Mooring Lines

Old 10-09-2023, 05:50 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

There's too much fun tyo be had to allow myself to get bored.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep

D
Old 10-12-2023, 04:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Once my shoulder heals I will be getting back into the woodshop. I'm really looking forward to that. I have a bit of woodworking to play with before surgery. RIght before I'll set a fire ready to be lit for the time I can get back to work.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds good Charon

D
Old 10-14-2023, 05:01 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Looks likr I'll be adding music (playing drums) to my mooring lines. Maybe I'll get back to snorkeling, diving and fishing after my shoulder is replaced next spring, but music is something I can do all winter. I want to get back to shooting some pool too.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:24 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more lines the better Charon

D
Old 10-15-2023, 06:15 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yep - tighed tight is the best way to stay at the dock.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:32 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Working on a new mooring line - learning to play on a full drum set. Tomorrow the final pieces (sans bass) will arrive. I'll have a full minimal set with a bass pedal but not the drum. I think I'll make a temp bass out of a 5 gallon plastic pail. I pounded oned with a mallet and it sounds about right. Should work for practice. I thought about making a cajun (cajon) bass but I think using a pedal to strike the thin wood would quickly break through. They are made to be played by hand. For practice I'm sure I can make something to hold the bass pedal to allow me to practice wt=ith mi right foot even if it doesn't sound quite right.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it all sounds good Charon
D
Old 12-10-2023, 06:28 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Making the shell for a bass drum didn't work out. Instead I cut my losses and bought a commercial shell.

On another mooring line. Yesterday was pretty mild and we had spotty sunshine. I took advantage of the warmth to install a side kickstand on teh Super Cub. I can now get on and off without swinging my leg over the back. That means I can put the collapsible milk crate back on the rear carrier. Much better than trying to carry stuff in a backpack. While I was at it I took a short jaunt around the neighborhood. It felt good to take a ride. I might do that more. I have artic coveralls & super warm gloves, I might just go for short rides when it's mild and the roads are dry.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:46 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The bass drum shell is to be delivered today. I'm going to get a fire ready to light, set up machines to cut it down to 6" and round the bearing edge. Once I get that done I need to mark and drill the holes for the lugs. After that I can stain the shell. I'll get set up to do that today, but depending on when the shell is delivered, probably won't get to it till tomorrow.

It's supposed to be warm, sunny, and calm today. Might take a short ride on the Cub.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Decided to keep the shell at 12" for now. I can always cut ti down later if I decide to. Did about 15 miles on the Cub to run an errand yesterday. It wasn't too cold, but I don't think I would have enjoyed a much longer jaunt.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I've realized that Mooring Lines apply to more than just the sobriety "dock". There is a "dock" for life as well. My mooring lines to that "dock" are much fewer and not nearly as strong. I'm going to make a Life mooring lines diagram for myself and do a CBA (cost benefit analysis) for staying alive.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:39 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you’re still down Charon.
I hope you have a healthy and happy festive season.

D
Old 01-14-2024, 06:23 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I actually don't care for all the festivities. Not a social person, so all the gatherings are more obligation than something I look forward to. I got through them OK, but it's hard to watch my brother downing one burbon after another and his wife slugging down wine when they both have serious health problems that contraindicate alcohol at any level. But not my monkeys, not my zoo.

I tuned both toms down to a much lower pitch and worked on getting the volume of what I am trying to play to right. Right now I'm back to the very basics of eighth note right and left and alternating. That's all I will record for a while. But I am still enjoying playing. Maybe more because I no longer feel the need to be good. LOL