Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Would you go to a rehab where the medical director has been disciplined?

Would you go to a rehab where the medical director has been disciplined?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Treatment helped me out quite a bit the first time around. I don't regret it at all. It gave me a taste of continuous sobriety that was longer than anything I had been able to accomplish prior to that. At this point, though, I've almost doubled that time.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Katie, I honestly don't believe you need to go to rehab. That only keeps you sober for the time you're there. People get out of rehab and go immediately back to using all the time. And I don't think you need the "education". You know enough about addiction and recovery to teach the class. You just have to put it into practice.
LOL, I suggest meds to my shrink and often he agrees. BTW, I don't have a degree to work in mental health. I have a degree in communications and an MBA, so kind of weird I know.

And I know I have to put it into practice. There are two new SMART meetings down here to go to. BTW, when do you start your LR meeting?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Going into treatment was the best thing I ever did. That's just me.

I didn't even think of investigating each Doc/Counselor individually. I just knew the reputation of the treatment center was stellar.
Just a crazy guess and I am probably wrong, but Hazelden?

I am glad you liked wherever you went. I've only done one IP treatment (and a few others OP ), but the IP was back in 1977 in the beginning of the whole treatment movement (ok, so I am a slow learner and old ).
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
BTW, when do you start your LR meeting?
It starts meeting on Saturday.

Of course, I may be the only one meeting...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It starts meeting on Saturday.

Of course, I may be the only one meeting...
Wow! Kudos to you You have my admiration. Wish I could be there. Just curious, but how did you go about setting this up? I am assuming you talked to someone in the Bay Area to do this? Or did you not have to do that?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I just learned today that there are now THREE SMART meetings I can go to here. I think the plan is to just stay put, go to SMART and muddle through. Thanks. Thanks all!
Katie, that's fantastic.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Just curious, but how did you go about setting this up? I am assuming you talked to someone in the Bay Area to do this? Or did you not have to do that?
I found a meeting room and printed some flyers and brochures online, told my mental health facility and my relapse prevention group about it, and I'm gonna put some flyers up around town. I'll list the meeting with the LifeRing Service Center soon so people can find it online. I've done this once before in another area, but it didn't really take off. It may not take off here either, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I found a meeting room and printed some flyers and brochures online, told my mental health facility and my relapse prevention group about it, and I'm gonna put some flyers up around town. I'll list the meeting with the LifeRing Service Center soon so people can find it online. I've done this once before in another area, but it didn't really take off. It may not take off here either, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
Oh, that's a different approach I might try at some point.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Katie -- Not Hazelden, just a local place here. I did OP once and relapsed then IP not long after that. It did help that I was at the end of my rope and so done with drinking. I was ready and excited for IP. Before that, I managed to stay sober for 2 years with no treatment or meetings of any kind. I was pretty miserable nonetheless.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Although I see nothing wrong with doing research and having concerns with the director of a rehab, but I feel the most important components in finding recover is having the willingness to do the work and an open mind. Recovery has everything to do with you and working the program. We all have made mistakes and hopefully have learned from them.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Although I see nothing wrong with doing research and having concerns with the director of a rehab, but I feel the most important components in finding recover is having the willingness to do the work and an open mind. Recovery has everything to do with you and working the program. We all have made mistakes and hopefully have learned from them.
I disagree. If I am paying big bucks, I want a big return for my money. This means someone who is mentally healthy equipped with the best brain to help me.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Fair enough, but how many times have you been to rehab now? My point was that it boils down to you and whether or not you want to get sober or not. Won't you be dealing with counselors and other patients? How much contact have you had with Director in the past? The rehab will help you if you put your full efforts into what there is to learn. The Director may had made some bad choices, but it is up to the choices you make from here on out. I hope this doesn't develop into a reason as to why your treatment didn't work. If you are truly concerned, find a different treatment center. I think you are over looking the point that the big returns comes from you and the efforts you put forth.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Fair enough, but how many times have you been to rehab now? My point was that it boils down to you and whether or not you want to get sober or not. Won't you be dealing with counselors and other patients? How much contact have you had with Director in the past? The rehab will help you if you put your full efforts into what there is to learn. The Director may had made some bad choices, but it is up to the choices you make from here on out. I hope this doesn't develop into a reason as to why your treatment didn't work. If you are truly concerned, find a different treatment center. I think you are over looking the point that the big returns comes from you and the efforts you put forth.
Enough times to know how to teach the class.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Enough times to know how to teach the class.
Sometimes self knowledge or mastery over a particular subject matter is actually a block. Here's a personal example. I am a licensed clinical therapist. I have nifty little letters behind my name. I do a lot of work with family dynamics, particluarly effective listening and communication training.

A gift for me in sobriety is my amazingly tolerant wife, who did not know me when I was an active drunk. Sometimes, after I have spent the entire day working with families or individuals on learning how to communicate their emotional needs, I can be distant, sarcastic, or irritable. fortunately, I recognize this quickly, take action to make it right and move on.

Do you see where I am going with this? one last idea to consider: who would you rather learn mountaineering from if that was a hobby you were interested in. A guy who has a PH.D in Mountain climbing that he earned in college by reading and writing all about it, or a guy that has actually summited Mt. Everest. I know who I would pick.

Not trying to harass or give you a hard time, just putting out some different perspectives to consider.