Blogs

Notices

Another term for 'The Beast'?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah this interesting because wondering something along the same.

Your AV, 'The Beast'…

Would this be that bad guy himself, the Devil as per traditions?

Now I do realize this is in secular connections, but its reminding me of an anecdote…

I was staying in a hostel for a few months last year after breaking up with my ex. Anyways I met this fella Darragh, he was a decent bloke. He was an Irih guy with nationalist sympathies who had converted to Islam (strange combo I know). Anyway he had this disease in his legs, so I used to walk slowly with him into town. I was smoking a bit at the time, so I would be lighting up. Anyways he was all 'man ya don't need need that and ya don't need the drink. Thats the Djinn man, the genies telling you that ya need to have it, its the devils whispering in your ear telling you to go on and smoke another joint, or to have another drink and the they have ya"

Anyways I was pretty fascinated by that! But yano, I kind of dismissed it cos he was very eager to convert me as well. Plus I was enjoying my smoke a lot, it really kept me going that summer and made life easier.

Anyways thats the anecdote! When I hear about this AV it keeps reminding me of that! Like I know these are just terms to explain aspects of the human psyche/ experience. Actually no he was saying that they are real! That they exist in another dimension to us we just can't see it! ...

Hey I don't know he could even be right! Like I have had some unusual experiences myself, metaphysics all that…

Ok then thats all! Good job everyone. Peace
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stratman1 For This Useful Post:
MythOfSisyphus (01-23-2015), SDH73 (01-23-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Trimpey calls it the Beast to keep things simple. It's a novel concept for many people, and the metaphor is a useful one. The Beast isn't an illness, an evil genie, an artifact of psychological wounding, or some mysterious genetic defect - it's simply a name for our lower, or survival, drives which are hard-wired on the principle of if it feels good do it.

Carlygirl, you say the get the concept but dislike the term. OK. Call it Patrick, or French Toast, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you ignore it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riel For This Useful Post:
Carlygirl (07-28-2015), Stratman1 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The Great Deceiver.... best LIAR on the face of the earth whether encountered internally or externally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle82 For This Useful Post:
Carlygirl (07-28-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think of it as AV, my addiction.
The addictive thoughts that stray to escaping reality.
I agree it's best to ignore it, take aways it's power, just another passing thought, not really ME, it can't be me coz I don't want to drink alcohol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticZebra For This Useful Post:
Carlygirl (07-28-2015), freshstart57 (01-10-2015), Wholesome (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Lying liar hole. I drew the connection of my abusive relationship with a bad ex too. Sometimes if the thought of drinking would try to get in I would put his fugly face on a bottle of JD. Major turnoff!
The Following User Says Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
MesaMan (01-13-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Evil genie Lol… So it turns out there are many names then.

What I do know, last night was the first time I actively heard this whisper, it was telling me (and for no good reason?) that it was going to be ok to have a drink. I wasn't long in sending that voice away. I think I am doing a good job of separating my 'AV' from my true self at present, I can see the difference clearly now.

AV had me for a while in a big way! Glory be to God
The Following User Says Thank You to Stratman1 For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I came back here over the last few days as my AV has been stronger recently due to some stress in the household. Forgot that's what it was, feeling much stronger now I'm here again.... Call it whatever you want just DO NOT what it suggests... Ever!
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticZebra For This Useful Post:
Stratman1 (01-11-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I like AV.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Demonic liar works for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
brynn (01-23-2015), Stratman1 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Booze Pimp
The Following User Says Thank You to MesaMan For This Useful Post:
brynn (01-23-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

use guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over thinking this
Old 01-13-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Recovered

"The Committee"
Old 01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

'Overthinking beats overdrinking' ~ Me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MesaMan For This Useful Post:
brynn (01-23-2015), LBrain (01-14-2015), Soberpotamus (01-13-2015), Stratman1 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have been identifying mine as the Devil more recently. And maybe the Muslim lad was not so wrong, it explains a lot to me anyway.

An innocuous example of this would be where I met a guy I know on the street last year. I was friendly enough with him and went to school with his brother, he's a very spiritual dude and he has his life together. He goes 'Well if it isn't the devil himself'...

I was confused by that statement and it went around in my head for months. I was thinking 'how can people have this impression, when I haven't done any harm to anyone and have never tried to lead another person astray'. It makes a lot more sense in light of this AV/ Beast stuff...

It's been a battle alright :/
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Stratman maybe he meant that you are mischievous... coming from the mischievous breed myself I wouldn't let it get to you. But I know that I've had people say things to me however innocent that have left me rattled for days.

My AV is a little dirty liar.... driving home from work this morning (I work nights) my AV whispered, "It wasn't as bad as you thought, you can drink." I thought you little ahole! You're right it was worse than I thought. No I can't have a drink.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

No the guy pretty much says what he means and means what he says, unlike me. A little bit of mischief aint too bad. Whatever you wanna call it, its the thing that has been leading me astray and trying to destroy me, it definitely aint no higher self…

This way is working for me so far, its framing a lot of things correctly. SoberLeigh calls it a demonic liar which is much of a muchness? tomato/potato. Whatever it is, man f*ck that. I don't no how it managed to get its claws into me so good, I am not that guy. Peace
Old 01-14-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

'Well if it isn't the devil himself'...

I remember hearing this one from dear ole Mom, and she was born in 1925. Similar, innocent Phrases - not at all literal - were 'look what the Cat dragged in', and 'now, there's a real piece of work'. You hear these in old b/w Movies.

The cadence of the Phrase suggests to me that it's an old Irish Saying. The inference was that the Person was full of mischief, or 'a real Character'.

-----
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

There's another saying around here too "he's like a man possessed".

Well tbf, the more distance I put between myself and alcohol the more I realize that I was surely that.

I don't know, I juts found the question interesting. I wasn't particularly raised strongly in any tradition but I do believe in God, and have a way to go until I defeat my demons fully yet I feel. I didn't even know this myself while I was drinking, and I'd be lying if I said there are aspects I'm not confused about. Maybe in the wrong forum but hey, sober 3 weeks now, some less negative thoughts at least. Very ashamed but. Peace
The Following User Says Thank You to Stratman1 For This Useful Post:
MesaMan (01-14-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

"Evil Queen"? Drawing from Snow White.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I don't think of my beast as evil or demonic. That feels like hating a part of me. And that's what got me here in the first place.

I think it is most useful to have respect for the Beast. It protects us from danger. Yes it has hedonistic desires but so do dogs. I have created a healthy relationship with my beast. I let it do its best work and I (the more "evolved" brain) do mine. We work together. I am the beast's handler. Like a two year old, a seeing-eye dog, or a teenager, the beast behaves best when solid, clear boundaries are established and maintained without exception.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhatBeast For This Useful Post:
Carlygirl (07-28-2015), CelticZebra (01-24-2015), Stratman1 (01-23-2015)