Moderate Drinking

Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

BRRRRRRRR! Back to bitter cold with snow. You'd think it was winter or something..anyway..checking in to say I am so happy to be free of alcohol..it is the cigarettes that I am at battle with. I have an Rx for Chantix but I did not fill it. The side effects scare me. One of the BEST #1 things that happened while alcohol free is no more anxiety. That is the #1 side effect of Chantix that I am scared of. So I have to find a way..long story short..that is why I went out in the cold and snow was to pick up smokes. *sigh*
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Going in and out of sobriety for a while, I became very "aware" when drinking. (Currently sober for 4+ months.) One thing I noticed is that I just don't enjoy moderate drinking. After one or two drinks, I feel tired and anxious. And on the rare occasions when I actually stopped at that amount, that's all I got out of it--feeling tired and anxious. So when I start playing the "one drink would be nice" trick, I try to remind myself what one drink really feels like, and then I realize that I don't want it. (Well, there is also the reminder that I'm not likely to stop anywhere close to one drink!)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I used to think a "moderate" night was 1 glass of bourbon and 3 glasses of wine. That was a light night, maybe like a Monday or Tuesday. I'd be feeling pretty good about myself for stopping after that.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Yeah, I'd bask in the glow of a night like that for an hour or so, liquorandndrugs. And then I'd think that obviously I was so amazing at being a moderate drinker that I'd have another since I knew my limits so well. And after a couple more since I was so well in control surely it wouldn't hurt to get just a couple hits.

Yup. Moderate. If you give a mouse a cookie...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Moderate???? What's that? When you stop at 1.5 liters of wine and can't get anymore because the stores are closed?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Which by the way....rarely happened....like I would be that unprepared...the horrors!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Which by the way....rarely happened....like I would be that unprepared...the horrors!!!

wow reading these stories is so funny because it's like looking in the mirror.

I'd never have been caught without enough booze after the stores closed.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Moderation never worked for me and I tried for years. I drank to get drunk every time, I even hated the taste of alcohol (If somebody made me a cocktail I had to pretend it was good, hate the taste of all alcohol). I could go days without picking up but once I did I wouldn't stop until the booze was gone or I passed out. If I did run out before I got to my "comfort zone", I'd be miserable for the rest of the night. It was a hellish way of life, I'm So tired of thinking about alcohol every day!! I didn't need it for the first 40 years of my life, how could I possibly need it now?! I don't, it's all an illusion, and I need to just put it behind me. The way I think about people who can drink moderately? They aren't getting the incredible high I did from it, it affects them differently, reason they don't get addicted. My thoughts anyway.

Last edited by undercoverangel; 01-14-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Moderation was never in my vocabulary. The first time I got buzzed on alcohol, I went from buzzed to smashed in less than two hours.