From 12 steps to AVRT

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree
I like that you mention conviction, desire for a better life, etc. etc. because that is more empowering than focusing on the powerlessness of alcoholism. However, I will continue to remind myself that I am powerless once alcohol goes into my body. But I don't think I am powerless over the decision to pick up that first drink.
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Thats the EXACT realization that I came to. Once I take a sip or do a line it takes on a life of its own and Bad Sht Happens. Maybe not right away, but it always does. I don’t need to test that theory any more. The only logical course of action is not to drink or snort. At that point the AV kinda just went away. It had nothing to offer me.
Thanks MM. I don't want to test that theory or ever listen to the voice that says you can have one drink and stop.

I did want to add that another kind SR member from the other side of recovery on SR whose posts have helped me a lot over the years, PM'd me to remind me that the powerlessness we have is only over alcohol/our DOC, and not over anything else. I appreciated that reminder--it was empowering.

I think the key is, whatever recovery method we chose to use, is that we don't feel like we are powerless over everything and everyone, but just over whatever it is we are addicted to. But we can gain the power to not listen to the addictive voice, whatever we choose to call it.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
But we can gain the power to not listen to the addictive voice, whatever we choose to call it.
Pathwaytofree, I don’t know who your mentor was “from the other side of things” but I believe they are a very wise person, indeed. Similar advice to that from my second sponsor (who left AA after 30 years - although that may not be relevant) is how I stopped drinking myself into my grave.

I’m so pleased for yo:u, Pathwaytofree, and I really hope that you pass on this information to all of your future sponsees.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Pathwaytofree, I don’t know who your mentor was “from the other side of things” but I believe they are a very wise person, indeed. Similar advice to that from my second sponsor (who left AA after 30 years - although that may not be relevant) is how I stopped drinking myself into my grave.

I’m so pleased for yo:u, Pathwaytofree, and I really hope that you pass on this information to all of your future sponsees.
What a lovely post! Thanks Tatsy!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
RIP Robby. Thinking of you.
I miss Robby too
He always had a unique and interesting perspective on things and walked to his own drum. RIP Robby.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

So much of this is a matter of perspective. The goal is simple; quit. However, our personalities, life experiences, and attitude about life jumble together. Add some booze, and it's crazy time. I've tried the "one day at a time" thought process, there is a feeling of inevitability to it though. I've tried the "I'm diseased" approach, but inside I know I'm not. I'm just a guy that goes all in for binges, and over the years they have become pretty disgusting. I'm not sure if I've had an urge to beat myself up, or lose myself, or hide, most likely all of the above.

This book is very practical. I also like the statistics he throws around about success rates using various techniques. So far, it resonates well with me. I've never been much of a "group" person, I'm not big on "sharing". I just want to live my life on my own terms. Cutting this AV out is just one thing, one simple thing, to focus on. KISS.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi thankful, I’m glad you found this little corner of the internet. As you say, we are all different. I also believe that consequently, different quitting methods are suitable for different types.

Having a background in AA, plus myriad other attempts at stopping drinking by various methods. I guess SR was my last hope saloon after my last sponsor left AA, she suggested I consider the neurological explanation of addiction, rather than the disease/spiritual one.

And, I dove in deeply, researched addiction, read all the AVRT threads on SR, plus the book, and it deeply resonated with me. In September 2016 I made my Big Plan and began practising AVRT if a craving arose.

Consequently, I experienced many positive outcomes, from regaining my power and quitting drinking; from not being required to attend meetings; to not counting days (which implies I might drink in the future and if I did, I’d fall apart at the loss of my consecutive run); to not having to say I’m Tatsy and I’m an alcoholic’ (which is the opposite of a positive affirmation and in fact made me feel hopeless); to not having to pray to a God who’d stood by and watched my nephew die of cancer; to accepting the fact that I used to be addicted to alcohol, due to the brains design; to being hugely relieved that my past addiction no longer defines me, it’s simply part of my history.

It’s all positive and empowering and this positivity and empowerment has seeped into all areas of my life, as I flourish, post addiction.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm getting complaints about the AA topic in this forum so I'm going to have to close this thread since the AA topic continues.