hi secheads!!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi secheads!!

just checking in to see the latest. i have been thinking about a drink lately and i have to get out of that mode.
One drunk will get me back to where my mind obsesses- my mind obsesses for my next drunk.
that is why i quit. I had it down to drinking only once a week. but it was the other six days where i obsessed for that next drunk. i drank every friday in the end. the other six days i would go through the day with that friday in my mind that i couldnt way to get to....
when friday came, there was no forgetting to stop at the store for beer. my mind was like a magnet that went straight to the beer store. it started to drive me crazy. so i quit
Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thts the problem for me..quiting drinking wasn't stopping me from obsession....

I too had an obsession about alchohol a few days ago.

living in the obsession, sober or not...it sucks.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know when I've tried to white-knuckle my way through obsession, I *could* stop drinking for awhile, but it didn't solve the underlying issues, so I'd eventually trick myself into going back to it.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

One recovery tool that I have used with success is the: STOP Thought. I like to believe that I can exert some control over what my mind is up to. After all it is my mind and not some spooky mystery that defiles understanding. Like anything worth doing it takes practice, patience and persistence (the 3 P's). Just keep active in your own recovery and things will get better or at least that is my ES&H.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
One recovery tool that I have used with success is the: STOP Thought. I like to believe that I can exert some control over what my mind is up to. After all it is my mind and not some spooky mystery that defiles understanding. Like anything worth doing it takes practice, patience and persistence (the 3 P's). Just keep active in your own recovery and things will get better or at least that is my ES&H.

Thanks for the post Zen,

Words describing my thoughts can be misleading sometimes. It sounds kinda simple (minded ) to say my actions reveal my true desires ; ....like I may say to myself, " I'm going to quit this F*#kin job" , but when I don't look for another , and continue to show up for work, ...I reason, .. that my actions are saying otherwise. I'm really not going to quit my job.

With drinking , or using, if something pops in my head, say ....visializing myself drinking , or planning to drink, ......but , use the tools I have in recovery not to,

....then I have to call it something other than "wanting " to drink. I figure (again , maybe simplisticly) that if I truly wanted to drink, my actions would prove it, I'd be drinking. When I don't drink (by my action ) , then I have to believe , that ultimately,, I really didn't want to drink .

What do I call it then , ?? I say to myself , " I imagined (visualized )myself drinking" . And not , "oh , I thought about , or wanted a drink today" I really think it's a small distinction , but for me , an important one . The semantic difference between "wanting " , "desiring " "obsessing about" a drink .......or just realizing I just imagined myself .

Gotta end this thought because I mistakedly posted, and there's a time limit to edit , YIKs
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Thanks for the post Zen,

Words describing my thoughts can be misleading sometimes. It sounds kinda simple (minded ) to say my actions reveal my true desires ; ....like I may say to myself, " I'm going to quit this F*#kin job" , but when I don't look for another , and continue to show up for work, ...I reason, .. that my actions are saying otherwise. I'm really not going to quit my job.

With drinking , or using, if something pops in my head, say ....visializing myself drinking , or planning to drink, ......but , use the tools I have in recovery not to,

....then I have to call it something other than "wanting " to drink. I figure (again , maybe simplisticly) that if I truly wanted to drink, my actions would prove it, I'd be drinking. When I don't drink (by my action ) , then I have to believe , that ultimately,, I really didn't want to drink .

I think I edited some of this:

What do I call it then , ?? I say to myself , " I imagined (visualized )myself drinking" . And not , "oh , I thought about , or wanted a drink today" I really think it's a small distinction , but for me , an important one .

The semantic difference between "wanted " , "desired " "obsessed about" a drink .......or just honestly accept I only imagined myself picking up a drink/ drug;.... which ultimately [proved by my action (or inaction)] was never a reality .

Sorry guys' I'm really having a tough time trying to explain the distinction,

For the life of me, I don't know which button I hit that sends a post when I'm not close to finished. LOL That's what I get for not going to school !!

HAHAHAHAheheha
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin
What do I call it then , ?? I say to myself , " I imagined (visualized )myself drinking" . And not , "oh , I thought about , or wanted a drink today" I really think it's a small distinction , but for me , an important one .

The semantic difference between "wanted " , "desired " "obsessed about" a drink .......or just honestly accept I only imagined myself picking up a drink/ drug;.... which ultimately [proved by my action (or inaction)] was never a reality .
I see that I may have a passing thought like; "a beer would be nice to have on this hot day", yet I don't act on that thought. I wouldn't think of that as an obsession. More like wishful thinking. It would good for me to examine that thought and challenge it. Like: sure a beer would be nice except when I start drinking I end up doing great harm to my overall well-being.

However to ruminate over "a beer would be nice to have on this hot day" would be uncomfortable to me. I could see ruminating or obsessing about "having a beer" could not only be uncomfortable for me but stressful too. With the tools of addiction treatment I can diffuse that stress. I like to rid myself or any unnecessary stress if I can.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

That Stop thought is so brilliantly obvious! I'm saying that because I was expecting this great long list. Seriously. Isn't it funny how that is with us. The most obvious thing to do (that I guess others do pretty easily) just didn't come with the Alcoholics DNA package (or OCD's).

I constantly look for things like that when going through something. Okay, what's the "obvious" answer I just can't see!

Kinda like the 12-steps. Simple, really.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

A %#$!!

I posted in the wrong effing forum again!! I hate it when I do that!!! Sorry about the steps reference I thought this was the step forum. :-)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'm still here and still dumb as a fencepost.

kthx
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One stop thought tool is meditation. With meditation, I practice quieting my mind and just have an experience. Now I can experience emotions without judging them. When I'm anxious...I'm anxious. No need to add a bunch of thoughts that make the situation worse. I can look deep as to see where my anxiousness is arising from. For me, insecurity and vulnerability seem to be at the root of much of my anxiety. Then I can do something to make me feel safe. Like reassuring myself that I am safe or do something soothing by being kind to myself.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that this section is here. I was a little afraid that there would be little support for me as my beliefs don't really align with those of AA. Thank you SR for not leaving anyone out.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry Ryan
I wouldn't have namechecked AA in my other post in Newbies had I known.

There's a sticky post at the head of this forum with links to secular recovery groups

D
Old 06-19-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by ryanmar View Post
I'm so glad that this section is here. I was a little afraid that there would be little support for me as my beliefs don't really align with those of AA. Thank you SR for not leaving anyone out.
Kind of a relief, eh? I was thrilled when I found SR. Welcome to SR/SC.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Secular Forum here at SR ryanmar.

Having an addiction treatment plan that is true to my beliefs dose make recovering much easier for me.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry Ryan
I wouldn't have namechecked AA in my other post in Newbies had I known.

There's a sticky post at the head of this forum with links to secular recovery groups

D
No worries.

Yeah I say I was a little relieved because I'm finding it difficult to get too excited about anything right now. I really think that this area will help make things easier.