Another term for 'The Beast'?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm still new to this. Haven't personified my AV. Just learning to recognize it and shut it down. Remarkably simple. I do like "my lizard brain", though.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

More to your point, "the beast" is the part of the brain that seeks pleasure. It also controls various things necessary for survival like hunger and fear. If you see a cinnamon roll, "the beast" part of your brain sees it and says "looks good, you should eat that", while your neocortex (thinking/logical part of your brain) says "naw, just ate a while ago. I don't need that."

An example given in the book "Rational Recovery" is: imagine yourself at the end of a high-dive board. Rationally, you know that jumping off will be fun and the water will be exhilarating when you hit it. But your "beast" is frightened. If you give it control you would either stand there indefinitely petrified, or turn back and climb back down the ladder. This, of course, is a metaphor for quitting your addiction. Shut down "the beast" and take the plunge.

The key is to recognize that every single thought that pops into your mind that involves drinking again is "the beast". YOU know you don't want to drink. YOU know that it will end badly. YOU know that never EVER drinking again could only be good for you. But "the beast" wants it. "The beast", because it is part of your brain, has access to all parts of your brain, but it can't CONTROL your brain. It will bring to mind thoughts of how relaxing or fun drinking is. It will bring up memories of good times past that involved alcohol, always glossing over hangovers or any other negative outcomes from drinking.

So, anytime you have any sort of romantic thought about drinking, that's "the beast" trying to manipulate you.

It's called "the beast" because it is a lesser part of your brain that has no real power. It can't make you drink. IT can only try to get YOU to drink. And it will pull out all the stops to that end. But in the end, IT is just a "beast" and YOU are it's master. Don't put up with any crap from it.

Well, that was pretty long-winded. Sorry, just coming off of reading the book so my head is all full of this stuff. I'd recommend reading the book. Really good and helpful stuff.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The lizard in the wizard perhaps? haha

The last few comments I personally found very helpful (thanks)
Old 01-24-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hello!

Finally delving more deeply into this forum.

Learned about AVRT through the newcomers area and it instantly resonated with me. Just ordered Jack Trimpey's book thanks to suggestions from this forum.

Anyway...my AV is a beast but doesn't appear beast-like to me on the outside. She (yep, "she") is the bad friend from high school that always got me into trouble. Always trying to convince me to do something I will regret later. She whispers in my ear and it looks like this

Probably seems silly to some but this image has worked incredibly well for me, as has AVRT in general. Can't wait to learn more from the book as well as from all of your insights.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think of it as my lesser self. I used to refer to myself as a hedonist and I was. I sought out pleasure and there's nothing wrong with that until it starts to cost me tons of pain, that makes me a masochist. Thanks but I'd rather be the Dom in my relationship with my beast.

Last edited by Wholesome; 01-24-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Someone said "you're overthinking this". That's true. The beast(I refuse to capitalize the label) is nothing but an incessant desire for pleasure in any form including destructive form. Don't personalize it, don't name it, don't personify it, don't give it prominence, don't give it power. Deny the destructive impulses it produces. In the case of alcohol, it's as simple as: "No, I don't drink".
Old 01-24-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

After much serious thought, I've decided to name my AV George. George really hates it when I strap bunny ears on him and pat him on the head.

For me, taking a humorous approach makes it clear that I am in charge, and is much more consistent with my mindfulness approach as well.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
George really hates it when I strap bunny ears on him and pat him on the head."
This is great, made me really laugh.

I KNOW I am smarter than my 'base brain'

It's all emotions & the more I learn to deal with them effectively the quieter my whole brain becomes.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself