Notices

24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club ~ Part 14

Old 05-31-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

8 Weeks today. Irritability has definitely been by biggest hurdle these past two weeks with the reduction in nicotine in Step 2 patches. I should move to Step 3 based on the suggested schedule, but I have a few extra Step 2 patches from a previous attempt that I've decided to use up and prep myself for the next decrease. Trying to stay committed for myself and for my family.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:00 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vxper View Post
8 Weeks today. Irritability has definitely been by biggest hurdle these past two weeks with the reduction in nicotine in Step 2 patches. I should move to Step 3 based on the suggested schedule, but I have a few extra Step 2 patches from a previous attempt that I've decided to use up and prep myself for the next decrease. Trying to stay committed for myself and for my family.
Congratulations! It's 5 months for me today.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:31 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Oh the irritability! I remember just hearing someone breathing irritated me! I had to force myself to be nice. I'll be honest, it used to prevent me sleeping at times. Ridiculous but true.
Ride it out, it'll pass.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 05-31-2022, 11:32 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

RunningScared, go you! 5 months is fantastic - nearly at half a year!
More power to your elbow!
Much Love
Bute x
Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Hopefully it will pass! I’ve never done the patch to quit tobacco! So I can’t speak on that!

But I suck on nicotine pouches (zyn 3 mg and ON 2 mg) all day without the tobacco! I have no intension of getting off nicotine because I’m afraid I’ll go back to tobacco if I do!

I know nicotine replacement therapy is not intended for long term use! I’m not a doctor and we can’t give medical advice! I can only tell you what’s been working for me! I just stay on nicotine therapy cause I still think it’s far better than going back to tobacco!

Congratulations for staying off the tobacco!
Old 06-01-2022, 07:56 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Running scared! That’s fantastic! 5 months! Congratulations!
Old 06-18-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

This thread is kind of slow. Everyone still doing well? If you slip, start again. I'm still hanging in there, although I still get the occasional smoking dream.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:02 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Good job runningscared! 3 months of tobacco free for me! I’m over the hard part of really wanting to do it again! I get the urges every once in a while but don’t want to worry about the consequences of using again!
Old 06-20-2022, 03:01 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Keep the good work Uncle Holmes and Running Scared

You'll never regret that healthy move! ☼

Old 06-20-2022, 08:56 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I had my first father's day yesterday and my first day with no patch, having completed my step 3 ones. It's been 11 weeks for me without smoking. I've been here before, I haven't yet surpassed by record to remaining smoke free (which is around 5 months) but I'm trying as hard as I can. I have to keep with it for the sake of myself and my new son.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:09 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I had my first father's day yesterday and my first day with no patch, having completed my step 3 ones. It's been 11 weeks for me without smoking. I've been here before, I haven't yet surpassed by record to remaining smoke free (which is around 5 months) but I'm trying as hard as I can. I have to keep with it for the sake of myself and my new son.
Wow very inspiring there vxper! I see how hard you’re trying to quit for good! Just wondering though: As far as following the steps on the patch method - is it all or nothing? In other words, let’s say you follow all the steps on the patch and quit smoking and you’re at that 5 month mark again and the cravings to start smoking again are unbearable!

Wouldn’t it be better to get back on the patch again or take nicotine in some form like nicorette gum and lozenges or zyn pouches instead of picking up a cigarette again?
Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Good point and I have thought about going and getting a pack of nicotine gum as an emergency stop gap. I am very familiar with the insidiousness of this addiction and living in a city I'm about 5 min away from getting a pack and a lighter wherever I'm at.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:26 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

On a more positive note, summer is in full effect where I live and walking outside this morning to go to work and I was hit with all of the smells of the fresh cut gas and blooming flowers. I took a just a second to recognize it as one of many benefits of not damaging my senses with smoke 24/7.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:24 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

6 months now!! I didn't start smoking after my $6000 scam loss, which I talked about in the weekender thread. It was sure tempting. Change your passwords every three months! I know it is a pain. My Mac has an automatic password generator and I would think there would be something similar for windows. I hope everyone else is still successful in their stop tobacco endeavors.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:38 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunningScared View Post
6 months now!! I didn't start smoking after my $6000 scam loss, which I talked about in the weekender thread. It was sure tempting. Change your passwords every three months! I know it is a pain. My Mac has an automatic password generator and I would think there would be something similar for windows. I hope everyone else is still successful in their stop tobacco endeavors.
Congratulations on 6 months runningscared! Sorry to hear you got scammed and surely that could’ve been the thing to set you off again to start smoking! So glad you didn’t and keep up the good work!
Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Sorry to say I relapsed tonight on tobacco after 4 months of being tobacco free! I’ve been thinking about doing it for a while! Couldn’t stand it anymore and actually might benefit me if I keep it short term!

Let me explain how it might benefit me short term! In February I landed my dream job! Good pay and about the best company out there in my field!

Lately I’ve been getting stinking thinking! And it’s getting bad! The self-pity, loneliness, anger, frustration, fear has gone through the roof! I’ve been taking this job for granted! My attitude has been bad! Always thinking this company is out to get me and taking advantage of me! The shine and good feeling about landing this good job has worn off!

I can’t lose this job! I’ll never get a job that pays this well and has this kind of quality! Actually it’s my alcoholic thinking that is contributing to this! Even though I haven’t drank in 30 years the dry drunk syndrome can come and go at any time!

Tonight I bought a can of dipping tobacco and cigars! I stuffed the dip in my lower lip and just sat back and enjoyed! Sort of like rewarding myself! After that I went outside and smoked a cigar to reward myself! I didn’t inhale! But no cigarettes! I’m an ex-smoker and definitely don’t want to start those again!

My main battle in life is alcohol! That is one thing I can never do again! So the dip and cigars are my way of going out and tying one on instead of with the alcohol and cigarettes! And it’s my way of coping with the stress of the job!

Once again I’m sorry I let everyone down on this thread! I encourage you to not do what I did! Keep up the good work! Do it for your health and well-being!
Old 07-15-2022, 10:37 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

It's so easy to relapse. It usually takes people multiple attempts before they finally quit permanently. I used to have a stressful job and that's a big reason why I smoked. You'll eventually do this!
Old 07-16-2022, 06:23 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunningScared View Post
It's so easy to relapse. It usually takes people multiple attempts before they finally quit permanently. I used to have a stressful job and that's a big reason why I smoked. You'll eventually do this!
Thanks runningscared! Hopefully I can get it together and quit again!
Old 07-18-2022, 09:07 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Once again so sorry I started dipping again! The whole 4 months I was off dip I was taking in large amounts of nicotine through zyn and on nicotine pouches! Maybe I should’ve gotten off all nicotine?

As of now the most and best I can do is cut back! For my job I’m out on the road away from home delivering freight for 6 days and have home time for 2 days! Right now I’m at home! Did pretty good actually today up until an hour ago! All day no dip or nicotine at all! Went to the gym and got a good cardio workout in then sauna and whirlpool! Then I recently did a dip and now have a 3 mg zyn nicotine pouch in my mouth as I type this!

I’ll continue to cut back as much as I can! That’s the best I can do right now! My long term goal is to he nicotine free for good! I encourage others to not smoke or do any tobacco products and get off of all nicotine for good eventually!
Old 07-18-2022, 09:41 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

I came to check on you Uncle. I'm sorry you went back.
Interested to know what, for example, you'd tell someone who said the most they can do right now is cut back on drinking?

Addictions addiction - dont settle for second best man!

D