Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Would you go to a rehab where the medical director has been disciplined?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This may seem like a dumb question, but everyone makes mistakes, right? I did some research and the offense was writing a fraudulent script for a legend drug. In turn, the Dr. was sentenced to community service and a fine and to the impaired provider program (where part of the therapy is 12 step!) Oh, the irony of considering a non 12 step place where the director has to go to 12 step.

Anyway, maybe I'm crazy for even considering this place still, but I'm really running out of options. Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would consider alot more than that....everyone makes mistakes....especially in addiction....but then I'm on diciplinary right now...so i guess i feel extra forgiving at the moment.

oh and there are people who helped me get sober who are not sober today...so...i don't know.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whats a "legend" drug?

I'll bet most directors have 12 step experience because many of them are former addicts.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Whats a "legend" drug?

I'll bet most directors have 12 step experience because many of them are former addicts.
It was for a drug like Spanish Fly, that aphrodesiac.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Katie,

What causes you concern about this director? Bottom line? I have several physician friends who are in recovery thanks to the diversion programs. For me, some one who has "been there, done that" can relate better to me.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Spanish Fly"? Um, can you provide more detail? This sounds really crazy to me.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Katie,

What causes you concern about this director? Bottom line? I have several physician friends who are in recovery thanks to the diversion programs. For me, some one who has "been there, done that" can relate better to me.

Love,

Lenina
Well, because this is the second rehab I've investigated where I found legal actions against someone at the top. It does cause concern. My Dr. today told me to check to see if he is board certified, which he is not. My concern is that someone at least as good as my Dr. here be in charge if that makes any sense at all, as this rehab is dual diagnosis and I only want someone who has a clean history. I want the person to be more mentally healthy than I am to treat me. And this is a huge part of my resistance to 12 step programs, as to have a sponsor who even might be more crazy than I am scares me. Just because someone isn't drinking doesn't mean I should follow their lead. Does that make sense?

That Spanish Fly is rumored to be an aphrodesiac. Can't tell you more than that.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

were you aware that most drug and booze councilers were addicts them selfs ? But we find trust in knowing they too have been in the same places we have been .
Its kinda like a expectent mom trying to get a male OBGYN to understand child birth , sure they know but they REALLY dont .
Were all not perfect and its recovery your after , It dont matter how smart or wise they are to help you with your addictions its up to YOU to apply and make the right choices . So with that said . why not go .. cant hurt esp if your running out of choices . One does what ever one must to acheive soberity .
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

and added note ... spanish flys .. i thought those were nly something you bought in the vending machines in the bathrooms at truck stops . Im sure the script must of been something other then that name its self
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Katie if you are going to spend a lot of money on this rehab you need some security.

I know that the results of rehab cannot be assured but you need to know that the person at the top is at least trustworthy.

Could you perhaps ask to speak to former patients or see the treatment plans and mission statement up front?

If they have nothing to hide they should be fairly open about their methods and aims.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Well, because this is the second rehab I've investigated where I found legal actions against someone at the top. It does cause concern. My Dr. today told me to check to see if he is board certified, which he is not. My concern is that someone at least as good as my Dr. here be in charge if that makes any sense at all, as this rehab is dual diagnosis and I only want someone who has a clean history.

I think it's good that you are looking for a competent doctor concerning rehab. Does your current doctor have anyone to recommend who is board certified?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Katie if you are going to spend a lot of money on this rehab you need some security.

I know that the results of rehab cannot be assured but you need to know that the person at the top is at least trustworthy.

Could you perhaps ask to speak to former patients or see the treatment plans and mission statement up front?

If they have nothing to hide they should be fairly open about their methods and aims.
Well, that's just it. If one is willing to risk one's hard earned medical career over fraud, I don't know they are trustworthy. I have seen their treatment plans and I could ask to speak to former patients, but who knows if this would be for real.

I just learned today that there are now THREE SMART meetings I can go to here. I think the plan is to just stay put, go to SMART and muddle through. Thanks. Thanks all!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I think it's good that you are looking for a competent doctor concerning rehab. Does your current doctor have anyone to recommend who is board certified?
Nope, sure doesn't. Options are SUPER limited to non 12 step programs.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I found out after I graduated from rehab that my counselor was smoking crack the entire time and look at me, a shining example of serenity and sanity.

Seranity
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
I found out after I graduated from rehab that my counselor was smoking crack the entire time and look at me, a shining example of serenity and sanity.

Seranity
A shining example of mental health and someone I'd want to take direction from. But I am glad things did work out for you in spite of it. As a sidenote, after reading a couple of threads on the economy in another forum, I am REALLY glad I am not going to pursue rehab at this time.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

A shining example of mental health and someone I'd want to take direction from. But I am glad things did work out for you in spite of it. As a sidenote, after reading a couple of threads on the economy in another forum, I am REALLY glad I am not going to pursue rehab at this time.
He was actually a really good counselor. I just thought he was highly motivated. LOL. Poor guy is still out there smoking rock. That's about 6 years now. yuck
Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
He was actually a really good counselor. I just thought he was highly motivated. LOL. Poor guy is still out there smoking rock. That's about 6 years now. yuck
Yeah, it's just that I left a job a month ago in mental health. Here I was acting like I had it together while popping open a bottle of wine first thing in the door everynight. I may have done my job ok, but I always felt like I was hiding the real me and if I was going to do the deal, I should at least be mentally healthy myself. I guess that's part of the reason I only want to take direction from mentally healthy people. I think support is great from those who have been there, done that, but if I am paying for a service, I want the best (have had too many bad experiences with both therapists and shrinks I guess)

Oh, and too, I was involved with someone who did homeless outreach in mental health. Of course I assumed anyone doing homeless outreach in mental health was a good guy. He turned out to be an abuser. He had some real issues himself and damaged me. But I digress.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Katie, do you have a degree?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

As a sidenote, after reading a couple of threads on the economy in another forum, I am REALLY glad I am not going to pursue rehab at this time.
Katie, I honestly don't believe you need to go to rehab. That only keeps you sober for the time you're there. People get out of rehab and go immediately back to using all the time. And I don't think you need the "education". You know enough about addiction and recovery to teach the class. You just have to put it into practice.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Going into treatment was the best thing I ever did. That's just me.

I didn't even think of investigating each Doc/Counselor individually. I just knew the reputation of the treatment center was stellar.