Mooring Lines

Old 08-27-2023, 02:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

yes the older I get, the more I find that as one door closes another one opens, in terns of vital interests

D
Old 08-28-2023, 05:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm going to take a run on the Super Cub today. About 40 miles, one way, to take a look at a possible snorkeling spot. I doubt the water there will be clear enough, but one of the SMART members suggested it and asked if I'd been there yet. So - fun ride before the meeting this evening and a chance to do a mpg check.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm finding one of my mooring lines to be more and more consuming - my orchids. Growing, collecting data, writing articles on physiology and culture methods, evaluating and culling to make room for speculative purchases. It's something that I can continue till I either die or become incapacitated. I'm realizing how important this insignificant activity is to me and my joy. As I age out of other mooring lines (scuba, paddling, snowshoeing, etc.) this will likely become increasingly important.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
yes the older I get, the more I find that as one door closes another one opens, in terns of vital interests

D
I find this to be true as well. It doesn't happen quite so automatically for me though. Generally, I find that an old mooring line eventually gets played out - then I have to try and either embrace some existing, little used line or search for another, totally new activity. This can be hit or miss for a while, but the process itself can be enjoyable.

Good luck with the orchids, Charon. You seem to have a real talent with them
Old 09-04-2023, 07:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm not so sure I have any talent growing orchids. I call my collection a Darwin Collection. The fittest survived. Although, after 50+ years of growing I probably learned something - if only which orchids to buy.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thought I'd offer a SMART meeting that happens Mondays at 6 PM. You need to make a one time registration. (https://zoom.us/meeting/register/e64...10d14dfea9e911). You get a link in an email. Click on that just before the meeting starts. Hope to see you there.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Two of my important mooring lines are fraying. Scuba is becomming more and more problematic. More importantly, my health is suffering some challenges which might cause the loss of even more mooring lines. Still, I intend to hold fast.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you other interests or pursuits that you might take up to add a couple of new mooring lines Charon?

D
Old 09-12-2023, 06:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I want to get back to woodworking, but in the later years I did a lot/most of my drinking in the woodshop. Even later I stopped woodworking and drank at night in my bed. I have a couple of projects I want to do and I'm pretty sure I won't be triggered - at least not enough to slip. I won't do them while my wife is away, which would be more dangerous. One of the projects is a 12 stave mahogany floor tom-tom. I used to be pretty good playing drums. So I'm going to build a 13" floor tom and see where it goes from there.

Medical stuff is getting complicated. Ortho got back to me and 3-4 months between surgeries is what they recommend unless it's emergency surgery. I need to talk to the surgon who will do the neck surgery (Nov 20th) and then reconnect with ortho about the neck. Unfortunately the shoulder replacement is on Oct 27th. And the lung and thyroid issues are still total unknowns. I don't get the scans and other ordered tests till this friday. Those could toss a wrench into the wholl mess.

Sooooooooooo. I'm going to keep busy and try not to think about it.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keeping busy is good. Good luck with the tests and the surgeries and enjoy the drum making
D
Old 09-17-2023, 06:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Starting on a woodworking project today. Instead of working straight through, the way I used to, I broke it down into small steps that I can do daily. I won't be in the shop long enough to get tired and want a drink. Just long enough to feel satisfied at what I got done. I don't need to be in a hurry. There is a lot of woodworking I want to do, so this approach is a good way to ease into an environment associated with drinking - without drinking or being tempted.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:54 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think small steps is a great idea. Good luck with the project

D
Old 09-19-2023, 05:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Not working on the project today. My wife does hikes, paddles, etc with a group of older people who call themselves the "Crooked Canes". They are having their annual picnic at a state park with a lake I'd like to snorkel. It's a bit raw this morning so I don't know if I'll get into the water, but I'll probably go for the picnic at least. I have an appointment with my therapist at 3 pm near there so it works out.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Today I'll do the first glue-up. First the miters and once the glue dries on those I'll glue in the inserts into the slots through the miters.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes with it Charon

D
Old 09-24-2023, 08:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Inserts glued in. Today I'm going to sand and decide if I dare risk cutting the cross miter channels. Never done that with a frame this big. It might be too big and too heavy. I expect I could do it with help - but that ain't happening.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:34 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Almost finished. Cut the channels and had to make repairs on several. Frame was too big, heavy, and awkward. Since I'm a tinker I'm able to recover pretty seamlessly from my mistakes. No brag, just fact. I've made so many errors that I've had ample experieince correcting them, and so learned what works best and when to just leave it alone - woodworking only.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Done except for attaching the hanger and putting it up. Pics of the overall frame and a closeup of the corners.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:54 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

One of my mooring lines has been scuba diving and snorkeling. All summer I've been putting off any local diving or snorkeling.I just havent seemed that interested. It could be because the underwater world is pretty numb up here but that's not been an issue in the past. I've begun to wonder if I'm still having aftereffects from the near drowning in Florida.If that's it I wonder if it's worth trying to get over it or just let it go. As a mooring line it was pretty low frequency and I've begun to be much more active in the wood shop. Maybe it's time to let the diving line go and replace it with a woodworking one. I could still dive in warm water when I have the chance, but just not have so much dependance on that.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only you can make that choice I think Charon.
As long as you have some 'mooring lines' and not standing around bored