditions that cause daily pain, sometimes intensive, for which the Metadone is also helping. I don't get high on the Methadone, it simply fills in for the part of my brain that no longer can produce endorphines on it's own. Since I abused opiates heavily for 25 years, this is a result.

I have never been on Suboxone, therefore I don't think I am qualified to say if it works or not. I'll leave that to the people who have used it, as directed. I hear many people's opinions on Methadone and Suboxone who either haven't been on either of them or if they were, they didn't take it as directed or those who know someone who took it. I don't think anyone is qualified to come out and say something doesn't work at all if they don't have first hand experience with something. Almost like me saying that a medication for jock itch for example doesn't work. If someone did take one of these, as directed and found that it didn't work for them, please don't generalize the use of it as being "negative" for everyone.

However, I feel that these medications should be used as a last resort, when every other avenue has been explored and attempted. I see some very young people at the Clinic I go to who have only used for a year or so. I am by no means saying that this person isn't an addict or doesn't deserve to be able to get treatment. (Quite the opposite, I applaude them for seeking help early in their addiction) I just feel that this early in Recovery a person should try other avenues before getting on Suboxone or Methadone.

I have known several people who were detoxed off of Methadone without any problems. This is because they followed the Dr's orders exactly on how much to taper down to and over what period of time. Sure, if someone tries to do their own detox, more than likely they are going to have a hard time.

My feeling is that if a person has tried every other avenue possible, really tried, not any half a$$ attempts, then I'm all for someone trying to get Clean with the help of Suboxone or Methadone. Sure, the first year and a half that I was on Methadone, I had to go to the Clinic every single morning to dose. Quite frankly, on days that it was below zero and snow up to my knees, it sucked. But did the weather ever stop me from coping dope? I don't think so. I never took a day off from that. Now, I have earned takehome doses where I only have to go twice a week. The benefits of MMT vs. where I more than likely would be now make it a very easy choice for me. I'd rather be alive, happy, joyous and free, than dead. I'd already experienced the jails and institutions, there wasn't much left for me except death.

I'd love to hear others opinions but please, can we keep it in our opinions or first hand knowledge for yourself or if it was someone you know, please specify that.

Thank You,
Judy
It's me, again! Wrote to you earlier, about my 24-yr old son, who's addicted to opiates. Well, I broke down and made an appointment with a Miamisburg doctor, who treats with Suboxone, and the initial appointment is scheduled for March 2. Please pray with me, for an earlier [cancellation], so that I can get him in sooner!

Now, my son tells me that he only wanted it in order to keep from "using", the other night. He says that, now that he is coming down from the withdrawal, that he doesn't really want to be on Suboxone. I'm afraid he doesn't realize how powerful the opiates are over him, and that he may likely need this as a longer-term solution, while he gets other treatment/counseling.

If you are receiving my messages, and would like to become a sort of cybe-sponsor, I'd like to hear from you. Perhaps he would listen better to one who has "been there, done that"!

I wish you the best, and all the blessings you can expect from our Lord, Jesus!

Samara